IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not worried about who cares, or trying to shut anyone up. I do not feel as if anyone has been rude to me either.  I just posted an achievement I've made and there where some doubters. I feel the post is very productive and seems to be quite popular already ROFL. It also helps me break down what is actually going on with my swing, and I personally enjoy a good debate. Especially when I know my numbers are accurate.

Sincerely, Jim

It's certainly possible for a beginner to be able to hit it far. Some long drivers have been able to hit it far since the beginning. You have to understand though how many posters on the Internet have claimed this. That's why it's unbelievable. It's nothing against you specifically. You're very new to the game so you don't realize how many high handicappers claim to average 300 yards. That's where the skepticism comes from. Post your swing though if you really want people to believe you.
  • Upvote 1

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The pissiness about length on this site is just something you have to deal with.  Somehow there are tons of guys who are here a lot and claim to play a lot and be very good who think everyone drives it 210 and think they drive it 270.  I'm not sure where they play golf.  Maybe they all are members at clubs where all the members are lame macho oldsters who can only roll it out to 190 now but claim an overestimate of how far they could drive it when they were 30?  Almost every random dude I've ever been paired with who seemed like he could consistently shoot in the 80s (or better) could drive the ball at least 240.

And yeah, it's not impossible to roll a lot of drives out past 300.  I've played with 5'7", ~135 lbs kids who can do it.  And my "little" brother is 6'6", played DIII college baseball but is too arrogant to get golf lessons and just tries to hit home runs on a low fastball with every club.  Often in triple digits if he's keeping score legit (even with decent putting!) but I've seen him put drives out to 330, and anything he catches at all solidly and hits relatively near the fairway is going out past 300.  That makes him a 300 hitter with probably a 20-25 handicap.  If he tried to claim that here he'd be called a liar and worse.

Not to say that isn't rare (20+ handicap, 300-330 drives).  But most dudes who played a lot of hockey or baseball through high school or college and are generally good athletes still in decent shape could figure out how to roll a few past 300 yards with inconsistent aim.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I think some of the problem is that people think when you say "I can hit a drive 300 yards" they change it into "my average drive is 300 yards".  I can and have hit a drive 300 yards but my average is about 220 yards.  If I top one or hit a tree and the ball comes back at me I might only get 100 yards out of it.  It takes a lot of 280 yard drives to make up for the one that only goes 100 yards.  I.E.

is only a 223 yard average

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Yesterday evening was our companys weekly golf league, I got paired with my boss this week. A par 72 muni rated from the whites as 70.0/119. We played 9 holes (par 36) and I shot a miserable 51! I had with me (as always) my sky caddie which measured my best drive into the left rough at 263 yds on a pretty flat hole. That was great for me, but my boss was another 60 yards up the fairway! I measured his drive as 320! It wasn't his only long drive of the night either, he can really smash his driver! But, to make a short story long... he ended up with a 52! There's a whole lot more to this game than playing from the tee! I do believe though that low handicappers are rightfully very proud of their accomplishments but most of them don't drive it 300 very often. (I saw an article once that said the "average" scratch golfer drives the ball approx 275). They get pretty snotty when any "lesser" golfer suggests that one aspect of their game might be better than theirs.

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

I'm not worried about who cares, or trying to shut anyone up. I do not feel as if anyone has been rude to me either.  I just posted an achievement I've made and there where some doubters. I feel the post is very productive and seems to be quite popular already ROFL. It also helps me break down what is actually going on with my swing, and I personally enjoy a good debate. Especially when I know my numbers are accurate.

Seriously no one really cares.  Hitting a 300 yard drive under the right conditions is not a big deal.  Drop it.  At this point your post seems to be a cry for attention.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by mad max

I think some of the problem is that people think when you say "I can hit a drive 300 yards" they change it into "my average drive is 300 yards".  I can and have hit a drive 300 yards but my average is about 220 yards.  If I top one or hit a tree and the ball comes back at me I might only get 100 yards out of it.  It takes a lot of 280 yard drives to make up for the one that only goes 100 yards.  I.E.

is only a 223 yard average

This has heppened two times allready in different posts. I mentioned I hit a 300 yard plus drive a few times and then all of a sudden im being compaired to pros who average 300 like Bubba or Tiger.

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Seriously no one really cares.  Hitting a 300 yard drive under the right conditions is not a big deal.  Drop it.  At this point your post seems to be a cry for attention.

I'm not the only person posting here in my post. It looks like some people care enough to post in it. If you dont care then just stay out of it. Im having a good time , you seem to not be.

Since when does someone have to really care to post on a thread. Like I said, if you don't care about the post then don't post in it.

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I'm one who typically stands up for people who refer to long drives. I play with plenty of people who would apparently be see as godlike by many of the tall walking short knockers who love to brag about how the longest hitters they know all hit sub 280 drives. BUT, when someone says they routinely drive the ball 300, they probably should not post a video of driving the ball <275 as evidence. 300 is much farther than 270. It just is. That's all I was saying.

Ha.  Yeah.  That happened recently.  Don't remember who it was but someone posted a video of a driver swing that looked like it hit the ball 250-260 MAX and was claiming it rolled out past 300 on a calm day on flat ground, and that that swing consistently had him near or past 300 yards...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by mad max

I think some of the problem is that people think when you say "I can hit a drive 300 yards" they change it into "my average drive is 300 yards".  I can and have hit a drive 300 yards but my average is about 220 yards.  If I top one or hit a tree and the ball comes back at me I might only get 100 yards out of it.  It takes a lot of 280 yard drives to make up for the one that only goes 100 yards.

I was getting ready to post the same thing and I'll add that most new golfers tend to swing too hard to be consistent. The best advice someone ever gave me was "let the club do the talking".

Dave :-)

This has heppened two times allready in different posts. I mentioned I hit a 300 yard plus drive a few times and then all of a sudden im being compaired to pros who average 300 like Bubba or Tiger.

I know and the pro's averages sometimes include holes where they hit an iron off the tee.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

...If you have these great mechanics and you're driving 300 then there is no way you can be a 20 handicap.  On most par4's you're landing the bal 20 yards from the green and you have 3 chances from there for par.  You could be the worst putter in the world and still be a high single digit.

I suppose if one is driving 300 they are likely in trouble a lot off the tee (not just in the rough - hazards, OB, blocked from the green by trees, etc.)  I could see that being an issue with getting one's handicap down to 20.

The OP is saying he's a 27 though... that's a little harder to believe, but still possible I guess. Especially since he's not claiming to *average* 300 yards - just that he's hit a few.

Also note his location of Vegas - warm air, 2000 feet of elevation, and really dry fairways are all going to add a few yards.  My best drive at sea level is 270, so maybe even I could hit 300 in Vegas.

Thing is, 300 or not - what's the purpose or point of saying you hit 300 other than to brag about it?

At the end of the day, I don't care if the OP hits 300, and the OP shouldn't care about whether I care.

• Upvote 1

Bill

Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

Quote:

...and you probably shouldn't really care if we believe you.

I think his point is less about people believing him, and more of a concern that so many people on here feel the need to be so rude.

Do you mean like you're being over in one of the "scramble" threads?

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by mdl

Quote:

I'm one who typically stands up for people who refer to long drives. I play with plenty of people who would apparently be see as godlike by many of the tall walking short knockers who love to brag about how the longest hitters they know all hit sub 280 drives. BUT, when someone says they routinely drive the ball 300, they probably should not post a video of driving the ball <275 as evidence. 300 is much farther than 270. It just is. That's all I was saying.

Ha.  Yeah.  That happened recently.  Don't remember who it was but someone posted a video of a driver swing that looked like it hit the ball 250-260 MAX and was claiming it rolled out past 300 on a calm day on flat ground, and that that swing consistently had him near or past 300 yards...

Sorry about that - I'll try to get a better one.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm not the only person posting here in my post. It looks like some people care enough to post in it. If you dont care then just stay out of it. Im having a good time , you seem to not be.

Since when does someone have to really care to post on a thread. Like I said, if you don't care about the post then don't post in it.

Fair enough.  Maybe for your next topic you can whine about how no one believes you have a 13" johnson.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Do you mean like you're being over in one of the "scramble" threads?

I am the one being rude.  I am being attacked by five different guys because I said I don't like taking mulligans.  Why don't you grab a bat and join in, genius.

Fair enough.  Maybe for your next topic you can whine about how no one believes you have a 13" johnson.

Someone had to do it, I was tempted.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 4241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!