IGNORED

Golfer Attacked for Slow Play

madcityscott
Note: This thread is 4261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by AngieS

They schedule the tee times much too closely, don't you think? At the course I play, I think it's 8 minutes between. I don't think that's super crazy, except when I do run into trouble and people aren't patient enough to wait at the tee. Seems like they always want to be just a shot behind you and I think that's just rude.

Many can't afford not to. I've had them put me out as a single between times  several times this year. I don't like it but I don't want to drive home. I'd gladly wait around for a the next 3 or 2some coming up but they say go so I do.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Many can't afford not to. I've had them put me out as a single between times  several times this year. I don't like it but I don't want to drive home. I'd gladly wait around for a the next 3 or 2some coming up but they say go so I do.

my course tells me to just show up if i want to play as a single and they send me out between groups or pair me up if it's more convinient.

i'm a pretty fast player, but i always offer to play behind a group of guys who are serious (although it's rare).

i played behind a group a little while ago because they were talking about scratch to sub 5 handicaps on the teebox (i had the time behind them, but there were only 3 so i could have joined) and i decided to let them go ahead. i watched their tee shots and second shots for 5 holes and then went up and asked them to join. i didn't add any time to their round and my ball was a lot easier to find than theirs most of the time.

sometimes i would like to challenge a professed scratch to a round using my handicap because some of the guys i've seen have a different understanding of the word.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

The other day I was alone and behind three foursomes, and nobody behind me...by hole 5 I started to get frustrated so rather than get mad  I'd hit then walk the woods/rough/trees on my way to my ball....I found 34 decent golf balls and had a blast.....and my kid loved it because I stocked his bag up again when I got home!

Originally Posted by Mobey

The other day I was alone and behind three foursomes, and nobody behind me...by hole 5 I started to get frustrated so rather than get mad  I'd hit then walk the woods/rough/trees on my way to my ball....I found 34 decent golf balls and had a blast.....and my kid loved it because I stocked his bag up again when I got home!

There ya go...when life hands you lemons, make lemon chicken with garlic and capers with grilled asparagus on the side!

dak4n6

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I'm not asking anyone to rush, just don't wast time. If everyone did that, rounds would not be 5 hours, they'd be closer to 3.5 (as they are in Great Britain for example, where golfers have more respect for the game and for fellow golfers than they do here in the US), and .....

That is very interesting.  I haven't played in Britain in about 40 years and have no idea if it's true.  Do you have a source for your value of about 3.5 hr?  If it is indeed the case it would be important to understand why the pace is so much faster there - of course there are many possible reasons.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

eQuote:

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I'm not asking anyone to rush, just don't wast time. If everyone did that, rounds would not be 5 hours, they'd be closer to 3.5 (as they are in Great Britain for example, where golfers have more respect for the game and for fellow golfers than they do here in the US), and .....

That is very interesting.  I haven't played in Britain in about 40 years and have no idea if it's true.  Do you have a source for your value of about 3.5 hr?  If it is indeed the case it would be important to understand why the pace is so much faster there - of course there are many possible reasons.

First, note that I didn't say they take exactly 3:30, rather that they are closer to 3:30 than they are to 5. That said, Ive never played there myself but have read about and heard of numerous accounts of the fast pace of play there.  Note that, as someone else in this thread pointed out, the R&A; (equivalent of USGA) has a guideline of "no more than 3 hours 50 minutes" for a foursome. You can read more on their pace of play guidelines here: http://www.randa.org/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Pace-of-Play.aspx

(I find it very amusing that one of the first things you see on that page is, "Few golfers are heard to complain about play being too quick!"... Yet you can find plenty of such complaints in this thread, mostly in responses to me suggesting the norm here in the US should/could be quicker.)

Edited to add: As far as reasons why they might be faster there, it could be as simple as that's just they way they've always played. And part of it may be attributed to their obsession with good manners.

Bill

If you did it deliberately no insurance will pay out and you could finish up in court if you hurt someone. And golf balls hurt! Not a smart thing to do.

On slow play , you only have to go to a pro tournament to see where a lot of it comes from. There probably  are a few things in golf more annoying than watching a guy in the fourball ahead taking 6 practice swings on every shot, but not many.

This is completely insane. Golf is a serene game where you are supposed to forget about everything and enjoy yourself and relax. Some people can't leave their insanity at home apparently.

I quit a country club because the locals kept bitching about slow play in my group. 3 weekends in a row they complained and 3 times in a row we played in 3:40-3:50. Tell me how that is slow? I hate slow play. TRUE slow play. But to complain about 3:40 round is quite nuts. Almost got them a club over their head ;)

But, one of the reasons many are quitting golf is SLOW PLAY. The PGA is going to address the issue and going to try to speed up play......somehow.

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

If some a-hole like this directed foul language towards my wife, I would kick the ever living crap out of him. I hope he loses his job over this.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

I play in Britain  and I would guess  the time is nearer 4 hours for a fourball. Most club  play here [other than club competitions] is matchplay where you can be given a short putt or pick up if your partner  has the hole or you are both out of it. There are times of the week where longer rounds prevail and many clubs, .like everywhere , are very busy on Sunday mornings where heavy traffic puts the times up.

Although we generally do not use carts here anywhere near as much as in the US, most people walk and yet it doesn't seem to take that long. Competitions , strokeplay or stableford  which is very popular are often in three balls because it gets them around quicker.

I only play vacation golf in the US and enjoy it but I cannot get my American partners to play matchplay, they card every round. I find it easier to add up my scores in the clubhouse after a few beers, it works wonders for my confidence!

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!