IGNORED

How to deal with slow play ?(I might quit)

broombroom
Note: This thread is 4145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok lately slow play and bad etiquette has been making me angry and depressed at my once great golf club to the point I may not pay to be a member any more.  People are so ignorant and arrogant, they never ring bells to let you know its safe to hit on blind shots even though they see us on the tee box.  The worst thing is I can never practice by myself or play golf with my friend as a two ball.  We/I always get stuck behind a 4 ball of old guys that never let us through.  They hack and hack and time waste so much its unbelievable.  Once I got so mad I shouted fore to get a group that skipped in front of us out of the way to let us hit and of course we get up and it is the pro playing in the four ball saying it was rude etc etc and he would have let us through, yea right, the time was when we were on the tee box with you!. I am just so sick of this and do not know what to do? Today I was stuck behind a 4 ball of old hacking men, with no one in front of them, for the 4th, 5th, 6,th par 3, 7th and 8th when I eventually walked off because they never let me through. What is there to do about this?

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Did you ask to play through or were you waiting for an invitation?

No because by the time I hit my shots onto the green and putted out they have hit their drives and are walking up the fairway

Might just consider skipping a hole then.  You're assuming they know you want to play through and are expecting them to sit at the tee box and wait for you to putt out.  I'm not sure that's reasonable.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're an 11 and this is just getting to you? This has been talked to death, but let's face it, golf is a slow game. Even 'fast' rounds - 2.5-3 hours - seem slow to me. It's made even slower by casual golfers who hit the links to have a good time with their buddies. Not to say that there aren't some serious golfers who aren't slow....there are. Singles and twosomes are always going to face the issue you're having. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's a problem that's not going away. I don't know of a better solution than to try to go out as a foursome, though I know that's not what you want to hear. Getting angry/frustrated makes the game not worth playing, right?

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Might just consider skipping a hole then.  You're assuming they know you want to play through and are expecting them to sit at the tee box and wait for you to putt out.  I'm not sure that's reasonable.

I'm always going to assume a twosome pushing my foursome on every shot would welcome the option to play through. The next time I'm wrong will be the first.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Yep I agree. If you were a foursome, and the group ahead of you was way behind with open holes ahead of them. Then I could see your complaints.

But a twosome pushing a foursome, come on man, either slow down or ask them to play through.

News alert foursomes are slower than singles & twosomes.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Motley01

Yep I agree. If you were a foursome, and the group ahead of you was way behind with open holes ahead of them. Then I could see your complaints.

But a twosome pushing a foursome, come on man, either slow down or ask them to play through.

News alert foursomes are slower than twosomes.

Does a twosome have to actually ask to play through a foursome with open holes in front of them now? I thought it was common courtesy, but apparently I'm mistaken.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You're not mistaken if OP is playing at a country club but if he was playing at a public / muni course it might be wrong to assume that the 4-some (hackers) in front of him knew proper golf etiquette.  I don't see anything wrong with asking if the group in front doesn't make the offer.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Does a twosome have to actually ask to play through a foursome with open holes in front of them now? I thought it was common courtesy, but apparently I'm mistaken.

Joe Paradiso

The thing is I dont care about how slow people are playing as long as they are being considerate and following the rules and even just being gentlemen like the game is suppose to be. This is about time wasting and bad etiquette.  You don't get close enough to talk to them unless you shout.  They know I want to play through because I am standing on the tee box or fairway watching them and they see me doing it.All they have to do is hit their tee shots and I hit up with them and take over how hard can it be.

I've never experienced that kind of thing at a private club. Considering most of the members have crossed paths at some point if you catch a group getting by them isn't a problem. Not to mention it isn't as simple as saying I quit. When I wanted out of my private membership I had to sell it. Took a beating too, ended up selling for nothing more than transfer fee. Lots of guys do the public course membership thing, discounted rates and preferred times being the draw.

Dave :-)

At the club I used to belong to, they printed rules and ettiquette on the scorecards.  One of the rules was "a single or 2-some has no right to play through a 4-some".   I always that that was a stupid rule - but sometimes I would get stuck behind a foursome that wouldn't wave me through . .so I just played extra balls.  What can you do?

I moved and no longer belong to that club . .but my general rule of thumb is to either play at off-times when I know the traffic will be light or get 3 other guys to come with me.  One secret I discovered is to play like 20-30 minutes before twilight rate kicks in.

The only reason why I am saying I might quit is because its not worth the money paying for it and its taking away the enjoyment.  It would be cheaper just to pay when I come up if I do.  Any time I play im surrounded by pigs that don't ring bells, fix divots, pitch marks, talk, or let you through when they are clearly holding you up with open holes in front of them i.e. 4 ball infront of me.  I often just walk off because it gets that bad

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

At the club I used to belong to, they printed rules and ettiquette on the scorecards.  One of the rules was "a single or 2-some has no right to play through a 4-some".   I always that that was a stupid rule - but sometimes I would get stuck behind a foursome that wouldn't wave me through . .so I just played extra balls.  What can you do?

I moved and no longer belong to that club . .but my general rule of thumb is to either play at off-times when I know the traffic will be light or get 3 other guys to come with me.  One secret I discovered is to play like 20-30 minutes before twilight rate kicks in.

This is what I have been trying to do but when its a bit busier the group in front holds up everyone so playing 3 balls will hold up people behind me.  Eventually you cant win

Originally Posted by broombroom

The only reason why I am saying I might quit is because its not worth the money paying for it and its taking away the enjoyment.  It would be cheaper just to pay when I come up if I do.  Any time I play im surrounded by pigs that don't ring bells, fix divots, pitch marks, talk, or let you through when they are clearly holding you up with open holes in front of them i.e. 4 ball infront of me.  I often just walk off because it gets that bad

Pigs? Sounds like the problem may be with you.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by broombroom

Ok lately slow play and bad etiquette has been making me angry and depressed at my once great golf club to the point I may not pay to be a member any more.  People are so ignorant and arrogant, they never ring bells to let you know its safe to hit on blind shots even though they see us on the tee box.  The worst thing is I can never practice by myself or play golf with my friend as a two ball.  We/I always get stuck behind a 4 ball of old guys that never let us through.  They hack and hack and time waste so much its unbelievable.  Once I got so mad I shouted fore to get a group that skipped in front of us out of the way to let us hit and of course we get up and it is the pro playing in the four ball saying it was rude etc etc and he would have let us through, yea right, the time was when we were on the tee box with you!. I am just so sick of this and do not know what to do? Today I was stuck behind a 4 ball of old hacking men, with no one in front of them, for the 4th, 5th, 6,th par 3, 7th and 8th when I eventually walked off because they never let me through. What is there to do about this?

Honestly, based on the highlighted statements above and the comment about being surrounded by pigs, it's obvious you are not enjoying yourself.  I think the best thing YOU can do is, take a break from the game for a few days.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Been there done that. When arrogance and ego's ...hitting from the back tees ...don't match with ability, it gets frustrating for the players behind.It sounds like the best thing to do would be to front the commitee and tell them why you are tossing in your membership and explore your options at other clubs .If they hear this enough they might do something about it.Giving the game away because of a few snails is a bit extreme.

Note: This thread is 4145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!