IGNORED

2012 British Open Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 4288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mvmac

Insert Caption.....

"Didn't I tell you that you'd be more successful if you stopped playing sports and picked up golf?!"

I'm sure this one will go down well with my fellow sand trappers!

Hold still.  one quick twist and that pain in your neck will be gone.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

:-)      Insert Caption..... [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/56743/] [/URL]

"A wise man once taught me the healing power of the body's natural pressure points. He sells t-shirts outside the World Trade Center, he's a genius. From pain will come pleasure."

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

All I have to say is that I am glad Adam Scott lost.

I can't stand that long putter crap. It takes away so much.

I feel for Adam, but I simply can NOT root for someone who uses an anchored putter.    Period.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by walk18

SO glad for Ernie. Well done!

Also, no way Adam Scott caused the ball to move earlier. It rolled away long after he had walked up to the green.

Ya, the rules official got it right, period. There was such a long time between his practice strokes and the ball moving that there is no way he caused it. The rules are clear, and the official made the right call. I watched it 6 or 7 times now, and theres no way anyone can say Scott moved that ball.

I feel badly for Adam Scott, I have been a fan of his since I started watching golf. But I just cannot chear for him with Williams on his bag. That ******* needs to be fired and blacklisted after the shit he has done and said. I know a lot of people hate tiger, but even with the whole world attacking him, he never said a bad word about anyone involved with him. *******s like williams and Haney broke student teacher trust, and sensationalized things to get themselves in the news. I hope they both get bitten hard by Karma.

/rant

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Yeah, pretty amazing that struggling the way he was he still finished T3.  Do you know if he will move ahead of Lee or Rory in the World rankings?

He was pretty much guaranteed to pass Westwood before he hit a shot today. And if I didn't drop a decimal somewhere, that last birdie on 18 put him a few hundredths above Rory, so Tiger will be number two tomorrow. He also extended his lead as #1 in money, scoring, and FedEx points, and moved to #1 in Ryder Cup points. Not bad for a guy who really should give up the game. [quote name="ApocG10" url="/t/60403/2012-british-open-discussion-thread/324#post_746571"] Ya, the rules official got it right, period. There was such a long time between his practice strokes and the ball moving that there is no way he caused it. The rules are clear, and the official made the right call. I watched it 6 or 7 times now, and theres no way anyone can say Scott moved that ball. [/quote] Well, *something* made it move seven seconds after Scott moved his club through the grass less than a foot from the ball, after it had sat there motionless for five minutes or so. The rules say you have to be virtually certain that it wasn't Scott, and I would be very interested to hear what you think caused it to move if it wasn't Scott. As I said earlier, Scott finished three shots clear of Tiger, so it wouldn't affect the standings. But IMO they got it wrong. More importantly, in the opinion of the R&A; rules expert in the booth who saw the whole thing, the ref who didn't see it, and took only about 30 seconds to make his decision based on incomplete information, got it wrong. He should have discussed it with the guy in the booth before making the ruling.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by bwdial

He could have done what GMac did and chip it backwards to simply give himself an easier bunker shot.  If he does that, he probably makes bogey at worst.  He's really lucky it didn't cost him more, since that ball could have very easily hit him when it ricocheted back off the face of the bunker.

First, he was much closer to the lip than Graeme, so that shot isn't easy. Additionally, his shot was in a really, really fried egg lie. Third, he'd be lying 3 so I don't think "bogey at worst" makes any sense.

Originally Posted by bwdial

I'm going to make a bold prediction... LaCava and Woods are as good as done.  From what I could hear of the conversation, Tiger was prepared to make a different play, and Joe mentioned Oleson (sp?) making the shot Saturday.  There were a couple of other instances where it seemed like Tiger was less than thrilled with whatever advice he'd just been given.

I don't think that's even close to the case. Want to wager that La Cava is still on the bag at the start of 2013?

Originally Posted by brocks

Well, *something* made it move seven seconds after Scott moved his club through the grass less than a foot from the ball, after it had sat there motionless for five minutes or so. The rules say you have to be virtually certain that it wasn't Scott, and I would be very interested to hear what you think caused it to move if it wasn't Scott.

Uhm... gravity.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Uhm... gravity.

So somebody had his anti-gravity gun trained on Scott's ball for five minutes or so, and then switched it off seven seconds after he took his practice swings? I guess that's possible, but I wouldn't be "virtually certain" that that's what happened.

I don't think that's even close to the case. Want to wager that La Cava is still on the bag at the start of 2013?

I have zero idea what Tiger and caddy consider 'appropriate' conversation between themselves, but I think, situationally, I'd want my caddy to be very careful when bringing up what another player did. Putting lines, sure, but I think there are other times when I might want my caddy to phrase something without mentioning another player. Of course, it's Tiger, so if you tell him another player did so-and-so, he can probably pull it off. I can't, obviously. I think LaCava's job is pretty safe.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Originally Posted by iacas

First, he was much closer to the lip than Graeme, so that shot isn't easy. Additionally, his shot was in a really, really fried egg lie. Third, he'd be lying 3 so I don't think "bogey at worst" makes any sense.

First of all, no he wasn't.  GMac was further around to the left, but he was between six and ten inches from the face of the bunker, just like Tiger.

GMac's: http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=media%2Fgettyphoto%2F2012%5C07%5C22%5C149041046.jpg&w;=595&h;=436

Tiger's: http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1126635/tigerno.gif

Second, all he's got to do is move the ball a foot or two, and he's Tiger freaking Woods!  If Tiger Woods can't move a ball 18 to 24" out of a fried egg lie, y'all need to take that GOAT thread down.

Third, that's why I qualified it with the word 'probably'.  Again.... he's TFW.  He holed a chip for birdie on Sunday and I'm sure you saw him hole out on 18 on Saturday.  From a couple of feet back from the face of that bunker I'm pretty confident in his ability to get up and down for bogey.

I'm a poor graduate student, but I'll put a Hamilton up.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awesome Ernie!

He played a solid under par round to be comfortably in second, which would be impressive as hell on it's own.

His birdy putt on 18 was a thing of beauty.

Scott dropping a few strokes was all it took.

Fan****ingtastic.

I'm going back to enjoying my summer ... talk to you all when the snow flies.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Awesome Ernie! He played a solid under par round to be comfortably in second, which would be impressive as hell on it's own. His birdy putt on 18 was a thing of beauty. Scott dropping a few strokes was all it took. Fan****ingtastic. I'm going back to enjoying my summer ... talk to you all when the snow flies.

Great job, Ernie. And yes, I drank a glass of the Balvenie 12 year today while watching!:-)

Constantine

Originally Posted by brocks

So somebody had his anti-gravity gun trained on Scott's ball for five minutes or so, and then switched it off seven seconds after he took his practice swings?

I guess that's possible, but I wouldn't be "virtually certain" that that's what happened.

Ummm, wind and gravity.... Pretty damn simple. If I hit the ground next to the ball, the ball is going to move right away, if its going to move at all. It was almost 10 seconds later, and scott was nowhere near the ball, so yes, we can say, without a doubt, that scott did not cause the ball to move. So did the rules official. So, yes, you are wrong, and we can, without a doubt, say nothing but gravity and wind made the ball use. You have no arguement.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Originally Posted by bwdial

First of all, no he wasn't.  GMac was further around to the left, but he was between six and ten inches from the face of the bunker, just like Tiger.

GMac's:  http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=media%2Fgettyphoto%2F2012%5C07%5C22%5C149041046.jpg&w;=595&h;=436

Tiger's: http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1126635/tigerno.gif

Second, all he's got to do is move the ball a foot or two, and he's Tiger freaking Woods!  If Tiger Woods can't move a ball 18 to 24" out of a fried egg lie, y'all need to take that GOAT thread down.

Third, that's why I qualified it with the word 'probably'.  Again.... he's TFW.  He holed a chip for birdie on Sunday and I'm sure you saw him hole out on 18 on Saturday.  From a couple of feet back from the face of that bunker I'm pretty confident in his ability to get up and down for bogey.

I'm a poor graduate student, but I'll put a Hamilton up.

Sorry, I watched Tigers shot and saw his lie. And I saw Mcdowells as well. They were nothing alike, and to say Bogey 'at worst' just proves to me you have never played links golf or been in a pot bunker. You cant get a feel for the depth of them, or the angle of the face of the bunkers, by looking at them on TV.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

First of all, no he wasn't.  GMac was further around to the left, but he was between six and ten inches from the face of the bunker, just like Tiger.   GMac's:  [URL=http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=media%2Fgettyphoto%2F2012%5C07%5C22%5C149041046.jpg&w;=595&h;=436]http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=media%2Fgettyphoto%2F2012%5C07%5C22%5C149041046.jpg&w;=595&h;=436[/URL] Tiger's: [URL=http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1126635/tigerno.gif]http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1126635/tigerno.gif[/URL]

Those pictures only prove the point that GMac had an easier pitch out. Tiger wouldn't have had a stance or a swing turned in that direction GMac was faced.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

, so yes, we can say, without a doubt, that scott did not cause the ball to move.

Unless by "we" you mean you and your wife, you are mistaken. I have my doubts, and so did the rules guy in the booth who actually saw what happened, as opposed to the guy who made the ruling after getting a very sketchy description of what happened. IMO any intelligent person would have at least some doubt, and according to the rules, some doubt is all you need for a penalty. That is not intended as a shot at you; it is my general opinion on the subject. [quote] If I hit the ground next to the ball, the ball is going to move right away, if its going to move at all. [/quote] I have no doubt whatever that you are wrong about that. It is very, very common for some subtle motion to cause a cascade effect that results in macro-motion several seconds or even minutes later. When you are talking about a tangled mass of long grass, it's impossible to predict how fast a disturbance might propagate. Personally, I would not be "virtually certain" that Scott didn't cause the ball to move if it had taken seven minutes. I honestly don't see how anyone could say he's sure that Scott played no part in its motion when it took seven seconds. And note that it doesn't have to be the club that causes the ball to move. Watch Scott stomping up to the ball and tell me you have no doubt that he had nothing to do with it moving:

Note: This thread is 4288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!