IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

Eh, he'll be back next week at Sawgrass. At least CBS' A-Team has been showing up for their telecasts in the meantime; you don't know bad until you hear Bill Macatee, Billy Ray Brown, and Bobby Clampett covering the John Deere Classic by themselves.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• 1 month later...
Just Curious - does anyone else think he sounds like an arrogant jack a$$ when he commentates ? He just always seems to snort about what he would have done and how they should have done this or that..dunno maybe its just me - maybe he earned that right...either way its annoying to listen to I think
anyone else agree or disagree??

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Just Curious - does anyone else think he sounds like an arrogant jack a$$ when he commentates ? He just always seems to snort about what he would have done and how they should have done this or that..dunno maybe its just me - maybe he earned that right...either way its annoying to listen to I think

All guys in his position will come off sounding like a douche - but he's paid to give his opinions and make observations, and I take more from what he says than someone like a Curtis Strange.

I find all golf announcers annoying. Except for David Feherty, of course.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I agree. He's like the Joe Morgan of golf. All Morgan ever talks about on Sunday Night Baseball is what he did when he was playing or how the players today do things differently than he did.
My Bag:
Driver: FT-i (i-Mix version) - 10* w/ UST Proforce V2 (stiff)
5-Wood: RPM Redline
Hybrid: Baffler 23*
Irons: R7 Draw 5-PWGap Wedge: 52* Sand Wedge: 56* CG10Lob Wedge: 60.04 VokeyPutter: White Hot Rossie putterBall: TP Red

In the bag:
Driver - FT-9 10* Stock Stiff Fujikura
3Wood - X 3W Stock Stiff Callaway Graphite Shaft
Hybrids - X Hybrids 21*, 24*, 27* uniflex steel shaft
Irons - X-22 irons 6-PW uniflex steel shaftWedges - X Forged Chrome Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Tour ix or TP...

David Feherty is a genius.

Johnny Miller is giving us what he has to offer. His own experience as a perspective.

I like Faldo alot though. He had me laughing when he was showing O'Hair and Watson on the telestator saying 'Sean, this is Bubba. You guys won't ever meet on the FAIRWAY - but this is him WAAAAYYYY down there about 40 yards in front of you.'

-Bobby Harris
----------------
I play a Wishon driver that was fitted to my personal swing by a professional club fitter
Irons are Tommy Armour 845's for irons handed down to me from my father
Wedges by Cleveland Golf. Gap(52), Sand(56) and Lob(60).And a VERY OLD Odyssey Putter with a graphite...

I don't mind Miller,he gives a compliment when deserved.He say's it like he see's it.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Is it a requirement however to have one or two nimrods in the booth with a foreign accent? Does it have to be some drawly Engish-er or Austrailian boob I can't understand?

I don't get that ... like it's not real golf analysis unless some one in the booth can speak the Queen's English. Like the weather channel where we won't believe it's an actual hurricane unless the idiot is standing out there in it!!!

If I can't understand you, what you're saying does not count ... HAHAHAHA :^)
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

Yeah I have to say I don't mind Johnny either.

I prefer him to some of the other golf announcers that never played... it's nice to have guys offer their perspective that have been there and played just like the pros. Plus, the other announcers kinda balance each other out... one play-by-play guy and one color guy, just like in football, baseball, basketball.

I like Johnny Miller a lot as an announcer...never understood that hate for him. He kind of has a 'loud mouth' but it's straight talk and I like that.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I figured it out. Johnny is the master of 'retrospective swing analysis.' One shot this weekend, a guy pushed his shot out to the right. Skip to the "Swing Vision" thing or whatever, and Johnny watching the swing, and he says, "ok, let's see if the clubface is open at impact....YEP...there it is...he got too much shaft angle and that leaves the club open." WHAT?!!? Let's see, the ball went right off the tee and you're WONDERING IF the club was open? It'd be a miracle of physics otherwise.

Same thing on one putt Barnes had where he yipped a short putt. Miller starts in, "let's look at that short backswing, and yep, when you do that, it makes you pull the putter up off the ground going forward and you'll push it..." All he does is, watch what happened, and just rationalize what motions will make someone do those things, and pass it off as 'swing analysis.'

And don't get me started on "what do you see, ROGER? How's the lie, DOTTIE? He looks nervous, MARK ROLFING..."

And can someone tell me what the hell they're talking about when they say, "he looks really calm, he's handling this really well, I don't see any signs of nerves..."?? Has anyone ever seen one of the guys have a panic attack and break out in sweats?? Of course, the second a guy drops a shot, they'll say, "you know, you can just see it in his eyes, he's not relaxed, he seems very unsettled...."

Just once, I'd love to show Johnny a reel of twenty swings - just swings - and make him tell me what kind of shot it turned out to be.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I figured it out. Johnny is the master of 'retrospective swing analysis.'...

Posting of the Day!!!!

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

I figured it out. Johnny is the master of 'retrospective swing analysis.' One shot this weekend, a guy pushed his shot out to the right. Skip to the "Swing Vision" thing or whatever, and Johnny watching the swing, and he says, "ok, let's see if the clubface is open at impact....YEP...there it is...he got too much shaft angle and that leaves the club open." WHAT?!!? Let's see, the ball went right off the tee and you're WONDERING IF the club was open? It'd be a miracle of physics otherwise.

But the hilarious thing is he knows 10X more about the golf swing that you ever will considering he was a great player in his day and has been a commentator for a while. He may not be good at explaining it on T.V. but to act like he doesn't know anything about the swing seems kind of foolish dude.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

With all do respect to you sonic, I bet you he would get a lot of those swings right. I actually like him, he says a lot of stuff BEFORE it happens. For instance today Barnes was in the fescue, and Johnny started saying how he should be aiming a lot more right so will be ok when it grabs the club, and sure enough Barnes hooked it right back into the same crap.

TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

I want to know where you took physics at? No more government grants for them. You can even have a closed club face and still hit right if your alignment is off. Johnny is great for he game. It's very difficult to say the right things all the time. One of the best parts of the open...... is when he served America's weatherman Al Roker on Friday. Al said the day would be a washout. Then Johnny took him on and started talking about the radar and how the storms would dissipate over long island. He sent Roker home for the weekend with the rest of the boys who didn't make the cut.
Driver: Adams insight A4 Prototype
loft 9.0 face 2 degrees open
Matrix Ozik X high kick point
3 wood Tour Edge Exotic CB2
loft 15 Mitsubishi Fubiki XHybrid Cleveland launcer 3I Aldila NV XIrons ...

Johnny has some faults, but overall, he is better than most. He is definitely better than Nickie Faldo.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!