IGNORED

Do You Tee Off While the Group Ahead of You Is Putting Out?

DirtCheap
Note: This thread is 1621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you're on a hole that offeres no chance of driving a green, do you go ahead and tee off before the group ahead of you has holed out?

Say a 320+ yard hole?

We've always done it in an effort to keep the pace of play clipping along, but I have never considered if we should.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

As long as they are out of your range, I say go for it. I've never had anyone say anything about it. But if you can hit 270, make sure they are at least 40 past that.

Sure.  Just make sure that they are past your "best ever" drive and there shouldn't be a problem.  If there's no one behind you, though, giving them the time to get off of the green might be preferred.  I like the feeling of having the hole, or the course, to myself or my group, even if it's just a feeling.

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

So you're the dude slowing down my rounds

FWIW, today in the British Open one of the guys drove the green on 16 while the group in front was still on the green.

There were no angry confrontations, cussing, or fights.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by DirtCheap

If you're on a hole that offeres no chance of driving a green, do you go ahead and tee off before the group ahead of you has holed out?

Say a 320+ yard hole?

We've always done it in an effort to keep the pace of play clipping along, but I have never considered if we should.

Are you asking if on a short par 4 you tee off when the group ahead is putting out?

Of course you do.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

If you cannot hit the group in front, yes, there's no reason not to.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by DirtCheap

Say a 320+ yard hole?

If I was hitting something that could possibly reach, then I'd wait. If I was concerned about pace of play, which I typically am, then I'd take less club and tee off accordingly.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Take the farthest shot you've ever hit with that club and add 20 yards. If they are farther than that you're good to go. If not, just wait.

If I was hitting something that could possibly reach, then I'd wait. If I was concerned about pace of play, which I typically am, then I'd take less club and tee off accordingly.

Really? We have some par 4's that, at one time or another, we've all reached, but the ball was rolling along pretty slowly by the time it got there. I'd never pull 7w or whatever in the interest of pace of play. By the same token, if a guy rolls one up on a 320 yard par 4 and I'm standing on the green, I'm going to say, "Nice shot" and watch to see if he makes eagle if I can see him from the next tee box.... ....as long as it doesn't hold up play, of course

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Sure, I do it all the time. Not that many 320 yard holes on my course, but there are a couple and I always tee off when others are on the green. I stand a 0.01% chance of getting anywhere near the green.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

Really? We have some par 4's that, at one time or another, we've all reached, but the ball was rolling along pretty slowly by the time it got there.

I'd never pull 7w or whatever in the interest of pace of play. By the same token, if a guy rolls one up on a 320 yard par 4 and I'm standing on the green, I'm going to say, "Nice shot" and watch to see if he makes eagle if I can see him from the next tee box....

....as long as it doesn't hold up play, of course

Yes as long as you know the absolute best you could do is roll up on them then go ahead, anyone that would get bent out of shape over that needs a different hobby, flying it into the group is a whole different situation, its all about peoples safety and why not splurge on a laser rangefinder just so you know exactly how far you are so there is no doubt.

On every par 4, I hit as soon as the group gets out of the range of the club I'm hitting +10-20 more yards.  Waiting any longer is just an uneccessary delay.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Really? We have some par 4's that, at one time or another, we've all reached, but the ball was rolling along pretty slowly by the time it got there.

I'd never pull 7w or whatever in the interest of pace of play. By the same token, if a guy rolls one up on a 320 yard par 4 and I'm standing on the green, I'm going to say, "Nice shot" and watch to see if he makes eagle if I can see him from the next tee box....

....as long as it doesn't hold up play, of course

exactly. A few times around between me and my friends will say "If you hit it all the way to them, they cant even be mad" and like somebody else said. Even if you do hit the elusive 300 yard drive its probably carrying 270 or so and just rolling up if the distance was questionable if you could reach it or not. I NEVER want the group in front of me or the pace of play to dictate what club I am using. My game isn't good enough as it is. I dont need to make the course longer for myself too.

Side note: deja vu. typing while on the sand trap and watching zac johnson tee off.(Im re watching the open) I guess watching golf while talking about golf isnt that rare for me though.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Yes as long as you know the absolute best you could do is roll up on them then go ahead, anyone that would get bent out of shape over that needs a different hobby, flying it into the group is a whole different situation, its all about peoples safety and why not splurge on a laser rangefinder just so you know exactly how far you are so there is no doubt.

I agree 100%. Still, sometimes I'll look back at a guy standing at about 275 on a par 5 waiting on us and I'll think, 'Go for it, big boy.' That's usually followed by us watching his second roll to about 50-100 yards out as we're pulling away. Our 'incoming' rule is this: If you [b]fly[/b] one into us once, we'll chalk it up to a mistake. If it happens twice, there's going to be a discussion.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

I agree 100%. Still, sometimes I'll look back at a guy standing at about 275 on a par 5 waiting on us and I'll think, 'Go for it, big boy.' That's usually followed by us watching his second roll to about 50-100 yards out as we're pulling away.

Our 'incoming' rule is this: If you fly one into us once, we'll chalk it up to a mistake. If it happens twice, there's going to be a discussion.

Naw once is one time too many IMO, not saying there needs to be a confrontation but I don't want to leave the chance of a second ball flying into us, golf balls have the potential to kill if they hit a person just right and why would anyone take the chance of ruining their own life let alone someone elses. I do believe a golfer can be found criminaly negligent if they hit and killed someone on the course if that person was in the direct line they were intending to hit their ball even if they thought there was no way they were going to hit it that far. I say the roll up on them in the absolute rarest occasions and when you absolutely know there is zero chance of carrying a shot that far.

Last time I did that I rolled a fade 320+ yards on a smooth fairway over a lake and nearly bumped one of the guy's shoes.  I caught up to apologize and turns out I knew them!  Joined them for the rest of the afternoon.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!