IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just yesterday I had a couple big drives.  One of them, the hole is 400yds, straight, slightly uphill, with cart path moving down right side.  My average drive is 290.  This hole, I hit the cart path on a 320yd carry and it bounced to 10yds from the front of the green smack dap in the middle of the fairway (so about a 380yd drive), and I birdied! I'm not being sarcastic either.  I had to run up the hill to the 10th tee box to apologize to the group in front too, because I came close to them as they weren't quite on the green yet. I would post a video of my swing to prove it, but I don't have the equipment or connections to make a video.

In the end, its never the distance you can drive the ball, but whether you can put your second shot on the green and within a decent chance of giving you a birdie.  Sure distance helps, but its certainly not the deciding factor.  If you can drive the ball 300yds, great, now get the ball in the hole!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

Here is my swing LINK. The bottom swing is about 95 mph ss and that particular drive went about 270 yards, I measured it. I now for sure have a 105 average swing speed now on the same effort swing. When I first started I went into dicks and hit about 20 balls with my driver and got my estimated SS of 93mph. Now my swingspeed is about 105 average and my fasted ss I recorded at Dicks was 109. These are all average swings. I do swing slightly harder on the course.

I go to Dicks about every two weeks and hit about 20 balls with my driver to test my SS.

Ball Speed

Launch Angle

Back Spin (rpm's)

Carry Distance

170 mph

11.5-15.5+*

2000-2400

289 yards

160 mph

12-16+*

2200-2650

271 yards

150 mph

13-16.5+*

2300-2800

252 yards

140 mph

14-17+*

2350-2950

233 yards

130 mph

14.5-17*

2400-3100

215 yards

120 mph

15-17*

2500-3300

196 yards

95 mph of clubhead speed probably results in a ball speed of 140 to 145 mph.  Under perfect launch conditions you would carry the ball 240 yards (approx).  You must be doing one of the following things:

A) Cutting the corners on doglegs and not realizing this considerably shortens the hole

B) Playing with serious tailwinds, on steeply downhill holes, or both

C) Exaggerating your distance

This is physics here.  I'm not making this stuff up.

100*2.5 = 250.

This is one reason why I scoff at driver shafts labelled "Stiff" then suggest they're aimed at people with >95mph swing speeds. 95? That's an R shaft!!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

A lot of people can hit 300yd drives in the right conditions.  My driver clubhead speed is in the 105-108 range= similar to guys on tour like Zach Johnson or Jim Furyk who rank in the 160's in driving distance on tour. (280average)  Short knockers by tour standards, but they still pump it out there 300-325yds on occasion and reach  550-575yd par5's with the right conditions.

The weather and course conditions play a huge role........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

its really hard to hit a bal 150 yard offline? When I was first starting I did have a legit 80 Yard slice at times. But even on those bad slices I could produce long shots sometimes. Some of my long drives have been no where near the fairway, but not 150 yards away from center lol. 80 at most. Now my worst slices even when swinging for the fences are more like 40-50 yards off the fairway center line. I might hit 3 or 4 fairways a round, sometimes 2 lol

I just used 150 yards offline because that's what the poster said that I was responding too.  I agree that 150 offline is pretty much impossible unless you have serious problems with alignment.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Ball Speed

Launch Angle

Back Spin (rpm's)

Carry Distance

170 mph

11.5-15.5+*

2000-2400

289 yards

160 mph

12-16+*

2200-2650

271 yards

150 mph

13-16.5+*

2300-2800

252 yards

140 mph

14-17+*

2350-2950

233 yards

130 mph

14.5-17*

2400-3100

215 yards

120 mph

15-17*

2500-3300

196 yards

95 mph of clubhead speed probably results in a ball speed of 140 to 145 mph.  Under perfect launch conditions you would carry the ball 240 yards (approx).  You must be doing one of the following things:

A) Cutting the corners on doglegs and not realizing this considerably shortens the hole

What is happening is my swingspeed must be slightly higher then I'm estimated while on the course. All my swingspeed averages are gotten at dicks. I just walk in and hit 20 balls with an average stroke and no warm up what so ever. I could be slightly off in my estimation of that swing speed of 95mph. Im not an idiot and I do know how to measure a drive. I measure from point A to point B plain and simple. None of my my distances are exaggerated. The only reason I call out a around 95 mph ss is because I know it was at least that fast. I do not know exactly how fast it was because I was on the course. Me not being and exaggerator I wouldn't feel right posting any number higher then 95 on that swing.

Sincerely, Jim

What is happening is my swingspeed must be slightly higher then I'm estimated while on the course. All my swingspeed averages are gotten at dicks. I just walk in and hit 20 balls with an average stroke and no warm up what so ever. I could be slightly off in my estimation of that swing speed of 95mph. Im not an idiot and I do know how to measure a drive. I measure from point A to point B plain and simple. None of my my distances are exaggerated. The only reason I call out a around 95 mph ss is because I know it was at least that fast. I do not know exactly how fast it was because I was on the course. Me not being and exaggerator I wouldn't feel right posting any number higher then 95 on that swing.

If Dicks is telling you 95 mph, you could be even slower.  Chain stores that sell golf clubs using simulators have a tendency to show you want you want to see.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I don't recall attacking you personally before you suggested that I (among others) led a miserable life because I too had doubts about this OP's driving stats. Do you ever play Nintendo Wii? Switch games after playing for awhile and the system puts up a message on the screen with a picture of outside and it suggests taking a break.  If thesandtrap.com had that feature, it would be popping up on your screen right about . . . . . now

Yeah, OK Mr. 10,000 posts. I think that pop us message must be burnt into your screen by now.

Ok Jimbo. Just saw your five week old swing. I assume you've made astronomical improvements between then and now.... I doubt that five week old swing can carry it more than 200 yards most of the time at sea level.
  • Upvote 2

Constantine

Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

Yeah, OK Mr. 10,000 posts.    I think that pop us message must be burnt into your screen by now.

What does his post count have to do with anything?  He hasn't lost his cool.

You must be doing one of the following things:

You could add a "D)" to your list as well.  Not paying attention to where the tee markers are.

I will often hit a good drive and try to estimate the distance by subtracting the remaining distance from the distance listed on the scorecard, but I could have easily been hitting my drive from 10-20 yards in front of the actual marker.  (Luckily, I have a GPS now, so I will finally learn how far I actually hit my drives)

If Dicks is telling you 95 mph, you could be even slower.  Chain stores that sell golf clubs using simulators have a tendency to show you want you want to see.

It was telling me 95mph the first day I went in there and had only golfed one round, and I totally agree with you the simulators could say what ever and could be totally inaccurate. But ss I'm guessing is the most accurate measurement. I'm now showing 105 average and 109 max ss on their machine. granted it could be wrong but the drives on the course don't lie, and improvements in ss can be seen on the machine along with accuracy and distance also getting better on the course.

Sincerely, Jim

What does his post count have to do with anything?  He hasn't lost his cool.

Was it totally necessary for you to involve yourself?

As you can clearly see, my post has a huge smile face.  That typically indicates sarcasm and a non-serious tone.  WTF is up with you guys, seriously.

Quote:

I don't recall attacking you personally before you suggested that I (among others) led a miserable life because I too had doubts about this OP's driving stats. Do you ever play Nintendo Wii? Switch games after playing for awhile and the system puts up a message on the screen with a picture of outside and it suggests taking a break.  If thesandtrap.com had that feature, it would be popping up on your screen right about . . . . . now

Yeah, OK Mr. 10,000 posts.    I think that pop us message must be burnt into your screen by now.

Quote:

Its basically my screen saver now.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Thats odd, because I was trying out the new cobra AMP at Dicks at was only hitting it 250 according to the launch monitor and visualizer.  However, I've  had several sources tell me my swing speed is well over 110.  They went straight in the visualizer, so I asked one of the employees what the deal was, and in a kind of snotty tone, he said that its just a machine and won't actually tell you the correct distance, just what the direction is...  I believe him, but what a waste to have that machine then if it won't even be accurate.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Originally Posted by phillyk

Thats odd, because I was trying out the new cobra AMP at Dicks at was only hitting it 250 according to the launch monitor and visualizer.  However, I've  had several sources tell me my swing speed is well over 110.  They went straight in the visualizer, so I asked one of the employees what the deal was, and in a kind of snotty tone, he said that its just a machine and won't actually tell you the correct distance, just what the direction is...  I believe him, but what a waste to have that machine then if it won't even be accurate.

I had a simulator at Dicks tell me I was hitting a 3H 240 about 4 shots in a row and none of them were more than 6 yards off line.  Let's just say the 3H is nowhere close to my 240 club and I hit it left quite a bit.

Any input good or bad is very welcome. Cheers

It's like saying you routinely have 26 putts.

On what course? On what greens? Under what conditions? How many were tap in after you putted from off the green?

Where are you hitting it 300?

On a range where the ball runs 80 metres?

It irritates people because

a) It is possible certainly possible but it is unlikely - Do it on a soft course and I'll be impressed.

b) It doesn't matter

d) It's like someone who has never played golf thinking that having had a hole in one is the measure of a good golfer.

d) The experience of most players who have been around a while is that 300 = 220

e) Lastly, you say your handicap is 27. Here is a challenge for you: Go out next time with your driver, a club you can hit 50 to 100 yards along the ground and your putter and nothing else. If you have the coordination to hit the ball 300 yards, I can guarantee you that you have the coordination to hit the ball 50 yards twice in a row and then average 2 putts. On par 5s, just bunt the ball with  80 or 90 yards or so for your second and third shots. Chances are you wil discover one or both of the following:

1) You do not hit the ball 300 yards anywhere except on rock hard ranges or goat track golf courses

2) Your handicap is not 27

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

With all the people involved in the thread there has got to be at least one person who knows someone in the Las Vegas area. A person who can be a representative  for the others and go out on a round of golf with  me. I'll even pay for the rounds. Have this person verify some drives and this could all be cleared up. Or maybe just meet me at any driving range. Just a thought.

Sincerely, Jim

Or, in my case (Wii Fit) it berates me when it's been too long time since the last time I exercised.  (Now I just avoid her altogether)

Note: This thread is 4214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!