IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

thats great if you drive the ball like that regularly, but if the rest of your game cant capitalize on the long drives then its not worth mentioning............................drive for show, putt for dough

For me, it's "drive for dough, hit fairway woods for dough, hit irons for dough, have a good short game for dough, putt for dough, have good course management for dough, have a good mental game for dough, have guts for dough."

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I'm not surprised.

He's either; a really good guy who pushed his position until his back was against the wall and after finding out he was wrong didn't want to come back here and take his lumps.

or

He was a troll and wanted to get us all fired up and used his seemingly sincere posts to keep people in the thread until he had no choice but to bail when you called him out.

I imagine it's the former.

I briefly thought of this thread today while watching the WGC or whatever it's called.  It's only somewhat related.  But basically it sprung into my mind when Luke Donald (still world #1) hit a poor wedge shot from 125 yards (in the fairway) and came away with bogie. They mentioned that last year he was #1 (or something) on tour from 125 yards in proximity to the hole with something like 14 feet.  This year he's borderline horrible for his world ranking, at more like 22 feet.

That wasn't what reminded me of this thread, yet.  It reminded me of a few posts I've seen where guys will nonchalantly claim that they aren't very far off the tee, but they are "automatic" from about the same range as was discussed on TV (125 yards).  More than a couple times, I've seen guys claim to put it within 10 feet upwards of 75% of the time.  That would make them better than the #1 golfer in the world, most likely.  That just put it into perspective how full of crap they probably are.

That's when I thought of this thread.  Most of those posts are never called out, but are likely even more incredible than routine 300+ yard drives from 20 handicappers.  We just don't care about wedge and putting statistics as much as we do about length.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I imagine it's the former.

I briefly thought of this thread today while watching the WGC or whatever it's called.  It's only somewhat related.  But basically it sprung into my mind when Luke Donald (still world #1) hit a poor wedge shot from 125 yards (in the fairway) and came away with bogie. They mentioned that last year he was #1 (or something) on tour from 125 yards in proximity to the hole with something like 14 feet.  This year he's borderline horrible for his world ranking, at more like 22 feet.

That wasn't what reminded me of this thread, yet.  It reminded me of a few posts I've seen where guys will nonchalantly claim that they aren't very far off the tee, but they are "automatic" from about the same range as was discussed on TV (125 yards).  More than a couple times, I've seen guys claim to put it within 10 feet upwards of 75% of the time.  That would make them better than the #1 golfer in the world, most likely.  That just put it into perspective how full of crap they probably are.

That's when I thought of this thread.  Most of those posts are never called out, but are likely even more incredible than routine 300+ yard drives from 20 handicappers.  We just don't care about wedge and putting statistics as much as we do about length.

there was a guy who said he could hit it from 80-90ish to 10 feet 100% of the time and another guy responded with he would take that bet and then it just fell off.

the difference is we can all hit a good approach shot, even if it's one in a million, but people get upset when someone says they can drive 300 because they physically can't do it. i think that's why all of those brash claims (and i know exactly what you're talking about) get glossed over and people continue to jump on the 300 yard thing.

a lot of people on here have never broken a rule, can hit any number of shots on command, and can drive it straight down the middle 250 yards every time.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by tiger187126

there was a guy who said he could hit it from 80-90ish to 10 feet 100% of the time

That's funny.  I bet there's not a single person who can do a single thing in golf 100% of the time.  Even pros whiff the ball sometimes, so that's out.  If even hitting the ball is less than 100%, nothing else has any hope.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

That's funny.  I bet there's not a single person who can do a single thing in golf 100% of the time.  Even pros whiff the ball sometimes, so that's out.  If even hitting the ball is less than 100%, nothing else has any hope.

Well, buddy, I have you covered there and I debunk your statement. I 100% of the time will have at least several beers while golfing (prior, during, or after)!

I've never missed the ball with my putter.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

I wonder if things like approaching the green inside of 10 feet they get exagerated because they just feel confident with that club. I say that I am "automatic" within 120 to 100 yards because my wedges are my best club. But I say that as, I am much more likely to hit the green with a wedge than a 7 iron or whatever. My distances are consistant with them and there isnt alot of working the ball with a wedge.

Its also a statistic that you cant really measure unless your out there with a tape measure.

Im also sure people get confused with how close 10 feet is when you have been going by yards all day. 10 feet is like a person and a half. Its probably a putt you would make 60% of the time making that person very likely to score often. 10 yards is still good at least for me. If im on the green in regulation I am very happy.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

I wonder if things like approaching the green inside of 10 feet they get exagerated because they just feel confident with that club. I say that I am "automatic" within 120 to 100 yards because my wedges are my best club. But I say that as, I am much more likely to hit the green with a wedge than a 7 iron or whatever. My distances are consistant with them and there isnt alot of working the ball with a wedge.

Its also a statistic that you cant really measure unless your out there with a tape measure.

Im also sure people get confused with how close 10 feet is when you have been going by yards all day. 10 feet is like a person and a half. Its probably a putt you would make 60% of the time making that person very likely to score often. 10 yards is still good at least for me. If im on the green in regulation I am very happy.

If you take more than 3 paces between marking your ball and pulling the pin, you're > 10 feet. If you're making 10 foot putts at a 60% clip you're probably earning money playing. If someone sees 30 feet and thinks it's 10 feet then it's easy to see why they believe nobody anywhere ever hits 300 yards - they're thinking about 900 yards.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Spyder

Well, buddy, I have you covered there and I debunk your statement. I 100% of the time will have at least several beers while golfing (prior, during, or after)!

Are you sure about that?  Because your avatar looks more like a cranberry/vodka or a bloody mary or something.  Are you sure that it's beer 100% of the time?  Or is it just a lot of alcohol 100% of the time?

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If you take more than 3 paces between marking your ball and pulling the pin, you're > 10 feet. If you're making 10 foot putts at a 60% clip you're probably earning money playing. If someone sees 30 feet and thinks it's 10 feet then it's easy to see why they believe nobody anywhere ever hits 300 yards - they're thinking about 900 yards.

Ooh, maybe I should start the "Why can't people just believe me when I say I drive it 900 yards" thread?

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If I exaggerate my typical drive by 20% it's at the upper limit of drives I've actually hit during rounds. Not to change the subject, but I'm just sayin'.

That sounds about right.  Similar for me, though I've put one all the way out to 120% of my typical drive without downhill, wind, or rocket hop help only a handful of times, and even those I probably still got some lucky bounce/roll.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Are you sure about that?  Because your avatar looks more like a cranberry/vodka or a bloody mary or something.  Are you sure that it's beer 100% of the time?  Or is it just a lot of alcohol 100% of the time?

Damn.... you got me. It's not just beer 100% of the time

Originally Posted by Spyder

Damn.... you got me. It's not just beer 100% of the time

LOL.  I have to ask ... is that just a stock photo (your avatar) or do you actually own a club that stores beverages?  Cracks me up.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Ooh, maybe I should start the "Why can't people just believe me when I say I drive it 900 yards" thread?

Well, there was this one time I hit it clean but a little right and it caught a good bounce or two or 50 on the cart path and it went a solid 925yds.  I think I shot a 14 on that hole because I had to hit it all the way back to the green.

Sorry I jumped in on this thread.  All I mean to say is that yes, a newbie golfer can hit 300yrds in the same way a 7ft tall guy can dunk in basketball and still suck at the game.  Welcome to the lucky sperm club.  Nothing about the topic justifies 35 pages of debate.

I would like to thank my many sponsors:

Cobra Amp 9.5* Driver; Aldila RIP Stiff 55g shaft

Titleist 904f 17* 4W; S300 shaft

Callaway X-22 3-P, reg flex, 1/2" long, 2* up

Titleist Vokey 252.08 & 256.14 wedges; standard

Ping Anser Putter (because it gives me the confidence I need to 4 putt)

Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo grips all around

Top-flite Gamer V2 ball

I'm 6'4", 210lbs, 34yo.

Sorry I jumped in on this thread.  All I mean to say is that yes, a newbie golfer can hit 300yrds in the same way a 7ft tall guy can dunk in basketball and still suck at the game.  Welcome to the lucky sperm club.  [b]Nothing about the topic justifies 35 pages of debate.[/b]

You must be new here. Ah, yep. Welcome. We totally think these things are worth 35 pages of meandering conversation. :-)

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by Tax Man Golfeth

Well, there was this one time I hit it clean but a little right and it caught a good bounce or two or 50 on the cart path and it went a solid 925yds.  I think I shot a 14 on that hole because I had to hit it all the way back to the green.

Sorry I jumped in on this thread.  All I mean to say is that yes, a newbie golfer can hit 300yrds in the same way a 7ft tall guy can dunk in basketball and still suck at the game.  Welcome to the lucky sperm club.  Nothing about the topic justifies 35 pages of debate.

Originally Posted by B-Con

You must be new here.

Ah, yep.

Welcome. We totally think these things are worth 35 pages of meandering conversation.

Seriously.  I think the only way this stops is if somebody starts a new thread along the same lines to pull us away.  We're all just nosy rubber-neckers.

Note: This thread is 4235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!