IGNORED

Callaway makes huge cuts

TN94z
Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The guy doesn't like the name of the driver, that's a risk marketing takes when they reach for the fringes of product names.  Rocketballs (RBZ) seems to work, Diablo not so much for some.  Trying to get back on topic here.

Originally Posted by Clambake

I guess you'd never use a Dirt Devil vacuum, patch up your walls with Red Devil caulk or spackel or tools, cut something with Morse Devil saw blades.     You must also limit your speech and never say that something is diabolical, or that you're having a devil of a time with your slice.    And you must really hate the Duke Blue Devils (OK, I do too) or the Arizona Sun Devils or the NJ Devils.

By the way, "diablo" is from the ancient Greek word "diabolos" which means a slanderer long before Church Latin eventually derived the word "diabolus" and created the concept of a devil.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

It isn't named after Satan. Its a spanish (or is it latin?) term for devil, in the oldest sense of the word. Diablo's were tiny, fiery devils who supposedly burned homes, farms, etc etc. Nothing to do with christianity AT ALL. (Like most of christianity, they stole pagan customs to create their work of fantasy/fiction, known as the bible)

On top of that, the driver was named after the car, with whose maker Callaway designed the metal used in the Diablo, as well as the Razr line.

So you are telling me you also wouldn't drive this? Or does your brand of crazy have limits?

The guy doesn't like the name or the driver, either way what does that have to do with Callaway cutting 12% of their work force?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

. (Like most of christianity, they stole pagan customs to create their work of fantasy/fiction, known as the bible)

\Or does your brand of crazy have limits?

OK, so the bible is fantasy/fiction & I'm crazy.    Have a nice day.    I'll stick with my driver that doesn't sport devil horns just the same ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Callaway needs a new marketing approach to compete head on with TM. A few years ago, it seemed like a toss up between the 2 brands, but TM has taken an aggressive approach with their products and marketing. Seems to be working. Callaway, on the other hand, seems to be totally lost. To me, they sort of seem sort of like the Oldsmobile of golf - a great brand that has seen better days.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by newtogolf

The guy doesn't like the name or the driver, either way what does that have to do with Callaway cutting 12% of their work force?

listen guys, this is getting out of hand ... it just seems to me that alot of Christian people aren't gonna buy a driver named diablo - thats all I'm saying.     If thats seems silly, whatever, I think that may be a reason why their sales are declining.     I could be way off base, who knows ... sheesh

John

Many of my friends are current and previous religious professionals, my closest friend is an ex-Chistian Brother. I can't think of any that would be offended by something like that.

Dave :-)

The original point, and it was a good one, is that they could have found a name that would have been a lot more acceptable to everyone. The risk of losing any portion of sales due to a name is just irresponsible in this economy,

How about the Callaway WhizBang?
Or
The Callaway Sledge Hammer?
Or
The Callaway Ka-Boom!

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Originally Posted by DirtCheap

The original point, and it was a good one, is that they could have found a name that would have been a lot more acceptable to everyone. The risk of losing any portion of sales due to a name is just irresponsible in this economy,

How about the Callaway WhizBang?

Or

The Callaway Sledge Hammer?

Or

The Callaway Ka-Boom!

They used to have great names ... the Titleist HOWITZER was an awesome name for a driver.      The Big Bertha was catchy (although my wife will tell you no woman alive would bag a club named that, so it was definitely a mans club).      Nike Sasquatch was funny.     Now the TM Rocketballs is the catchy name.    I just think Callaway blew it with the diablo ...

John

Originally Posted by inthehole

the Titleist HOWITZER

Now THAT'S a cool name!

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Originally Posted by inthehole

I just think Callaway blew it with the diablo ...

I would say you are wrong. Plenty of things have been named after the 'devil' and have sold fantasticly.

As I said, I bet there are less than 1000 golfers in NA who agree with you. Im not trying to attack you, im telling you that very few people care. Sports equipment, teams, and memorabilia with the name 'devil', 'diablo', have hundreds of millions of fans, christian or otherwise, who cheer for them and wear their gear.

Not to mention Diablo, the game, with 35 million sales across 3 iterations (the latest sold 6 million copies in its first week).

Like I said, iits a certain brand of crazy (and I blieve everyone is a little crazy in some ways), and very, very few people in general, let alone golfers, agree with you.

If it gave me longer, straighter drives, they could call it Satans Cock n' Balls, and i'd still game it.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I would say you are wrong.

wouldn't be the first time ...

John

Ernie Els winning must be great for Callaway. In his interview just after Scott missed the putt, he did mention Callaway standing behind him though times were tough.

Makes me wonder though. Since he switched to Callaway he hasn't been the same great player he used to be than when he gamed TM and Titleist. Maybe now he's finally getting used to his Callaway equipment.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Callaway has failed where a lot of us predicted they'd fail. They instroduced too many product lines that were not appealing to the masses. Like an ugly car that everyone knows is ugly but can't explain why.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

Ernie Els winning must be great for Callaway. In his interview just after Scott missed the putt, he did mention Callaway standing behind him though times were tough.

Makes me wonder though. Since he switched to Callaway he hasn't been the same great player he used to be than when he gamed TM and Titleist. Maybe now he's finally getting used to his Callaway equipment.

Lynx?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

Yeah, that was a big win for Callaway.  They need all the press they can get... And as others have said in this thread... Their staple of pros is pretty bare - especially when you consider the younger generation of up and coming players.

Regarding the comment on Ernie getting used to his equipment.  These guys are so good - you could give them a set of Spalding golf irons and they could score.  To me, Ernie's struggles have been more to do with his putting than anything else.  In particular his confidence in his stroke.  Just yesterday, he kept missing birdie putts (like Tiger) by trying to have the perfect line and speed.  So mechanical it was sick (in a bad way).  And that type of stroke on those slow greens was short over and over and over again.

Then on the 18th green... You could tell Els just picked a line and in a sense gunned it into the hole.  That was one of the more brisk strokes he made all day!  And he canned it.  If he can roll the rock like he did on 18... He has a lot of golf left in him.

Was it Lynx?

I do remember him being with Titleist before Callaway.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Lynx?

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I don't remember Ernie with Lynx.  But I remember Couples with the Lynx putter.  I actually used the Lynx putter in high school golf for my first first 2 seasons.

Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!