IGNORED

2012 British Open Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thank you Adam! I think I won as well.

Driver: 913D2, 9.5°
3-Wood: V-Steel, 15°
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP, 19°
Irons: MP-64, 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM 54.10, 60.08 Putter: Studio Style Newport 2

Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by LovinItAll

Man, I like Ernie, but....wow. Major choke job. Not saying I haven't choked before, but...wow.

Yep, all that talk about the 'advanage' Adam would have with Williams 'in his ear'. Maybe he would have finished with 4 doubles instead of bogies? Don't think so.

Stevie can't talk about what a great front-runner he is now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mattplusness

All I have to say is that I am glad Adam Scott lost.

I can't stand that long putter crap. It takes away so much.

Ernie uses a belly putter.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Snedeker and Woods both tied for 3rd? ESPN originally at the end of 18/72 had Tiger 4th. Looks like they had Snedeker shooting 73 and he actually shot a 74?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Snedeker and Woods both tied for 3rd? ESPN originally at the end of 18/72 had Tiger 4th. Looks like they had Snedeker shooting 73 and he actually shot a 74?

Yeah. I think they said his putt was for par on 18 but it was for bogey, apparently.

That's petty IMO. Scott is and always has been a class act. the rules allow for the long putter and it works for him most of the time. Place your anger with the PGA Tour and the R and A not Scott.

Amazing how fast things can change.  This thing was over after Scott birdied 14.

Originally Posted by realed

Thank you Adam! I think I won as well.

Great pick!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Glad Williams isnt on a major winning bag today, but I do like Adam Scott. Congrats to Els, he worked hard, and it shows.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Boo Weekley was doing stats for them,

Hey, why not?  If they can use a rules guru like Azinger, why not a numbers guy like Boo?

Random musings on the Open: ESPN had Snedeker's score wrong for half an hour after he completed play. Even when the camera stayed focused on the course's official scoreboard as a backdrop, showing Sned at -3, the on-screen scoreboard kept showing him at -4. Very sloppy. It's not Scott's fault, but I think the ref blew it when his ball moved. He should have been penalized. I guess the ref knew they were having time problems and wanted to make a quick decision, but he should have taken longer and gotten more facts. Scott was brushing the grass just a few inches from the ball with his practice strokes. That doesn't prove he caused the ball to move, but the rules say it's a penalty unless you're sure he DIDN'T cause the ball to move, and that was definitely not the case. Well done for Ernie. It won't shock many here if I admit I was rooting for Tiger, but I've been feeling bad about all the putts Ernie was barely missing since at least Friday, especially with all the putts Scott, McDowell, and Snedeker were making. I started rooting for Ernie as soon as Tiger had his adventure in the bunker today. As for Tiger, there are many, many positives for the week. He's clearly not all the way back, but now he's enough back to be in the mix on a major Sunday, even when his game is off, even when he can't control the distance on his wedges, and even spotting the field 30 yards off the tee. He missed so many shots from less than 150 yards, and so many putts from less than 12 feet, that even a top 20 would have been good. Instead, he finished T3, the best he's done since 2009. What's more, having Ernie win when he was missing so many putts bodes very well for Tiger's quest for 19 majors. Ernie was never as good as Tiger, so if he can win during a poor putting week, a couple months short of his 43rd birthday, then so can Tiger. And once again, the guys who were supposed to make it impossible for Tiger to dominate during the Rory Era didn't show up. Rory T60, Westwood T45. To be fair, Dustin Johnson managed to squeeze out a tie with Mark Calcivecchia. Tiger only needs to find a couple shots a round to practically guarantee getting back to his career average of 5-6 wins per year, and 1 major per year. And Lord knows the shots are out there. Just getting his wedge shots up to average proximity would probably give him two shots a round.
  • Upvote 1

i honestly can't see how els won't be a factor for another 4-5 years in majors with that swing - he was absolutely pounding drives this week, and was first overall in GIR.  as long as he keeps things steady with the belly putter, i wouldn't be surprised if he wins 1 or two more majors.  it was refreshing to see him win another big one; it makes us 30 somethings feel like kids again.

Originally Posted by iacas

I predict someone under the age of 40 wins this year.

Discuss all things "Royal Lytham & St. Anne's in 2012" here. :)

too bad for your prediction.

• Upvote 1

WTF? What a retard of a statement. Ernie uses a long putter too, and so does Web Simpson, who won the US Open.

GET OVER IT ALREADY.

In other news, I'm happy for Ernie, always liked the big easy. But I was rooting for Adam to win today, he deserves a major. He'll get one, but I guess just not today.

This game is tough, it will crack you in the balls, you just have to get up and dust yourself off.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Altough I didn't want Adam Scott to win (mostly because of his caddy) that was tough to watch. He played very well all week and a win would have been deserved.

Els played a brilliant round, especially on the back nine he was almost flawless. Congrats on the win!

Tiger really with some bad luck there on 6. In his interview he told how he had no chance to play it out to the left and just tried to move it to the right part of the bunker. Other than that and those 2 weak drives into bunkers on the back nine, he played very well this week too. A lot of positives, and he moves to number 2 in the rankings.

Funny moment of the day: GMac's three wood on 11. I have this shot in my bag too!

Can you imagine if the wind was up all 4 days and a bit of rain, the winning score could have been +5.

At least Ernie doesn't have to worry about a Masters' invite for five years.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!