IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey man I will give you props because of all the "I'm going to play on the PGA tour" or "I drive it 300 yards but can't putt so it makes my handicap higher" threads you actually followed up. Plus not only did you follow up you did what you claimed so you should get a lot of respect for it. Hopefully other thread starters will take note of this thread...

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Congrats man. Real happy to see you do it.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Seems like you got the results you claimed more or less. But your smash factor, spin, and accuracy are awful. Pretty much what we'd expect from a high handicap swinging hard. Misses are both left and right, and almost 150 yards between your best and worst. Don't think you're a prodigy with the driver, you've got tons to work on, but it seems you have a ton of raw power which gives you potential.

Swing speed consistently over 115, which is pretty impressive (more for the consistency than the mph). You obviously have the generation of power down, many players trying for high SS would have a larger range than you show, mostly keeping it within a few mph. The carry on your good hits was also really long, carrying 290 is no mean feat for anybody. You could hit 300 yarders on any course flying it like that, so Vegas isn't as much of a factor. I was expecting a less consistent SS and shorter carry on your good ones but higher ball speed. Interesting. Don't think I'm claiming to do better though, I hit my driver like a pile of butts.

Also, I don't think it should become standard policy to make everyone on the internet go verify their yardages on Trackman. I think you probably went through more trouble than necessary, but you did get basically proven right.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I gotta do the Trackman thing. I went to the Callaway Performance Center today and the printout they gave me reads: Driver Efficiency (Smash Factor): 1.47 6i Efficiency: 1.42 Must be for one selected swing, but I know I also hit some solid 6i's (had to....I hit at least 50 of them, along with another 40 drivers). I also know my SF with driver can't average 1.47. (I don't think so, anyway). For $100, I'd rather have the nice report you received. Not that the guy at the CPC wasn't nice....he was - I'm just sayin'.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Seems like you got the results you claimed more or less. But your smash factor, spin, and accuracy are awful. Pretty much what we'd expect from a high handicap swinging hard. Misses are both left and right, and almost 150 yards between your best and worst. Don't think you're a prodigy with the driver, you've got tons to work on, but it seems you have a ton of raw power which gives you potential.

Swing speed consistently over 115, which is pretty impressive (more for the consistency than the mph). You obviously have the generation of power down, many players trying for high SS would have a larger range than you show, mostly keeping it within a few mph. The carry on your good hits was also really long, carrying 290 is no mean feat for anybody. You could hit 300 yarders on any course flying it like that, so Vegas isn't as much of a factor. I was expecting a less consistent SS and shorter carry on your good ones but higher ball speed. Interesting. Don't think I'm claiming to do better though, I hit my driver like a pile of butts.

Also, I don't think it should become standard policy to make everyone on the internet go verify their yardages on Trackman. I think you probably went through more trouble than necessary, but you did get basically proven right.

I was one that thought he would do it or atleast come close. I think he more than satisfied expectations. I was truthfully expecting to see maybe touching 290 and it would be easy to say well he didnt hit one of his best and he could have gotten to the claimed 300. He put 2 past 300 and one well over 300. Not on a gps or on a swing simulator but he did it on a trackman.

Get ready for all the backhanded compliments jim but you never claimed to be accurate or a professional. You said you were progressing faster than expected and could hit the 1 in 20 bomb which is exactly what you did. Learn to control that drive, work on your wedge from 100 or so in and you should really start dropping some strokes.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Seems like you absolutely got the results you claimed [s]more or less[/s]. You could hit 300 yarders on any course flying it like that, so Vegas isn't [b][i]a factor at all[/b][/i][s] as much of a factor[/s]. Also, I [s]don't[/s] think it should become standard policy to make everyone on the internet go verify their yardages on Trackman. I think you probably went through more trouble than necessary, but you did get [s]basically[/s] proven right.

I agree.

Congrats, you got a few out there, however like you said your hitting it all over the place wich was expected and that was one of the reasons I doubted you hit it that far, but you did it so congrats.I need to get my self out to one of those also I really am surprised how much roll on some of those shots.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by colin007

I'm pretty sure I've seen video of that somewhere on the internets...

twogolfersonetrackman.com?

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for all the congrats.... And yes trackman is damn fun , and after hitting on it and seeing real numbers, it really makes you want to work on your swing. I'm now thinking about going in ever two or three months and tracking my progress. Seems like that would be fun, I plan in improving allot over the next couple years, and trackman would really put my improvement into prospective.

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

I gotta do the Trackman thing. I went to the Callaway Performance Center today and the printout they gave me reads:

Driver Efficiency (Smash Factor): 1.47

6i Efficiency: 1.42

Must be for one selected swing, but I know I also hit some solid 6i's (had to....I hit at least 50 of them, along with another 40 drivers). I also know my SF with driver can't average 1.47. (I don't think so, anyway).

For $100, I'd rather have the nice report you received. Not that the guy at the CPC wasn't nice....he was - I'm just sayin'.

I would think anybody with HC 5 would have their SF with driver at least 1.47.

I did trackman a month ago and averaged 1.47 out of 10 shots with HC 19. But my avg 6i on the other hand was only 1.35.

I think Jimbo needs to get lessons on hitting the ball better to unleash (or harness?) all that power he has, as his SF is really low.

I would think anybody with HC 5 would have their SF with driver at least 1.47. I did trackman a month ago and averaged 1.47 out of 10 shots with HC 19. But my avg 6i on the other hand was only 1.35.  I think Jimbo needs to get lessons on hitting the ball better to unleash (or harness?) all that power he has, as his SF is really low.

Hmm...maybe it was an average then. I'll call tomorrow and ask. Seems like it would be the opposite, but I've never looked into the various stats, what's optimal, etc.

Originally Posted by luu5

I would think anybody with HC 5 would have their SF with driver at least 1.47.

I did trackman a month ago and averaged 1.47 out of 10 shots with HC 19. But my avg 6i on the other hand was only 1.35.

I think Jimbo needs to get lessons on hitting the ball better to unleash (or harness?) all that power he has, as his SF is really low.

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

Hmm...maybe it was an average then. I'll call tomorrow and ask. Seems like it would be the opposite, but I've never looked into the various stats, what's optimal, etc.

1.47 is outstanding ... that is what PGA Tour players average.  During my one trackman session (testing 6 irons only) I was told that 1.42, 1.43 was pretty good.  And in fact, that is as good as I could do.

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

I also took a about 15 cuts after the report was made and he was packing up. I cranked up my SS a bit more 125 average on those last 15 cuts and hit 2 out of the 15 300+. I was just getting warmed up when the session was over. We where having allot of trouble with tees sticking in the mat and I could only get about one ball teed up per minute at best. The lengths of the tees varied also, as we where cutting my tees down and trying to make them work. Just couldn't get the tees to stick in the mat and stay up after the ball was set on it.

I talked with Jeff a bit after and during the session and asked him what he thought about my swing and distance claims. He absolutely agreed I've hit the ball 330 no problem, as I have claimed a 326. He also said he has no doubts that I could hit about 2 300+ yard drives per round as I claimed. He also pointed out that even with all my bad club face stats and smash factor. If I could just reduce my ball spin and launch angle I would hit lots of 300+ drives.

He also mentioned I might get an average of about 10 yards more distance of roll In real life conditions.

Here are the best two shots if you don't want to download that pdf.

Swing Speed: 116.7  Smash Factor: 1.42 Carry: 291.9   Total Distance: 314.8

Swing Speed: 117.7  Smash Factor: 1.42 Carry: 286.9   Total Distance: 301.6

I'd like to take some credit here Jimbo.  I posted some really unbelievable LONG BOMB instructional videos while you were away within this thread.  I know you read them, practiced them, and put them into play tonight.  Good job! (jk)

Seriously, I love it when guys go out and back up what they said they were going to do.  Trackman is a great tool - and as Erik mentioned... You should really consider getting lessons from Radar Academy.  Especially with your swing speed.  You make some changes to your mechanics - and your scores will come down very quickly hitting the ball that far.

The average tour pro swings the driver 112mph.  Therefore, your 115mph average - you're ahead of the tour.  That is impressive.

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?02401

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

1.47 is outstanding ... that is what PGA Tour players average.  During my one trackman session (testing 6 irons only) I was told that 1.42, 1.43 was pretty good.  And in fact, that is as good as I could do.

I think with 6i you can not get much higher than 1.43ish. Iron is a different kind of beast to driver, also the hit is totally different.

Awesome! I never doubted your claim of hitting it 300+, but I am even more impressed that you did it when it counted ( with the whole world watching , with the ESPN coverage , with your Sand Trap reputation on the line. Everyone should give you a rep point on your trackman data post.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Thanks Jimbo.  There are a lot of lessons here for the internets:

1.  Just because someone averages 238.4 doesn't mean they swing 95mph.

2.  Just because someone averages 238.4 doesn't mean they can't hit it over 300 on occasion.

3.  We should give ourselves a reality check when we think we can average 300 because our swing speed is 115+

3.  In general, handicap is inversely correlated with swing speed, but there are exceptions because that's too naive a correlation.  Shot dispersion should be considered.

Lots of good stuff and thanks for the post.  Get that dispersion tightened up and that average will go up as well.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Note: This thread is 4235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!