IGNORED

Callaway Razr X or Ping G15 or Mizuno JPX 800 ?

Note: This thread is 4020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes they are, I spoke to local golf shop and they notified him that all the JPX-800's except the HD's were being replaced with new models.

Originally Posted by Matchupo

JPX 825??

This is exactly what i was wondering this week, if Mizuno would launch a new line soon. So either I would prefer the new model, or if not I would save 200$ on the JPX 800...

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's also a picture of the standard 825s on the Mizuno USA Facebook page.

-Bryan

Bag: TM Superfast Driver, TM Burner '08 3W, GigaGolf Irons, Yes! Sandy Putter

Originally Posted by Matchupo

...Not the G15!

After trying these 3, I at least rapidly eliminated the G15. I really liked the JPX 800 and the Razr X. Now I dont know which one to choose! I think I prefered the JPX 800. If anyone has positive or negative feedback about these two iron sets please let me know!

WOW!

I'm very surprised to hear this...seems that everyone (98.73% of people...haha) pointed me at the G15's or G20's when I was looking for new irons a month ago. I went from Callaway X-20's to the G15's and...HOLY COW!

I'm super happy with the G15's...a mis-hit with these is barely a "mis-hit", the feel and total weight balance is amazing and I actually love the look of them at address...even the thick sole!

Driver: TaylorMade R7 Superquad 9.5* & Callaway Diablo Octane 10.5*

3 Metal: TaylorMade R11 15.5*

Irons: Ping G15 stiff, steel AWT shafts 4-PW

Hybrids: Adams #3 - 20* & #4 - 23*

Wedges: Callaway Forged X-Tour 52* & 58*

Putter: Odyssey 33" White Ice #1

Originally Posted by erock9174

Did you consider the JPX800HD's?

Reason I ask is I have averaged 91 per round over the past 2 years.  82 being my best score, a few 80's mixed in and 2 rounds in the 100's.  So low 90's is pretty much my score depending on how I putt.

Anyway, I began playing the JPX800 HD's last month.  Very nice looking club, and not as chunky as most SGI clubs.  Also the Fli-Hi 4 and 5 direct iron replacement is a pretty cool idea.  Basically a smaller-ish hybrid head similar in shape to the Ping G15 hybrid, and the length is the same as a normal 4 and 5i and not overly long like most hybrids.

At your current score level I'd consider them over the regular 800's.  I think of the 800HD's as more of a 15+ capper club, the regular 800's a 10-15 capper club and under a 10 cap the JPX800 Pro's.

Not that you couldn't lesson up and swing improve into the normal 800's but if you don't have the time and money for lessons like me the 800HD's were a nice addition to my bag.

By the way, the other clubs in my search were the Ping G15's, Adams Redline, Adam A12OS and the 800HD's won out.

My previous irons were Burner Plus and Wilson Di11's.

Ah, so you ditched the Burner Plus' I see !      Funny, I'm in exactly the same boat ... would like to upgrade them to the JPX800's (I like a 4 iron over a 4h) - but can't justify it - I'm hitting the BP's so well lately.     I think I'm gonna wait it out for a while ... have you seen much of an improvement in your game since upgrading ?    I'd really like to know how the Mizuno's compare to the BP's in terms of feel and off center hit forgiveness.   THX !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by inthehole

Ah, so you ditched the Burner Plus' I see !      Funny, I'm in exactly the same boat ... would like to upgrade them to the JPX800's (I like a 4 iron over a 4h) - but can't justify it - I'm hitting the BP's so well lately.     I think I'm gonna wait it out for a while ... have you seen much of an improvement in your game since upgrading ?    I'd really like to know how the Mizuno's compare to the BP's in terms of feel and off center hit forgiveness.   THX !

Last year's avg per round was a 91.5 (while gaming the BP's).

This year's avg per round so far with the HD's is probably more like a 92/93 range.

But my game is completely different since last year.  Last season I couldn't hit a driver to save my life but my short game and putter was working well.  Very little 3 putting.

This year, once I got my driver woes figured out and swing changed I am hitting probably 65% of the fw and my misses are like 2nd cut.  I might have one bad one per rd.  Downside is my short game has gone to crap and putting is awful.

In both years I am not hitting many greens on approaches which is where I need the most work.  No iron is going to solve that.  My problem is hitting the ground slightly before the ball which I believe is causing accuracy issues.

Back to the club talk.....Honestly I had nothing against the BP's.  Actually my best rounds ever score wise were last year when I was gaming them.

I will say that with the BP's when you flushed a shot it felt pure or hollow/vacant (as others describe it).  With the JPX800HD's everything kind of feels the same whether flush or mishit.

The Di11's had a really nice feel to them and look less chunky than most SGI irons but I couldn't get passed their lofts.  With that set I needed to play a 4 and 5 hybrid as well as a 5i to get my gaps right.  Also they only have about 3* separation each between the 9i, PW and GW.  That equated to about 7yds instead of the normal 10 yds gap I like in my irons.  So with that in mind I would have needed tor revamp my wedge scheme and add another wedge which I didn't want to do nor had room for in the bag.

I've always been a fan of the Mizuno look and when I first saw the HD's fell in love with them.  Downside was the $800 price tag.  After the Di11's gaps weren't working for me I stumbled into my local shop and they had a set of mint HD's on the used rack.  Worked out a good deal and I couldn't pass them up price wise.  I feel like I am hitting them well.  The 4 and 5 fli-hi hybrids are a nice addition and work seamlessly with the 6i gap wise.  (I've always struggled with the length of traditional hybrids).

With my scoring irons I always seem to be pin high so my yardage is dependable with them however I am either pulling or pushing them.

I took a lesson on accuracy so I think I am lining up right.  Just need to hit the range and work on it more.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Thanks for the reply - I can't wait to try out the Mizzy's.     I know what you mean, when I catch the BP long irons just right, it's amazing, but when you don't, you know it.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• 1 month later...

I was fitted for a set of Razr X irons last year.  I absolutely love them!  Very easy to hit and also very forgiving.  After being properly fit for clubs I have shaved off at least 7 strokes off my game. The Raxr X irons are great!

Originally Posted by erock9174

At your current score level I'd consider them over the regular 800's.  I think of the 800HD's as more of a 15+ capper club, the regular 800's a 10-15 capper club and under a 10 cap the JPX800 Pro's.

That is the recommended handicap range for each iron set.  However, my scores have been much more consistent since I switched from a "players iron" the Taylormade r7 TP to the "game improvement" JPX-800.  I've had my set 4 iron - gap wedge since Dec. 11' and I love them.  The biggest difference for me was consistent distance with my 4, 5, and 6 iron.

• 6 months later...

Matchupo,

What did you decide on? I realize the 800's are on their way, but I just bought a set and the feel of them are fantastic. I have yet to have a round with them, but from what I gather (with a bit of research) the 825's are an improvement from its predecessor. But by how much, not sure. Out of my price range anyway.

Put it this way, I have no regrets. I know i will be enjoying using them out in the fairway.

Regardless of which one you choose, you're gonna enjoy them.

Cheers

Note: This thread is 4020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!