IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

What's his index. He must be +, right?

I think he said in an earlier post that he was a +2.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by iacas

This isn't your thread, so please stop posting stuff that's marginally on topic (or more likely off topic) in it, please.

We're awaiting the Trackman results from the OP.

I am wondering if the results are in and have just not been posted .....

Originally Posted by garybbq

I am wondering if the results are in and have just not been posted .....

If that were the case, Erik would know because he knows the Trackman guy.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I think he said in an earlier post that he was a +2.

Yep.  It's funny watching a guy like that.  When his game gets "off", he means he's < 5 yards here or there of where he wants to be.  With as hard as he hits the ball, I can't imagine.  I don't hit it nearly that hard, but it's hard enough for me to control it with the ball speeds I generate.  He was at least a club longer than me hitting into the breeze with the irons.  I play a medium-ish flight and deloft a lot.  He hits it sky-high and was still longer.  He's also got some seriously pumped forearms, not that it matters that much if your body mechanics are in the right spot.  Anyway, back on topic.  It was just so impressive, I couldn't help it.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by Darksun22

Come on really,  There are 55 year old men that still play on the PGA tour in average physical condition.  They just have it with a club.   Put them in ANY other sport for 1 day and would half way die, (if not get hurt really bad).

Even Bubba Watson, One of the longest hitters, in "OK" shape and young for the tour,  would get absolutely murdered in any other professional sport. But there are tons of great MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA, players that shoot very well with a low single digit handicap and could be a pro golfer with full time practice.

I know Iacas doesn't like this topic within this thread, but I will counter anyway.

Out of your named sports, how many 55 year old men still play in their respective sports? Very few, if any! Tom Watson is 62/63 and is in amazing shape and can still compete, and yeah that is one case, but there are many others.

Your key phrase here is "with full time practice."  Your claims were made invalid by including this, because tour players with full time conditioning can certainly be on the athletic level of other sports' athletes.  PGA pros work out a lot, but they are working out the muscles that matter to the sport.  They don't need to run or sprint or anything so why would they need to train that area consistently?

Comparing the physical attributes of athletes in their respective sports isn't easy, because they are conditioning what they need, which may or may not be what they need for other sports.

Golf may or may not need very athletic golfers, but it is one HARD sport to be professionally good at!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I stand corrected, I went back after reading this and hit a few to get numbers. Average club head speed was about 99 and smash factor was averaging about 1.45-1.48. There were some highs and lows, but that was usually what came up. I don't think it's my frame, but I don't know what it is, I'm just not a natural generator of club head speed.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Smash Factor is simply (Ball Speed / Club Head Speed).   So if you are 1.4ish with a swing speed of 105mph... Then your Ball Speed should be 147mph-ish+.  If you are swinging 105 to 110 and only getting 1.4ish... Then you most likely aren't hitting the sweet spot - or suffering from off center hits.

Originally Posted by Jwat381

I stand corrected, I went back after reading this and hit a few to get numbers. Average club head speed was about 99 and smash factor was averaging about 1.45-1.48. There were some highs and lows, but that was usually what came up. I don't think it's my frame, but I don't know what it is, I'm just not a natural generator of club head speed.

So that tells me you have clean contact (1.48) - but your swing speed is slower than originally reported.

I'm guessing you'd hit your driver 230 to 250 on a Trackman with those numbers... And it would boil down to your angle of attack if you were on the upper or lower side of that estimate.

So that tells me you have clean contact (1.48) - but your swing speed is slower than originally reported.   I'm guessing you'd hit your driver 230 to 250 on a Trackman with those numbers... And it would boil down to your angle of attack if you were on the upper or lower side of that estimate.

Yeah your guess is exactly right. Those are my driver yardages, with a few bombs here and there. Will club head speed come with time? I'm young and "athletic" but have only been really playing for about a year and a half. Or do I have to really work at it? Thanks, Bomber.

Originally Posted by Jwat381

Yeah your guess is exactly right. Those are my driver yardages, with a few bombs here and there. Will club head speed come with time? I'm young and "athletic" but have only been really playing for about a year and a half. Or do I have to really work at it? Thanks, Bomber.

Too bad you didn't play baseball.  In a month you'd be striping it 300+.

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

You got me all wrong, I bet you I have really really good improvements in my game over the next year. I would say better then average, but I don't expect you to believe any score cards I post.

Well this was the last post Jimbo Slice made in this forum and the one before he called someone a "dick". Just a stab in the dark but I'm willing to bet Trackman is very unlikely at this point.

• Administrator

Jimbo Slice hasn't logged on since 1 day, 8 hours ago. I'll send him a PM.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

We don't need to see the results because we know what they are.

Reality might have hit him hard.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

We don't need to see the results because we know what they are. Reality might have hit him hard.

Hilarious and right on!! One of the best things I did was but a laser device to figure out how far I really hit each club. One of the worst things I did was buy a laser device to figure out how far I really hit each club!! Depressing........300 yards in the real world is a different animal than 300 yards on the Internet. LOL.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I don't know.  Driving 300 is not outrageously difficult in my opinion and it does not automatically make you a good golfer.  I see no problem with it. There are lots of cynical people on this forum who are just miserable in general.  Get used to it.

ST, were you wasted when you posted this? Driving it 300 is kind of difficult. Most guys that think they can do it actually can't. An athletic person with good club head speed can maybe pull one out on occasion, but to suggest it's "not outrageously difficult" is a ridiculous statement. It is difficult, and most people who claim they've done it on a regular basis actually haven't.

• Upvote 1

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I know on my high school team's home course there is a stretch of 4 holes (the first 4) that are all par 4's, in order the yardages are 362, 310, 367, and 346.  I personally think a lot of courses par 4's yardages are wrong.  I have driven every one of those multiple times, and I'm positive they are way too short on the card.  #2, (310), I have reached with my 2 hybrid before. Now, I swing pretty fast, I've been clocked on a few machines averaging about 115mph, just swinging normal, but hitting a 2 hybrid 310 is ridiculous and obviously wrong.  There is no way I hit it that far consistently like that would suggest.  I played a basically professional course today and absolutely spanked one on a par 4, swung hard and hit in the sweet spot with a little draw and according to the card it was a 417 yard hole and I was 101 yards out.  I hit drives generally from 250-310 depending on how well I hit it.  But anyway, like I said, I think it's mostly due to cards having incorrect yardages.

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

One course I play frequently has a 311 par 4 according to the score card. It's a right to left hole. If you hit it straight at the flag, the real distance is 265, lasered right to the hole. Bit of a difference. Guys that hit it near the green or hole high think they've hit a 300 yard drive, and they haven't.

Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

I don't know.  Driving 300 is not outrageously difficult in my opinion and it does not automatically make you a good golfer.  I see no problem with it.

There are lots of cynical people on this forum who are just miserable in general.  Get used to it.

ST, were you wasted when you posted this? Driving it 300 is kind of difficult. Most guys that think they can do it actually can't. An athletic person with good club head speed can maybe pull one out on occasion, but to suggest it's "not outrageously difficult" is a ridiculous statement. It is difficult, and most people who claim they've done it on a regular basis actually haven't.

Speaking of bold statements, other than internet forum jibber jabber, how many people in real life do you know who mistakenly claim to drive 300+ on a regular basis? Personally, I know of zero. Why? Other than the internet, nobody talks about it. They just either do it or they don't.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!