IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

So, you're not seeing the irony then?

No.  I see it pretty clearly:  A member of the year recipient who doesn't read posts very well.

I was illustrating "P6", not illustrating "power".  Re-read my post.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

So, you're not seeing the irony then?

No.  I see it pretty clearly:  A member of the year recipient who doesn't read posts very well.

I was illustrating "P6", not illustrating "power".  Re-read my post.

George Knudsen was a very short hitter of the golf ball off the tee. He's using a driver in that photo. There are countless other players who've been photographed over the years who are not short hitters who have excellent "P6s". This thread is titled something about hitting the ball 300+ which would have been a driver and full wedge for George Knudsen. He might have been the best Canadian ball striker of all time - Moe Norman included - but he was a short hitter.

Irony explained. You disagree - let's choose to move on - I wasn't attempting to contradict your advice.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I remember someone saying it costs $130.00 for a sesion on trackman, well this place will let you on it for $30.00 for 15 minutes

http://www.hagginoaks.com/super-shop/player-performance-studio-2/

I know it's not in Vegas where the OP lives but I'm sure he can probably get on one of these machines for less than double wich is still quite a bit less than $130.00. He said he would go the next week on the 13th of this month it's now the 23rd.

I know that its possible for high handicappers to hit it 300 yards occasionally. I've seen it myself, but anyone who claims to hit it 300+ with any regularity, well I just dont buy it. I dont know if its just people bragging on here or whether people dont realise just how insanely long a 300 yard drive is. The longest par 4 on my home course is 467 yards according to the scorecard. Yesterday it was playing 440 according to my gps. There was hardly a breath of wind, there fairways were just on the soft side of firm and I swung out of my shoes, flushed it, and measured it at 268. Now I've hit further than that when I've has a stiff breeze behind me and the fairways like concrete, but in normal conditions I doubt I could hit a better one if you gave me 50 balls. Yet it was still 35 yards shy of 300. Now I'm no amazing athlete, but I'm 6'1, 210 pounds and have fairly good upper body strength and flexibility. I would back myself to beat 90% of the players I see when I'm on my game, and yet my best drive is 40 yards short of a guy who has only picked up a club a month ago because he played a bit of baseball in high school.

Given the amount of time that's passed and the lack of new posts from OP I'd say he either trolled us or found out he's not hitting 300+ yard drives and is not ready for a big slice of humble pie yet.

He's used his GPS to determine his numbers and a launch monitor in a golf store so it's quite possible he believed he was hitting 300+ but wasn't.   I've seen people use GPS numbers wrong because they believe if the tee says 450 to the flag and when they get to the ball it says 150 they conclude they hit the ball 300 yards but fail to take into account the distance the ball traveled may not have been consistent with how the hole was measured (dog legs, etc).

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Given the amount of time that's passed and the lack of new posts from OP I'd say he either trolled us or found out he's not hitting 300+ yard drives and is not ready for a big slice of humble pie yet.

That's too bad, but I think you are probably right.

I was looking forward to him providing the results no matter the outcome.  If he came back on here with numbers showing he was wrong and admitted as such, other than a few jerks, I'm pretty confident he would get very little crap and a lot of respect for following through.

Originally Posted by onesome

I remember someone saying it costs $130.00 for a sesion on trackman, well this place will let you on it for $30.00 for 15 minutes

http://www.hagginoaks.com/super-shop/player-performance-studio-2/

I know it's not in Vegas where the OP lives but I'm sure he can probably get on one of these machines for less than double wich is still quite a bit less than $130.00. He said he would go the next week on the 13th of this month it's now the 23rd.

lol, the funny thing is that it was me who mentioned $130, and I went to the same exact place you linked here.

I specifically was interested in purchasing a new driver, and the driver fitting is $130.  I suppose it's possible to just use the $30 service to get your numbers, but they won't give you the opportunity to try out multiple clubs and such.  So the $30 service is probably more applicable to this thread as you pointed out.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

That's too bad, but I think you are probably right.

I was looking forward to him providing the results no matter the outcome.  If he came back on here with numbers showing he was wrong and admitted as such, other than a few jerks, I'm pretty confident he would get very little crap and a lot of respect for following through.

That's the way I feel also, I'm not interested in giving him crap for not being able to do what he claims, it's just that people need to understand this is probably the most humbling game ever invented and humility is a big part of it. Just the other day I hit a drive pure on a dogleg left that banks like a nascar track with the shape and with my laser figured I only put it out there 280, now that was a straight line so maybe it traveld a total of 300 but there was still a substantial amount of roll and when I swing well and make solid contact machines have me at a 102 swing speed.

Jimbo - where are you?  We don't care if you can't back-up the 300yd claim or not.  We just want to see the Trackman data so we can comment on it.

Awesome response, thank you. And thanks for the ego boost too haha, I need every one I can get.

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

99 is a very good average, and well above average speed.  With good launch conditions, it's probably good for around 250 carry, 260 max, rolling out to 270+.  Hardly lacking distance, so forget feeling bad about that because it's just not bad at all.  To hit it 300, you really need a clubhead speed over 110, high launch and low spin.  This means lots of secondary axis tilt, head back and pressure left at impact.  Not something most amateurs do well at naturally, but it can be worked on.  You can lower your spin with a less lofted driver, but they're a little less forgiving and will require even more axis tilt to launch high.  I'm no long driver, but I can pound it for sure.  Other than fixing mechanics, I would say the second biggest thing for distance is to stay extremely relaxed, not loose, but relaxed and don't smash it hard until you get to P6.  That's here:

Again, mechanics are the biggest key for speed a number of reasons.  Contact quality aside, you will slow down and manipulate to control shots if your mechanics aren't good.  You can't really develop confident speed until you can trust your mechanics.  Once you get to P6, it's a lot of full body release with legs, arms, abs, and shoulders working together.  I feel like my right hand really hits hard from here, pretty much as hard as I can because it doesn't improve my accuracy any to back off if I'm good at this point in the swing.  May as well hit it hard.

I personally take pride in hitting the long ball.  Im not a great golfer, so what i do well is swing for the fences.  And it is fun for people to mock me with "Hulk Smash" when i get up to the box. I know that im not going to break into the 70s when i walk on the course, but there is a good chance for me to obliterate a ball 350yds and drop a few jaws on a few holes.  Or cut off a huge dogleg par 4 and be in the greenside bunker.

It is just fun, and it is where my personal enjoyment stems from.  I do have a good short game around the greens, and my putting is below average, and my mid and long irons are the hole in my game.

Im watching my handicap steadly decrease,  from 17.1 a month ago to 14.6 as of yesterday, but my most enjoyment of the game is hitting 100yds past my friends.

I wasn't implying that if you "picked up a bat" in highschool you could blast a 300+. I was saying the elite athletes that play pro sports can. Mainly because they have played golf being a millionaire and all, probably live on a course themselves, and have super human abilities that just make them good at everything.

A lot of pro sprots players are great golfers. Look at Tony Romo.  He was a 1.2 handicap last time I checked.  Hell,  Justin Timberlake (not a sports player) qualified for some PGA event a few years back if im not mistaken. ????  correct me here if im wrong.

Either way, Everyone has a part of their game they enjoy the most. Mine is the wildlife and the long balls. So I get a little bent when the guy with 95MPH club speed says he can hit 300+.  Just like those who take pride in their handicap would get upset if everyone on here had single digits written down.

How many times are you going to jump into this thread to tell us you hit it 350 yards?  We got it, you like the long ball.

Originally Posted by Darksun22

I personally take pride in hitting the long ball.  Im not a great golfer, so what i do well is swing for the fences.  And it is fun for people to mock me with "Hulk Smash" when i get up to the box. I know that im not going to break into the 70s when i walk on the course, but there is a good chance for me to obliterate a ball 350yds and drop a few jaws on a few holes.  Or cut off a huge dogleg par 4 and be in the greenside bunker.

It is just fun, and it is where my personal enjoyment stems from.  I do have a good short game around the greens, and my putting is below average, and my mid and long irons are the hole in my game.

Im watching my handicap steadly decrease,  from 17.1 a month ago to 14.6 as of yesterday, but my most enjoyment of the game is hitting 100yds past my friends.

I wasn't implying that if you "picked up a bat" in highschool you could blast a 300+. I was saying the elite athletes that play pro sports can. Mainly because they have played golf being a millionaire and all, probably live on a course themselves, and have super human abilities that just make them good at everything.

A lot of pro sprots players are great golfers. Look at Tony Romo.  He was a 1.2 handicap last time I checked.  Hell,  Justin Timberlake (not a sports player) qualified for some PGA event a few years back if im not mistaken. ????  correct me here if im wrong.

Either way, Everyone has a part of their game they enjoy the most. Mine is the wildlife and the long balls. So I get a little bent when the guy with 95MPH club speed says he can hit 300+.  Just like those who take pride in their handicap would get upset if everyone on here had single digits written down.

Joe Paradiso

I don't believe that is correct.  Timberlake hosts an event, but I don't think he's ever qualified for anything.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I take more pride in hitting the ball 250 in FW in good position to shoot for the pin with a short or medium iron.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

How many times are you going to jump into this thread to tell us you hit it 350 yards?  We got it, you like the long ball.

There are 427 post on this thread.  75% are off topic.  Live with it.

Either way, my point of that post was to say I didn't mean every average joe that swung a bat in highschool could rip a ball 300+.  Just that the finely tuned machines that are pro MLB, NBA, NFL players probably could more often that not because they probably already play a fair amount of golf, and are super athletes.

If you don't like discussions about long balls, stay out of long drive threads?  Sounds simple enough. The OP hasn't posted in like over a week. Thread is open for discussion IMO.

• Upvote 1

lol You're taking the attention away from the OP with each point that I highlighted in bold for you. You're saying that you're hitting your long/mid irons poorly and have below-average putting, yet maintaining a 14-15 handicap? You realize you're claiming that you're hitting the ball 350 yards as well, in the same post? I highly doubt you have legitimately broken 90 with your "swing for the fences for enjoyment" mindset.

Again, please post your swing and let us admire it. To claim you're hitting the ball as far as Bubba Watson or any tour player with a 14 HC, which is probably made up, is completely ridiculous. You're not hitting the ball 350 yards anywhere on the course, period, in any conditions (course and weather combined).

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

I don't believe that is correct.  Timberlake hosts an event, but I don't think he's ever qualified for anything.

Agreed. The only celebrity I can think of that has even tried was Jerry Rice - he used to talk about hoping to someday play in the Champions tour - got sponsor exemptions for a couple Nationwide events - missed the cut in the first one shooting one stroke better than last place - got DQd in the next for his caddy using a rangefinder, but not before setting the record for worst round in the event's 18 year history. Gave it up after that. Not meaning to bag on Rice, just saying he thought he had game and was rudely awakened. I do agree that a lot of pro athletes in other sports are great golfers, notably many in baseball and hockey.

Bill

Note: This thread is 4233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!