IGNORED

2012 John Deere Classic Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rooting for a 4-peat from Stricker.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

go stricker!!!!!

My Bag: Nike Vapor X
Driver: Diablo Octane Tour Project 7.0  X-Stiff
Woods: Callaway RAZR 3 wood Adilla NVS 65 g X-Stiff
Hybrids: Taylor Made Burner Superlaunch 3-18*, 4-21*, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 75
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 5-PW TrueTemper X-300
Wedges: Maltby Tricept 52*/6, 56*/10; 60*/6 TrueTemper S-400
Putter: Yes! Emma 37" Belly Putter 
Ball: NXT Tour

based on the gaging, can they wash out the playoff and give the trophy to Stricker?

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

LOL, I wondered why everybody was talking about Michelle Wie, and then noticed that these posts are from 6 years ago! Recycling is nice and all, but can't you cheapskates spring for a new thread? Anyway, I was kind of sorry to see Stricker blow his shot at "equaling" Tiger with a four-peat. But the guy on CBS made up for it by saying Zach was "on the cusp of one of the biggest wins of his life." I hadn't realized that the John Deere was right up there with the Masters.
  • Upvote 1

Originally Posted by brocks

But the guy on CBS made up for it by saying Zach was "on the cusp of one of the biggest wins of his life." I hadn't realized that the John Deere was right up there with the Masters.

I'm sure they said that because the Quad Cities is basically a hometown event for him.  I'm sure that the win did mean a great deal to ZJ--he's a grounded, family kind of guy.  The type of guy for which "home" is a word with special meaning, unlike your man-crush Tiger.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The type of guy for which "home" is a word with special meaning, unlike your man-crush Tiger.

This is me not taking the bait. In fact, I admit I'm kind of impressed at how you managed to insult two icons of the game in a single sentence.

Originally Posted by brocks

LOL, I wondered why everybody was talking about Michelle Wie, and then noticed that these posts are from 6 years ago! Recycling is nice and all, but can't you cheapskates spring for a new thread?

Anyway, I was kind of sorry to see Stricker blow his shot at "equaling" Tiger with a four-peat. But the guy on CBS made up for it by saying Zach was "on the cusp of one of the biggest wins of his life." I hadn't realized that the John Deere was right up there with the Masters.

I heard them talking earlier in the week about how Zach considered this his 5th major because of its proximity to his home.

I was conflicted in my rooting.  Stricker is a great guy and one of my favorites, but does he really belong in a group containing Young Tom (it was young Tom, wasn't it? not old Tom), Hagen, Sarazen, and Tiger?  I guess he would have had he done it, but maybe this is just an indication of just how hard it is to do, and why there are only 4 guys who ever have.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stricker is a great guy and one of my favorites, but does he really belong in a group containing Young Tom (it was young Tom, wasn't it? not old Tom), Hagen, Sarazen, and Tiger?

No, winning the Deere four times in a row is not easy, but it's a lot easier than doing it at Bay Hill. When Stricker won it last year, its field strength was worth only 30 WGR points. The only regular tour event worth less was the Valero Texas Open, which, by the way, accounts for two of Zach Johnson's other wins. Bay Hill averaged over 60 WGR points in the years Tiger four-peated it. It's been a little under that more recently, now that so many Euros are in the top ten. Ignoring the differences in eras, you have to say Hagen's four-peat was by far the most impressive --- not only did he do it in a major, but the PGA was match play at the time, and it took six 36-hole days to win (including the medal play qualifier, which even the previous year's champ had to get through), so he couldn't have a single off day in 24 days. Young Tom did it in a major, too, but the size of the fields in the Opens he won ranged from 8 to 18, and they only played three rounds of 12 holes each.

People actually stayed home and watched this event? Sorry, even the Sticker story wasn't enticing enough to want to watch this one... I went and hacked up a formerly nice course that's now turning into a cow pasture. Courses for sale that aren't being watered are so depressing.

People actually stayed home and watched this event? Sorry, even the Sticker story wasn't enticing enough to want to watch this one... I went and hacked up a formerly nice course that's now turning into a cow pasture. Courses for sale that aren't being watered are so depressing.

I watched the whole thing and enjoyed the tournament. Of course, I DVR'd it like I do all golf tournaments and watched in the evenings. Can't imagine watching golf live. With all the commercials, I'd fall asleep. This allowed me to trudge through a 5 and a half hour round yesterday in the same 96 degree heat they were playing in. :)

All I want to know is how many times in PGA history has the first playoff hole started with both players hitting their second shots in the water and ending up double bogey?

Note: This thread is 4274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!