IGNORED

Callaway makes huge cuts

TN94z
Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Timothy Voyles

12% is a relatively small number if the the cut is spread across the board. I would have started with a 5% wage cut for all employees. This would entice many to move on of their own accord, long time employees may have seen that kinda of move as a push into retirement, again higher waged employees would have left. As stated above though, the highest earning people in management should have taken the brunt of the pay cuts and firings due to mismanagement of the company.

5% across the board would have cost Callaway top performers.  In my experience during downsizes like this you target underperformers, lesser skillsets, or employees who are paid more for the same work as the majority of peers.  It's a good way to cut a bunch of deadwood from the company.  It's harsh to say, but that's what happens a lot.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

The economy stability isn't going to change no matter who is elected. All the big questions (what will health care reform do, will taxes go up or down, will the government avoid an austerity program or will we repeat what we did in 1937,...) and unknowns (will Europe fix their problems, what is going to happen in china, has real estate bottomed and begun a return to a normal market,..) will still be unsolved. Some will become more or less likely depending on the results.

But none of these things are what is crippling Callaway.  The didn't loose 171 million in 2008,2009, or 2010. They had much smaller losses Their problem is that TM has grown market share at their expense. When the market isn't growing very fast and your share is shrinking, you are doomed. Good companies crush their competitors during a recession. Bad ones blame the recession for their problems.  It would be fun to hear an actually insider account of what happened because without that we are just sort of guessing.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Without having a political debate Delusional is correct about some companies having huge amounts of cash saved up. They don't want to dump the cash back into an unstable economy since it is better served as a safety net at the moment. Now I don't think Callaway is one of those companies but I do know they lack one thing most other golf manufacturers have, a very stable parent company. TM, Titleist, Cobra, and now Adams all have very large money making parent companies that allow them to carry a bigger marketing budget and probably bigger budgets all around. They don't have a following like Ping so I'd probably say Callaway's best chances on survival sit with Under Armour. UA is basically the last sports apparel company without a full golf division and I know they had interest when Acushnet was available. Callaway still makes some good stuff and odyssey is still a solid line so they have some value to the right buyer but it would be an entire image make over ala Puma/Cobra.

Originally Posted by DelusionalHookr

It's been reported repeatedly that corporations are in a holding pattern, awaiting the right time to reinvest huge sums of cash they've had on-hand for several years. I'm no accountant, but I'd bet Callaway has bunches of actual, securely-held cash, that it too is willing to invest in new product designs if the political climate changes. With market share currently down (all industries suffer trends), what incentive do they have to try something new now? Cutting back will get them through the end of the year, but then what?

If the current regimes in the legislative branch -- and more importantly, the executive -- do not change, then there will be an insurmountable number of corporations fleeing to other countries. And they'll do it soon, while the American dollar still has enough worldwide value and integrity. If they can't find foreign buyers, then owners and investors will pull the golden parachute cord, spend what they can of the money while they can, and convert the rest to gold for storage in a well-fortified vault. Who can blame them? I'd do the same thing. Self-interest doesn't make you selfish, just rationally careful.

If our nation's political landscape does not change, then all recreational luxuries -- such as golf -- will continue to disappear at depressing rates. How many courses and clubs in your area are struggling or have closed?

You definitely have the "delusional" part of your user name down :)

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by JerryTimes

Really?  What about the name makes you not want to play it?  I'm not saying it's the greatest name, but it's better than Rocketballz.   Most people still play them.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by GatorCallaway

Would you play a driver that was named Jesus?

Probably not, but I sure yell it enough after I hit my Diablo!

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by inthehole

Originally Posted by JerryTimes

Really?  What about the name makes you not want to play it?  I'm not saying it's the greatest name, but it's better than Rocketballz.   Most people still play them.

Really?! You won't play a club because it is named after the Spanish word for the devil?! While I am about as far away from being a religious zealot as I can be, even if I went to church I don't think I would be bothered by such a thing. I know in my heart I would play a club named the Beelzebub if I could hit the damn thing straight!

I will go out on a limb and say you probably don't root for Arizona State, Duke, or enjoy hockey played in New Jersey either.

Back on topic (somewhat) after his less than stellar play as of late they might want to lay-off Mickelson. Watching him hit the driver does not exactly fill me with confidence in the RAZR Fit!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I won't play the RAZR because it sounds like a dangerous weapon.

We know what it means.  Are you saying it is dumb to you?  Upsetting?  Offensive?

You never answered why you won't play it.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Gresh24

We know what it means.  Are you saying it is dumb to you?  Upsetting?  Offensive?

Because they are the debil! [sic]

Yes, that is the type of person I could see having such a problem with it.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I agree, Phil and Two Gloves aren't helping Callaway to sell products these days.  Phil is playing irons that Callaway doesn't even bother to advertise.   Here is their full list of touring pro's, most I've never heard of;

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Back on topic (somewhat) after his less than stellar play as of late they might want to lay-off Mickelson. Watching him hit the driver does not exactly fill me with confidence in the RAZR Fit!

Joe Paradiso

Honestly, I think the name of their clubs alienates alot more people than they banked on.     I won't play a driver called diablo, and imagine I'm not the only one.      Food for thought Calloway ...

WOW....

You wont play a driver with a name that means devil in spanish?And not our devil as in the ficticious book about heaven and hell, Devil in the oldest sense of the world, little red demons from stories. Because diablo has no christian origians, so even if you are religious, it is silly. People in your camp are a very, very, very small and silly minority. I'd say there are less than 500 golfers in america who would be so ridiculous.

I suppose you wouldn't take a Lambo Diablo if you were given one, either... ?

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by Gresh24

I thought my response was clear.     I'll take the bait & spell it out crystal clear for you ... I simply don't chose to bag a driver named after satan.    I'm sure they are good sticks, but there are plenty of other club choices out there ... just seems in bad taste (to me), but then again I've never been accused of having good taste.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I thought my response was clear.     I'll take the bait & spell it out crystal clear for you ... I simply don't chose to bag a driver named after satan.    I'm sure they are good sticks, but there are plenty of other club choices out there ... just seems in bad taste (to me), but then again I've never been accused of having good taste.

I guess you'd never use a Dirt Devil vacuum, patch up your walls with Red Devil caulk or spackel or tools, cut something with Morse Devil saw blades.     You must also limit your speech and never say that something is diabolical, or that you're having a devil of a time with your slice.    And you must really hate the Duke Blue Devils (OK, I do too) or the Arizona Sun Devils or the NJ Devils.

By the way, "diablo" is from the ancient Greek word "diabolos" which means a slanderer long before Church Latin eventually derived the word "diabolus" and created the concept of a devil.

It isn't named after Satan. Its a spanish (or is it latin?) term for devil, in the oldest sense of the word. Diablo's were tiny, fiery devils who supposedly burned homes, farms, etc etc. Nothing to do with christianity AT ALL. (Like most of christianity, they stole pagan customs to create their work of fantasy/fiction, known as the bible)

On top of that, the driver was named after the car, with whose maker Callaway designed the metal used in the Diablo, as well as the Razr line.

So you are telling me you also wouldn't drive this? Or does your brand of crazy have limits?

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!