IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

I like Miller. He adds a little color to the event without being silly like Gary McCord. But to each their own.

I like guys without a filter. They make me feel better about myself! Actually, I like Miller's opinions and his knowledge of the golf swing. And I challenge anyone to fill time in a golf tournament.

I also like McCord. And, I'm not sure what Maltbie brings to the table in terms of announcing acumen. He seems like a nice guy and I did read a book of his that I liked, though.

He's dumb, no common sense, says stupid things and tries to sound smart when he really isn't. He's a fool and did I mention , hes dumb?
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

Johnny's great because he provides chat for message boards and talk at the water cooler. Whether anyone takes him seriously or thinks he's an ass is up to the viewer.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I used to try copy his swing a million years ago. I'm trying to think of that great year he had when we started out winning a bunch of spring tournaments, and that U.S. Open win at Oakmont, even Tiger thought that was impressive.

Eventually, I'll get the hint and stop advertising, which is against the rules.

• 5 months later...
Tiger is back and so is Miller.

#1-Was it appropriate to comment on sean o hair's personal relationship with his father?
#2-How many times could one commentator say the word 'cut' or 'high cut' during a round?

the knucklehead is back! Overrated player, overrated commentator, overrated mind.
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

He's got a great TV voice and Arnie seemed to take a shine to him...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I think his voice is actually quite annoying. Miller is a tool as far as announcing goes, simply because he thinks what he says matters. I thought Peter Jacobsen was incredibly good in his comments yesterday, he speaks well, doesn't try to add inane comments in, and says as little as possible which is about what a golf announcer should be.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Ugh... Miller is back.

In my bag:

Cleveland Hi Bore XLS 8.5* X Stiff
Mizuno MP 650 13*
Halo 22 Deg Apex Plus 4-E Apex Plus Gap Wedge CG15 54 Deg CG10 58 Deg Anser 4 ProV1x

Generally, I like Johnny, I've really liked him since I saw him win what I think was his last winning tournament on a couple of really bad knees, praying for putts to go in (Pebble Beach 1994).

I don't like it when something happens and a minute or two later Johnny says, "I was going to say that . . .", which did happen at least twice this weekend.

I did almost fall out of my chair on Sunday at one point when he said words to the effect of "Now, I'm not always right . . ."

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

How about Miller comment when Tiger hit his third into the 16 green and ended up within 7 feet of the hole!

We wouldn't have a need to yell at the TV if Miller wasn't on...I like him!

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

OK, I'm feeling brave and ready to out myself: I generally like Johnny as well. Shock Horror. He is full of interesting little gems and insights but yes, sometimes he comes up with a doozy - remember the unintended insult to Rocco at the Open last year ('looks like they guy who cleans your pool' compared to Tiger, or whatever it was he said). I know what he was getting at but really *wince* ... (I've forgiven him ... )

So he puts his foot in his mouth occasionally. It's human, it's endearing, it's entertaining and occasionally irritating but at least he's candid and not a mealy-mouth ..... I value that a lot.

Also his voice is soothing, sometimes I almost fall aslee.....
... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

how many times can one man finish a sentence with "huh Rog?"

This put breaks 3.75" to the left, huh Rog?

the other one that gets me is how he always says what the player is looking at: "He's looking about 4' left of the tower."

There's really no way to tell, the way optics work in those cameras.

He also had a couple where he told everyone that so and so was going to hit the high cut and there you go a slinging hook shows up....

I'm not a fan. I find him pompous, he truly believes that he's better than the current PGA players.

I've also met him...he's kind of an ass...think Don Johnson in Tin Cup.

OK, I'm feeling brave and ready to out myself: I generally like Johnny as well. Shock Horror. He is full of interesting little gems and insights but yes, sometimes he comes up with a doozy - remember the unintended insult to Rocco at the Open last year ('looks like they guy who cleans your pool' compared to Tiger, or whatever it was he said). I know what he was getting at but really *wince* ... (I've forgiven him ...

Agreed - I like listening to Miller: he's brutally honest and that's what rubs folks the wrong way.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Some serious Miller bashing here... I respect your opinions but I just don't get it... I really like Miller and find him entertaining... I don't find him arrogant, although he does have skins on the wall... He calls it as he sees it, which is what he is paid to do... It's really an easy solution if you don't like the commentator: change the channel or hit the mute button... Worked great for me when ABC still covered golf on a regular basis

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

There's no difference between Miller or some of the posters of this forum. A drunken old golfer. lol jk

Feherty, McCord and Faldo are still my faves. Kelly can go fly a kite. :)

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

Note: This thread is 3271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!