IGNORED

2012 British Open Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 4287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Am neither a Tiger fan or hater, but if he got rid of current putter and got out that old Ping Anser II or SC(what ever it was), he'd be in the lead now and would win Sunday.  Would be a great wager.

I'd take that wager in a heartbeat.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bigoak

Am neither a Tiger fan or hater, but if he got rid of current putter and got out that old Ping Anser II or SC(what ever it was), he'd be in the lead now and would win Sunday.  Would be a great wager.

He used the Scotty for a round or two a couple of weeks ago - it was working about as well as the Nike. The problems aren't the putter - it's the puttee.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'll take option #1. which of your 3 scenarios are you taking?

I'm skeptical that Adam Scott has another round in him like his first three. He started to look a little shaky down the stretch on Saturday, and I don't know if he would be able to adjust to dramatically different playing conditions (if the forecast is correct). Plus, we haven't seen a final-round collapse in a while, and it's feeling like it may be time for another. If the winds start to gust in the afternoon, the leaders will have their hands full with that opening stretch of holes. Who's to say that Donald, Watson, or Oosthuizen might be play the first six holes before the gusts pick up, post the round of the day, and watch the lead come back to them around six-under? The most probable outcome is 1. I'd say 3 is more likely than 2, because I think Scott is more likely to shoot a 76 than a 72 (but not as likely as him shooting 70).

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

A couple of things: - In the contest, I have Tiger @ -14. Since it's clear that my pick is a stone cold lock, I'm amenable to cash offers. Hurry, though...opportunities like this don't come along every day ;) - Another thread talked about Chamblee and his Tiger comments. I was just listening to him talk about how Tiger needs to change his game plan for tomorrow. Seems to me Tiger brought his 'wind game' with him, and if it blows tomorrow, I think he might be able to do exactly what he's been doing and have a decent chance. The ball's obviously in Adam's court, though. If he could buy it, I bet Scott would pay a pretty penny and take even par for Sunday. - Gotta feel for Brandt. You think we feel bad when the wheels fall off? Man...... Great reaction when he finally made a birdie. - Phil.....geez. If Tiger had missed the cut, we'd hear about it forever. Phil was, what...in the bottom ten or there about? We won't (and shouldn't) hear much about that. Hope it was just bad golf and not his arthritis. - Els is standing so close to the ball when he's putting that I keep waiting for him to accidently kick it. Seems to be working, though. - Speaking of putting, ban long putters....before the final round tomorrow, if possible. - He glitched a little, but I thought the kid playing with Tiger today played remarkably well. Watch him in the future. - I hate that a caddy's name is even mentioned as part of a story in a major. Not taking anything away from their role, though. - Did I mention that I think long putters should be banned for all golfers? I thought Feherty said it best: It just doesn't look right. Managing one's nerves should matter, too. When Tiger was playing his best and making everything he looked at, can you imagine if he'd been using a long putter? EVERYONE would be saying, "Yeah, well, look at his putter! I'd he had to use a regular putter....." Tomorrow: Adam is hitting it so pure that it's hard to imagine he doesn't pull it off, but stranger things have certainly happened. Still pulling for Tiger, though. I think he's the best man to ever swing a golf club, but if he doesn't get to 18+ majors, a bunch of folks will debate that (even if he gets there, some people will still have a different opinion, but....). Hope everyone enjoys the tournament!

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

I have to say though, it does look as if Tiger is improving dramatically with each and every major. I think that just like with regular tour events, he will eventually get back to winning and being a solid favorite every time. Just my two cents.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Assuming the golf gambling markets are efficient, Scott looks to have about a 60-65% chance of winning tomorrow.....and there appear to be some sharp gamblers that are betting against him.  Now, I am certainly not saying that who bets on who has anything to do with who will actually win tomorrow, but it does tell me it is going to be a very interesting day.

If I had to choose a player (other than Scott), I would put my money on Tiger.....I really think he threatens tomorrow.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Originally Posted by BallStriker

Assuming the golf gambling markets are efficient, Scott looks to have about a 60-65% chance of winning tomorrow.....and there appear to be some sharp gamblers that are betting against him.  Now, I am certainly not saying that who bets on who has anything to do with who will actually win tomorrow, but it does tell me it is going to be a very interesting day.

If I had to choose a player (other than Scott), I would put my money on Tiger.....I really think he threatens tomorrow.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Sean, where do you stand on Scotts chances?  I thought that you usually changed your avatar AFTER the guys has already won.  Soooo, are you that confident that Scott will win?  Or do you dislike him and are trying to jinx him?  Or, maybe you're just tired of Zach Johnson's angel golf ball?

If the same criteria that some folks apply to Tiger were to applied to some others we wold have to say that Rory will never win another major.  LOL

Silly to project possible results for tomorrow since we don't know what the weather will do and that is a huge factor.  If the winds are up is Scott going to be able to continue bombing it 310+ and his 75% of the fairways?  Or will he be able to shift gears and start hitting irons and have to approach the greens from 50 yards further away and still hit them?  His major advantage over the field has been his driving distance while maintaining a decent fairways hit percent.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

At 10am Sunday, the current winds in St. Annes is approx. 14 mph per weather.com.  We will have to see what the afternoon are blowing at.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Silly to project possible results for tomorrow since we don't know what the weather will do and that is a huge factor.  If the winds are up is Scott going to be able to continue bombing it 310+ and his 75% of the fairways?

• Administrator

2012 British Open Final Round Chat

http://thesandtrap.com/b/pga/2012_british_open_final_round_chat

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, based on early results we know there is a 65 out there, and we know there is an 82 out there. Somehow I don't think Scott will shoot 82 while Tiger shoots a 65, but let's assume for the sake of argument that's what happens. In that case, I think Tiger will win.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by brocks

Well, based on early results we know there is a 65 out there, and we know there is an 82 out there. Somehow I don't think Scott will shoot 82 while Tiger shoots a 65, but let's assume for the sake of argument that's what happens.

In that case, I think Tiger will win.

If Tiger shoots 65 I think he wins, yes. I don't think he will. 69 won't be enough to get it done for him and that's what I think he'll shoot. I think he'll play conservatively but still screw up a few holes like yesterday.

Join us in the live chat.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Join us in the live chat.

Can't do it. I normally watch TV on an older tube so I can use the PC at the same time, but once the leaders tee off, I want to watch it in HD (and golf is the only reason I'm paying for an HD signal), and that means I'll be watching it on the big monitor I normally use for the PC. Too annoying to switch back and forth; I'd rather work out or something while watching the golf.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Any apps to watch this on a phone?

A CoverItLive app is available for the iPhone. Probably Android too.

Tiger isn't playing golf anymore, he's just fooling around in the sand.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Plugged in the face of the bunker, hit the face, lucky it didn't hit him. Virtually impossible stance in the bunker, actually ended up kneeling outside the bunker, hit the lip again but goes on the green leaving a long putt, which he 3 stabbed.

Note: This thread is 4287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!