IGNORED

Anyone Here Play Disc Golf?

iacas

When I was in college I played a lot of frisbee with the Colorado state champion.  I have played disc golf several times but I use my trusty frisbee, not official "clubs".  Have shot even par against some who have the whole disc golf set.  Ticked them off.

On 2/7/2019 at 7:51 AM, BamaWade said:

Imagine if we started putting our cell numbers on our golf balls.  Ha.

Now that's a great idea!  Thinking of stamping my cell # on my ProV1s.  Wonder if I'll get any calls???  (that should also solve the problem of marking my balls for identification)

I started disc golf about two years ago, and actually enjoyed it. I was terrible then (still am, but have improved). The course nearest our house is 22 holes, and costs nothing to play, which is nice. That’s where we (me, my brother and my dad) go when we play 90% of the time. I also played at a youth camp, which had a nice 9-hole course (see my post on that). I don’t play often, but enjoy it very much when I do. I can actually throw it a decent ways (~120-150 feet), when I throw it where I want 😂.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

Fun sport, played actively for 2-3 years and quite fast got "hang" of it. Worked alot on technique and could throw the disc relatively far. I think the components are pretty much the same as in ball golf and believe someone who is good at ball golf/understand the mechanics could get pretty good at it fast. Personally never could get the balance issues fixed to get the distances/force delivery to elite level, the rear leg balance is usually the biggest problem as for most the rear leg is the "weak/numb" leg.

We have this full 18 hole course nearby that has lights on it, sadly quite wet during winter:

Surely gonna play again in future, just now ball golf is closer to heart/more fun. 🙂

• Like 1

I played yesterday.   The course is a recovery from an old gravel pit and there is plenty of penalty areas.   We had a couple of new people and spent time fishing their discs out of the water.   It sure beat sitting home watching TV.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 1 month later...

Definitely will be creeping this forum for a while, as I'm looking to pickup the game of disc golf. Cheap, outdoors, and social distance complying. 🤣🤣 I wonder how many people will pick this game up during the pandemic.

I live in Rochester, New York and we actually seem to have a few nice courses around here, including Basil which is a very tight course 2-3 minutes from my home.

Edited by K_Monty24

I played again yesterday with our Meet-up group.   This is an activity that allows us to be socially distant, especially since I am giving up at least 30 years and 100 ft / toss.   The newer course in Flint is a conversion of a former golf course.   This disc course has as least 3 holes almost 500 ft that are par 3!    One hole is 666 ft.   I think the distance was intentional!  ;-)  The course traverses the Flint River twice, once about 145 ft and another about 158 ft.   I'm not competitive with the younger guys but we have fun.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 3 months later...
On 5/9/2020 at 3:59 PM, K_Monty24 said:

Definitely will be creeping this forum for a while, as I'm looking to pickup the game of disc golf. Cheap, outdoors, and social distance complying. 🤣🤣 I wonder how many people will pick this game up during the pandemic.

I live in Rochester, New York and we actually seem to have a few nice courses around here, including Basil which is a very tight course 2-3 minutes from my home.

Funny that you're wondering how many people are going to pick up the sport these days. Well, there's actually record numbers of people taking up the sport this year. Disc manufacturers can't keep up with the demand, and memberships in the PDGA have exploded. Disc golf is taking off like a rocket with no let up in sight. CBS Sports is even covering the disc golf Pro Tour this year. 

I've been a crazy avid disc golf fan for all of a year and a half now, and play about 2 tournaments a month. If I had to choose between disc and ball golf, I would choose ball. But I have invested enough money and time into disc golf that I now have another sport to go out and play that gives me lots of exercise since there are generally no riding carts involved, and some courses are located in parks where you have to hike up hills and trails to get to your next shot/hole.

I find it more frustrating to play because of my competitive nature than ball golf, but I've been playing ball golf for 30 years and have a grip on my emotions and swing thoughts that I'm still trying to sort out on the disc golf course. Love the sport, and a lot of people are going to love it for its accessibility, price, and family friendliness.

- Disc Golfer

• Administrator

Please let’s not call it “ball golf.” It’s golf. It’s hundreds of years old. Disc golf is the one that gets the modifier.

And my PDGA number starts with 55.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/29/2020 at 11:22 PM, iacas said:

Please let’s not call it “ball golf.” It’s golf. It’s hundreds of years old. Disc golf is the one that gets the modifier.

And my PDGA number starts with 55.

I actually agree about calling golf, well, golf. It deserves the respect to be called just golf. Didn't know anyone else would care. But today I finally shot under par at Etowah which is a magnificent disc golf course in Georgia. After only playing for a year and a half, I finally broke par on a "real" course. I'm not even an 800 rated player yet, and my round was about 930. It's rounds like that, that keep you coming back. Feels so good. 

• Like 1

- Disc Golfer

• 1 month later...

Aloha Gang,

I have yet to play the game but am open to it, and as I play golf I see the cages around the course but the public course on Lana’i Hawaii there is a frisbee game. If you come over, please feel free letting me know. 
Aloha,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

• 2 months later...

New here but wanted to say I love DG!  Picked it up a few years ago and now I play somewhat regularly.  Helps that I have a lot of courses nearby including one excellent course 10 minutes away.  I love this course as its two faced - the front 9 is heavily wooded and the back 9 is wide open long shots.  Can easily work on two different areas of my game.  Definitely cheaper than ball golf even with my ever growing disc selection!  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ASD Dad said:

Definitely cheaper than ball golf even with my ever growing disc selection!  

😁☺️😄  It's not "ball golf".   It's golf.  It was here first.  Just like it's not the British Open.  It's the Open.  They were there first.  I play disc golf, but with a single old Whamo frisbee.

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

😁☺️😄  It's not "ball golf".   It's golf.  It was here first.  Just like it's not the British Open.  It's the Open.  They were there first.  I play disc golf, but with a single old Whamo frisbee.

Sorry, all my DG friends call it either ball golf or disc golf.  90% of them are strictly DG players.  Even the ones that do play both will say they are going "ball golfing this weekend"!  

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It's the Open

And only recently did they try to re-brand themselves as “The Open.” So, bad example.

But I’m with you on the “ball golf” bullshit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Got notification of this thread, which reminded me of something crazy that happened couple weeks ago. We went to play nearby 18 hole course with a friend and after the round decided to re-throw first hole with 2 discs. I asked him to film one of my throws so I could watch it afterwards and cry myself to sleep while watching all the problems with my sequence.

First hole is 90 meters over water and quite guarded of right hand hyzer with trees, still attack it with hyzer over the trees pretty much always and try to stick it close. Well the disc ended up going straight in and it barely got into video with me sounding probably the same as on saturday night in bedroom.

That wasn't the crazy part. I took another fairway driver with same line right after the first and it went in aswell! We didn't even think about filming it because that shouldn't happen, ever.

That's something I'll probably remember the rest of my life and I could bet a lot of money it's not gonna happen to me again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tepi90 said:

Got notification of this thread, which reminded me of something crazy that happened couple weeks ago. We went to play nearby 18 hole course with a friend and after the round decided to re-throw first hole with 2 discs. I asked him to film one of my throws so I could watch it afterwards and cry myself to sleep while watching all the problems with my sequence.

First hole is 90 meters over water and quite guarded of right hand hyzer with trees, still attack it with hyzer over the trees pretty much always and try to stick it close. Well the disc ended up going straight in and it barely got into video with me sounding probably the same as on saturday night in bedroom.

That wasn't the crazy part. I took another fairway driver with same line right after the first and it went in aswell! We didn't even think about filming it because that shouldn't happen, ever.

That's something I'll probably remember the rest of my life and I could bet a lot of money it's not gonna happen to me again.

All you've got Saturday night in the bedroom is a tiny "Ooh"?

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

All you've got Saturday night in the bedroom is a tiny "Ooh"?  You need a new girlfriend.

22 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

All you've got Saturday night in the bedroom is a tiny "Ooh"?

Haha, knew someone is gonna catch on it. 😄 We are lucky the tape ended there.

• 5 months later...

One of the craziest shots in disc golf history. He needed to make this shot on 18 to force a playoff. This is the biggest tournament of the year and the winner comes away being crowned world champion.

Edited by cipher
  • Like 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black