IGNORED

Golfer Attacked for Slow Play

madcityscott
Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you think he picked for a club? The "hammer"?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Timothy Voyles

Not proud of it, but there's been times when someone has hit into my group, turn around and hit their ball right back at them. If I am stuck behind a group, the you're stuck behind me... enjoy the extra time outside or get off the course!

I do the same thing.  or I stomp the ball deeeeeeeeep into the ground, never to be found again.

• Upvote 1

4.5 hours is far too long to play golf .  this is JMHO.  of course if the course is backed up then its not your fault, but if youre a 4some and theres nobody in front of you and you take 4.5 hours then youre too slow.

Colin P.

Last Saturday the group in front of us was new to the course. They were playing the back tees. The back tees make the course very very difficult (73.9/139) -- in particular the par threes become monsters.

Three of the four players did not hit a tee shot over 100 yards on the first three holes. On that third hole, all three were again wandering the tall grass about half way to the green looking for three balls. As we approached the third green, the elder member of our group (a 73 year old mild-mannered guy) approached the group and asked if they were indeed going to play those back tees. They said yes. He suggested that those tees are really for "excellent golfers" and they they "might find the round more enjoyable if they moved up at least one set of tees." They told him they were in fact excellent golfer and would play whatever tees they wished.

I thought then, and think now, that even confronting them was a potentially bad idea since there are crazy people everywhere. By the 13th tee, the ranger asked us to make sure they saw us waiting since he had asked them to speed up play and suggested they consider moving up to more appropriate tees. They told him that they were not being pushed (irrelevant and untrue) and that they "paid there money and would play whatever tees they wished." The ranger is not 73 years old and perhaps they felt more comfortable being confrontational with a younger man. The ranger, being wise for his years, did not escalate the issue. And dispute their peacock gestures about "we'll do whatever we please," they did speed up noticeably and no one got hit in the head with a club.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by Timothy Voyles

Not proud of it, but there's been times when someone has hit into my group, turn around and hit their ball right back at them. If I am stuck behind a group, the you're stuck behind me... enjoy the extra time outside or get off the course!

Originally Posted by MajorSlice

I do the same thing.  or I stomp the ball deeeeeeeeep into the ground, never to be found again.

When I was a teenager (many, many, many years ago) I hit into the group in front of me once.  It was a short par 4 and I was nervous that the guys coming off the green behind us were going to get mad at me for waiting, so I went ahead and hit and rolled it up onto the green.  It either stopped right next to a guy or hit his foot, but regardless, he was so pissed that he picked my ball up, showed it to me, and then threw it out into the street.  I think he was at least a little embarrassed at having done that because I walked along the trees between our hole and the next to go apologize (and pray I wasn't going to get socked) but he walked along the other side and never even looked our way.

It happened another time to my friend who rolled his second shot up onto a par 5 while guys were putting out.  He was a good golfer, but a tiny little guy, and it was the furthest we had ever seen him hit one.  This guy picked it up and threw it out onto the train tracks next to the course, and then came back and screamed at us.  We apologized profusely, but he was having none of it.

And because I know we were not malicious in either of those scenarios, just made bad decisions, I give people the benefit of the doubt if they hit into me or my group.  If it were to happen a second or third time, then all bets are off.

*Nowadays, with GPS, Lasers, and better course markings, it would also be a lot harder to make the same mistakes we made.

I accidently hit into the group in front of me on Sun on a long par 5. Hit one of those once a season great shots with a 3w that actually went further than my drive. They were truly out of my normal range. I rolled up and apologized. They said they didn't even see it. Which I didn't doubt because they spent lots of time getting it to the green on that hole. They were super slow and I never lost my cool. But it was driving me nuts. I couldn't even finish 9 holes because they took so long it ate up all my free time. Sucked because I was playing as good as I have all season.

I think slow play is a real issue. But I'm not talking about 4.5 hr rounds. I've seen people with 5-6 hr rounds on an easy 6100y 67.8/116. I started a thread just after July 4th that I think people thought was a joke. I went out early that day and as I was leaving I noticed a rowdy group of older men in the pro shop. Turned out I had time to kill that afternoon and I went back to play again, after I had done some grocery shopping and farting around. I played the front 9 and caught up the rowdy old guys on #11. By the time I left they had been out there more than 4.5 hrs to get through 12 holes. I didn't bother to go around them because I had to get home before the festivities but I was shocked. This course doesn't have anything to do at the turn, the beer and bags of nuts in the "clubhouse" are the same thing offered on the cart so they were really out there that long.

Dave :-)

To be clear about my previous post, I've only hit it back at guys when we were blatantly in range or it was a multiple offense with no apology for previous shots into us. I walked nine at my home course in under an hour by the way, I'm not slow guy holding things up for sure.

I never understood getting pissed because a group in front is playing slow. If I am on the golf course, I could give a crap how long I am out there. Let's me enjoy it that much longer.

• Upvote 1

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

RBZ Clone 54* Apollo Black Steel Reg Flex

Custom Bionik 504 set for crossgrip

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

Z Star XV or  TP Black LDP to show off

Originally Posted by jmorg19

I never understood getting pissed because a group in front is playing slow. If I am on the golf course, I could give a crap how long I am out there. Let's me enjoy it that much longer.

But there is more to it than that. I'm in no rush to leave either. But when the group behind me is waiting on me I feel rushed. In an attempt to be considerate of them I push myself. Last time I played it got so backed up there were 3 groups waiting on the #6 tee and the slow group became so slow they lost sight of the group ahead of them. It has a way of disrupting the flow of all the groups behind them. There's no way 4 groups can play through even if the pace is resumed. Once it's jammed up people are waiting around.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by jmorg19

I wouldn't mind spending 6 hours at a golf course if I had no other obligations, commitments, interests, or anything else going on in my life.

That's never the case though. Which means the group in front is shortening my ability to do those other things when they play unnecessarily slow. It's selfish, rude, and inconsiderate. For some reason, people who are selfish, rude, inconsiderate in a way that affects me tend to piss me off.

• Upvote 1

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I wouldn't mind spending 6 hours at a golf course if I had no other obligations, commitments, interests, or anything else going on in my life.

That's never the case though. Which means the group in front is shortening my ability to do those other things when they play unnecessarily slow. It's selfish, rude, and inconsiderate. For some reason, people who are selfish, rude, inconsiderate in a way that affects me tend to piss me off.

Amen to that!! Not everyone has 4.5 hrs to play 18 holes.

I dont like slow play either but I dont let it ruin my round. And it's not rude unless the group ahead wont let you play through. Golf is my time to hang out with buddies (we all play ready golf) and hopefully make a good shot or two. The last round we played was a 5 plus hour round. The course was backed up as our tee time was 10am on a Saturday.  To those that are SO concerned with time, get out to the course early and get one of the earlier if not earliest tee time. Problem Solved.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by Rocket Man

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Amen to that!! Not everyone has 4.5 hrs to play 18 holes.

Right, and if I don't have 4.5-5 hours available I don't play, or if I do play I go in knowing that I may not be able to finish. That doesn't ruin my round or anything, but it is a shame that golf is not a 3.5 hour game simply because most golfers are playing slower than they could/should be.

Bill

Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!