IGNORED

Anyone Here Play Disc Golf?

iacas

• Administrator

I know it's not real golf, not even close, though it's "kinda" similar and borrows some terminology like the names of the different discs (per their function), but whatever...

I played nine holes with my family in Kiawah Island and had a blast. The idea of "holing out" from a great distance with a good throw is pretty exciting and it costs almost nothing to play. I've bought three starter sets of discs for my wife and kid and I, but the nearest course ($3 for all day play) is only nine holes and is 30 minutes away. Maybe I'll see about getting a new course installed closer. In fact, a golf course that was cut down to 4 holes because of an airport runway expansion might be a great place to have a disc golf course...

Anyway, anyone else here play?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I'll take that as a no.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 8 months later...

Hey Iacas, I'm relatively new to the golf/sandtrap scene, but I'm no stranger to disc golf. I've been playing disc golf for 4-5 years and recently started playing ball golf within the last year or so. I just wanted to comment that one of my favorite courses was an old golf course converted into a disc golf course.  I have yet to play a round of golf that I did not enjoy playing. Sure I've played plenty less than stellar rounds of golf, but the fact of the matter is, a bad day on the course is never really a bad day. One thing that attracted me to the game of golf is the scenery, especially in the North GA mountain courses I frequent. I know your posts on here are a little dated, but if you ever need to find a course no matter where you are check out dgcoursereview.com, very friendly people and tons of information.

• Administrator

Thanks Hoppo, I'm on there quite a bit at times (this winter was big - less so now that I am not stuck inside 24/7).

I'm jealous of anyone who lives in a place with lots of courses nearby. The nearest for me is a good 45 minutes away. I'm trying to have some added to the area though.

Yep, there is always a set of three discs in my trunk at all times. Its really a fun game to play. That and it has the name Golf in the title. I can't shy away from that :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Disc golf is a great game.  I'm new to ball golf and can probably throw a disc farther than I can drive a ball. I helped install a course at the local community college, then a couple months later nailed the first hole-in-one. :)

And if you're an equipment junky, there is no end of discs you can try out.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• Administrator
Originally Posted by krupa

And if you're an equipment junky, there is no end of discs you can try out.

Tell me about it.

I live in northern Wisconsin.  In fact, Highbridge Hills disc golf is within 10 miles of my house (google it).  That being said, I have never gone there.  After reading this, and talking to some that have played, I think I will have to give it a try.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

I live in northern Wisconsin.  In fact, Highbridge Hills disc golf is within 10 miles of my house (google it).  That being said, I have never gone there.  After reading this, and talking to some that have played, I think I will have to give it a try.

Have you gone?

I've never played.  Looks like it would be a good family activity too.   I know we have a few courses pretty convenient to me, but don't even know where to begin.

Can someone point me towards a good primer?  Or better yet, how about a synopsis in here?  Getting started, equipment, rules, etiquette, etc.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Here's a decent looking write-up:

http://ycmagazine.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view;=article&id;=70&Itemid;=81

Full Disclosure: I only scanned it but what I saw looked pretty good.

Perfect. Thanks. Any additional words of wisdom for someone looking to give it a try?

In David's bag....

If you get golf discs, don't get discouraged if you have trouble throwing them at first.  You don't throw them like a frisbee and any attempt to do so will not have good results.

I always have to fight the urge to throw as hard as I can (much like fighting my urge to swing a golf club as hard as I can).  In my opinion, straight is better than far. (But don't forget that all discs curve off as they slow down, so it's never 100% straight...)

Don't forget to have fun! It's a great sport.

Crap. That's all I need. Another hobby/sport that's harder than it looks! ;-)

In David's bag....

• Administrator

Crap. That's all I need. Another hobby/sport that's harder than it looks!

I will say that it's very easy to get pretty good fairly quickly. Improvement is VERY fast at first.

Here are a few good videos.

This course is almost 90 minutes from me:

Knob Hill is a bit farther south:

I'm not sure about the music in this one, but the scenery is pretty:

Some basic approach shot ideas:

This one's somewhat driving specific:

There are more, of course, and I'm not saying these are the best. It's a somewhat random sample.

The pros:

• It's cheap to free.

• Rounds take as little as 90 minutes.

• It's a good walk through nature and occasionally you stop and chuck something.

Thanks. Kid is at a church retreat, so I'm gonna try to drag wifey out this weekend! Am I romantic, or what?! :-D Can I find basic disks at Dicks or some such place?

In David's bag....

• Administrator
Thanks. Kid is at a church retreat, so I'm gonna try to drag wifey out this weekend! Am I romantic, or what?!

Can I find basic disks at Dicks or some such place?

These are pretty good for beginner sets:

http://www.amazon.com/Discraft-Beginner-Golf-Disc-Set/dp/B005TEXOEG

http://www.amazon.com/Discraft-Beginner-Disc-Golf-3-Pack/dp/B003H7YUQS

http://www.amazon.com/Innova-Disc-Golf-Set-3-Disc/dp/B000Q838XW

BTW, if you go to Dick's or something, yes, they have stuff, but you'll probably buy the wrong stuff. :) They sell a lot of drivers… and I recommend you avoid "drivers" at first. Buy a putter, buy a mid-range. Those are good discs to use to learn, and they fly plenty far.

I play some rounds with just a putter. They aren't as sharp-edged as drivers, so they demonstrate form flaws. You can still throw them pretty darn far, too.

• 1 year later...

I did a Vlog of my first ever disc golf round today.  I really have no idea what I am doing.  My backhanded approach throws were okay after the first hole.  I was teeing off with forehand throws.  It puts less pressure on a bad right shoulder for me.  I had one good throw on the 3rd where it curved left and then back to the right towards the hole.  Other than that I just hooked the shit out of my fairway driver.  Any tips for throwing a better forehand off the tee?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black