IGNORED

Any of you ever had a chance to play a Pro course?

mikelegacy
Note: This thread is 4298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I was in high school, one of the teams in our league had TPC Boston, host of the Deutsche Bank, as their home course, so I've played there a few times. When you play there you realize why the average winning score is -17 or so. It's not particularly hard, but one of the best looking courses I've played, especially in the fall when the leaves turn. I've played Pleasant Valley Country Club (in Sutton, MA), which used to host a PGA Tour event (it went by a bunch of names: Mass Classic, New England Classic, Bank of Boston Classic, later the CVS Charity Classic, which has no relation to the CVS Caremark Classic, an unofficial PGA Tour event hosted at Rhode Island CC). Fun course, and probably the largest greens I've ever seen. I've also played the Palm and Magnolia Disney courses, which host the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Classic on the PGA Fall Tour. The next one I want to try to play is Bethpage Black.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am going to play harbortown in september. I can't wait. it will be on my honeymoon, and no my wife will not be playing with me.  I also have a promice to play sawgrass from an inlaw that works for the pga. gotta hold him to that.

I would love to play copperhead here in the tampa area where they play the transitions...

Oak Hill (Championship East Course) just after the 2003 PGA Championship.  It was redicuously tough!  I believe only 4 players broke par that tournament.  Woods and Els both said it was the toughest course they had ever played (up to that point anyway).  Also played it just after the 2008 Senior PGA Championship.

I've played a couple "Tour" courses.  Being from Long Island and working at a golf course, I'm blessed to be able to get myself on some private clubs. I've played Bethpage Black, been on shinnecock however never with my clubs. Couple courses out East on Long Island that are "tour" approved would be Atlantic, and The Bridge. I was lucky enough to play them both. If the courses weren't so private and upscale, they would allow the PGA to throw events there, however thats how they are. The Bridge could be hands down the nicest course I've ever played seen, etc. And its super long and hard!

Like someone stated above already I've played a future US Open course, Chambers Bay, also a previous tour stop of the Air Canada Championship, The Ridge at Northview (I've played there many times, it's one of my home courses), I'm planning a visit to TPC Scottsdale though.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

My home course (back tee 74,7 / 141, par 71) will have European Challenge Tour event in August. Not ET but I guess like the Nationwide in US. They have started to grow the rough now (up to 3,1 inches) and it will be interesting to see how the course will change with this and faster greens.

I've played the TPC @ Scotsdale AZ(Played it 2 weeks after the tour event; play from the tips and shot an [81], IndianWood [80] & Oakland HIlls [79] in MI, Harbor in Ohio [85] these were all in my late 50's.  Had a friend who had a house on the Buick Open Course [warwick hills] and played that one several times also played the Tournament Players club in Dearborn (Sr PGA Course)

Just Bethpage Black, but I'm looking to get back on it right before they close it for the Barclays this year, and possibly after. I think it will be cool playing with some of the grandstands already set up.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

TPC Scottsdale TPC Michigan Olympia Fields

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

Just one. I played TCP Sugerloaf in Atlanta. Oh that 18th hole killed me, it was so hard.

I was playing good that day, and shot on 88. But it was no where near tournament condition when I played it.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I actually managed to play TPC at Deer run 2 times, and the first time I played, I plugged into the 3rd hole par 3, and put the 2nd in for birdie.  And the 16th I think, par-3, their signature hole along the river, I landed the ball just a foot past the hole, and ended 3ft away and put the birdie in.  I definitely had a great time playing there from the 2nd longest tees!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Oh yeah.  I've played Doral (Blue Monster), Olympic club, Harding park, Torrey Pines, and this September, I will be playing the Pebble beach--Can't wait!

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I'm going to Seattle at the end of August.  I'm booking a round at Chambers Bay which will be the host of the 2015 US Open.  I've also played a handful of courses that the tour plays... The Memorial at Muirfield Village being my favorite.  Others... PGA National, TPC Scottsdale, Cog Hill - Dubsdread.

The closest I've ever come is playing at the Pinehurst CC.  My brother in law used to be on the staff there.  He went out every morning around 5am and changed the hole/pin location and blew the pine needles off the greens on one of the PHCC courses.  His house was situated at one of the course tee boxes so it was pretty convenient for him.  That got him unlimited free golf there so whenever I visited I always took my clubs and we played one of the courses.   Unfortunately he's not doing that anymore.  But it was good, very good.  The fairways were like playing on deep pile carpet.  I'll never forget the sound a golf ball makes when it rebounds off of the trunk of a pine tree!

I've played at least 15-20 courses that have been used for tour events; but the one that stands out in my memory is Oakland Hills.

I was invited to play there one afternoon about 2-3 years ago; and it was playing pretty slowly - so we asked why at the turn and were informed that there was a bit $$$ charity outing in morning and that they took quite a while to finish. But the best part of it was that as an incentive to the charity all of the pins that day were place in the same spots they were at for the Sunday round of the 2004 Ryder Cup. Needless to say there weren't many gimmies with pins tucked in corners of greens, or right near breaklines...but it was awesome.

Players play, tough players win!

I've played a few myself but, my favorite so far was the torrey pines.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Note: This thread is 4298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!