Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
joekelly

Projected conditions for the Br. Open, next week.

Note: This thread is 2813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 posts / 661 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I am speculating here but have read of lots, lots and even more rain in UK this past  2 months. This year's course, Royal Lytham, is near but not next to the seacoast and probably pretty flat although the underlying soil may be quite sandy. Would expect to see very high grass, with all the rain and now increasing temps, soggy even squishy underfoot in many places, lots of tractor wheel  tread marks where the choice is cut the grass and muck the land or leave the grass grow to a foot tall.  Nice rough, eh? Heavy, soggy surface means little run of ball on the surface and if  the rain continues expect putting greens like shag rugs.  Will be humorous to read all the comments after the first day of play. More than a  few cry-babies on tour.  May the best ''mudder" win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The course is sand based so it shouldn't become too muddy. The weather has been awful for the last.... actually I can't remember when it wasn't awful, 4 holes are closed on my course, club champioship cancelled this weekend, the pro-am on Monday has been cancelled for the second time.

Here is a link I posted on another thread and the course conditions a couple of weeks ago: -

http://www.nikegolfacademy.co.uk/2012/07/05/coachs-blog/

The rough will be brutal though, not the high wispy stuff, but thick clingy evilness.

Rain showers forecast for next weekend, winds of between 10mph & 20mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully this will be a bloodbath. Players are going to have to play every shot in the book in these conditions, which will hopefully separate the average players from the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by joekelly

Will be humorous to read all the comments after the first day of play. More than a  few cry-babies on tour.  May the best ''mudder" win.

Why wait until the first day!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/15/open-2012-tiger-woods-lytham-rough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Why wait until the first day!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/15/open-2012-tiger-woods-lytham-rough


That's not exactly a "cry-baby" response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

True - more like getting excuses in early


Whatever. I can't recall Tiger ever complaining about conditions on a course hurting his game. He's always put any blame on himself if he played poorly. I'm not sure why you are picking on Woods here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MSchott

Whatever. I can't recall Tiger ever complaining about conditions on a course hurting his game. He's always put any blame on himself if he played poorly. I'm not sure why you are picking on Woods here.

Really, I'm picking on Tiger, not you being hypersensitive?

He was the first to be reported saying the rough is close to being unplayable (because he was the first on the course practising and he moves the needle), the OP predicted that there would be a lot of moans about the conditions, I was simply pointing out it had started before they'd even hit a ball in anger.

I can link to subsequent articles quoting Clarke and Poulter saying the same if that would make you feel that I wasn't bullying Tiger, also an article by the top bloke at the R&A; telling them all to get on with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Really, I'm picking on Tiger, not you being hypersensitive?

He was the first to be reported saying the rough is close to being unplayable (because he was the first on the course practising and he moves the needle), the OP predicted that there would be a lot of moans about the conditions, I was simply pointing out it had started before they'd even hit a ball in anger.

I can link to subsequent articles quoting Clarke and Poulter saying the same if that would make you feel that I wasn't bullying Tiger, also an article by the top bloke at the R&A; telling them all to get on with it.


Your comments sound to me that you think Tiger is making excuses. I don't see his comments that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...