IGNORED

2012 Ryder Cup Standings

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Without factoring in the 4 captains picks, that top 10 has a nice variety of players and the pairings would be awesome. I'd go: Woods-Johnson, Dufner-Bradley, Mickelson-Kuchar, Watson-Simpson. Each pairing would really drive the other to play better. After that, I would probably pick Furyk, Mahan, Stricker and Fowler.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

The eight qualifiers for Team USA are locked in. The 2012 United States Ryder Cup team, as of right now, consists of...

Tiger Woods (1st in standings; 7th appearance)

Bubba Watson (2nd; 2nd appearance)

Jason Dufner (3rd; 1st appearance)

Keegan Bradley (4th; 1st appearance)

Webb Simpson (5th; 1st appearance)

Zach Johnson (6th; 3rd appearance)

Matt Kuchar (7th; 2nd appearance)

Phil Mickelson (8th; 9th appearance)

Team USA captain Davis Love III now has three weeks to deliberate over who will receive his four wild-card selections, which will be announced on September 4, after the conclusion of the Deutsche Bank Championship.

I think Stricker and Furyk will get picked by DL3 for sure.  They both bring needed experience, and have been playing well enough to earn the selection.

The other two picks... I think will be Fowler and Mahan for the simple fact that they will gel well with the other 1st time appearance guys like Watson.  Plus he'll want to keep Tiger happy with playing partners like Stricker and possibly Mahan since they practice together a lot (under Foley).

Oops... Edit.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I think Stricker and Furyk will get picked by DL3 for sure.  They both bring needed experience, and have been playing well enough to earn the selection.

The other two picks... I think will be Fowler and Mahan for the simple fact that they will gel well with the other 1st time appearance guys like Watson.  Plus he'll want to keep Tiger happy with playing partners like Stricker and possibly Mahan since they practice together a lot (under Foley).

Oops... Edit.

Goodness I hope they aren't picked. Furyk and Stricker haven't done much of anything lately and the only experience they bring is losing Ryder Cups.

Heck, I was hoping Phil would get bumped out of the top 8 by BVP or someone so that he could possibly be left off the team or, if he was chosen, maybe one of the other old guys wouldn't make it.

It's high time the youngsters get involved.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Goodness I hope they aren't picked. Furyk and Stricker haven't done much of anything lately and the only experience they bring is losing Ryder Cups.

Heck, I was hoping Phil would get bumped out of the top 8 by BVP or someone so that he could possibly be left off the team or, if he was chosen, maybe one of the other old guys wouldn't make it.

Mahan and Fowler are obvious selections. I think Love can pick either Stricker or Furyk, but not both; my preference would be Stricker, since he and Tiger make a great pair in doubles play. Right now, I'd have Dustin Johnson as the twelfth man, but if Brandt Snedeker or Bo Van Pelt can win in the next three weeks, either of those two could take that last spot.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Mahan and Fowler are obvious selections. I think Love can pick either Stricker or Furyk, but not both; my preference would be Stricker, since he and Tiger make a great pair in doubles play. Right now, I'd have Dustin Johnson as the twelfth man, but if Brandt Snedeker or Bo Van Pelt can win in the next three weeks, either of those two could take that last spot.

I know Stricker and Tiger work great together, but Furyk and Tiger are pretty good friends as well. Furyk gets along with most players and has quite the head down, focused competitive side that I dont see in Stricker. Also, I feel Furyk has a slightly more well rounded ability at this point. Stricker is a great putter, but the guy cannot hit a fairway. I'd take both of them plus Mahan and Fowler, but opt to have BVP or DJ in for Stricker.

I am hoping that Davis picks Kevin Na & clearly JMO will pick Sergio.....creating an epic battle of the twitches in the Na vs. Garcia singles match; they would have to send that match out last otherwise the rounds could take 7 hours and TV coverage would include 4+ hours of commercials.

OK - I expect Davis to make his captains picks at Furyk, Stricker, Mahan & DJ (subject to performance/injury in the next few weeks)

Players play, tough players win!

I hope you're kidding about Na.  Pick anyone--even Tommy Gainey--over Na.  He's a basket case.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I generally like Mahan, but his early season good form has evaporated.  He has 2 missed cuts and only 1 top ten finish (T8 at the AT&T;) since April.  No way he should get picked, IMO.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

So we agree on Mahan and Fowler.  And I say Stricker is a sure bet - because like you said - he and Tiger are tight.  And have had success playing together... So DL3 will pick Stricker.

That leaves Furyk, DJ, Sneds and BVP.  Of those four, I'd say Furyk has had a lot better season.  He nearly won the US Open (choked on 16).  And also nearly won at Firestone (choked on 18).  In match play - I'd rather have Furyk than DJ.  DJ just seems like he isn't playing well this year.  He hasn't really done anything all year. Sneds and BVP have had some nice tournaments.  But I'd say Sneds is playing better than DJ or BVP... At least when Sneds is hot - he is awfully hard to beat.

The problem with Sneds is that he isn't always on.  Whereas Furyk is more steady day to day IMO.  Thus why I'd pick him over the others.

Also, I noticed BVP misses a lot of putts/shots when coming down the stretch in tournament play on Sunday.  Moreso than Furyk... At least in tournaments where he was in a featured pairing... He pretty much shat down his leg.

Does anyone else find it a bit boring that Tiger and Stricker are always teamed up?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

Does anyone else find it a bit boring that Tiger and Stricker are always teamed up?

Yeah, it is really boring to have complementary players teamed together who are able to win.     That repeated pairing of Ballesteros and Olazabal was really boring too....all 15 times.

Originally Posted by iacas

I agree.. I may have a selective memory, but it always seems it's that vets that can't hold their own.. I like what Ricky did in 2010 and I too would like to see more fresh young blood that WANTS to be there, then this entitlement "old" veteran approach..  If I was Capt..without looking at their recent performance, I'd pick Ricky, Hunter, Dustin and Bo..

So, the European charge to form is on - Rory & Sergio winning and errr.....

The last week of qualifying for the European Team  is going to be a bit of a snooze, basically Colsaerts has to win or come 2nd to knock Kaymer out - who isn't playing. Peter Hanson has withdrawn which lowers the OWGR points to the point where David Lynn and Rafa C-B cant qualify automatically.

There isn't much debate about the wildcards either - Poulter is a certainty, if he doesn't make it automatically Colsaerts should be an automatic pick - good form plus super matchplay record.

If he does qualify it leaves Olly the choice of Harrington, Kaymer or one of the Spaniards - Rafa C-B, Jimenez, Quiros or Gonzo - none of whom fills me with joy at this stage.

Any one see it differently?

European team as it stands according to Reuters

European Ryder Cup points standings on Monday: European points list:

1. Rory McIlroy (Northern Ireland) 4050288.10 points

2. Justin Rose (England) 2602910.21

3. Graeme McDowell (Northern Ireland) 2375790.52

4. Paul Lawrie (Scotland) 2088718.02

5. Francesco Molinari (Italy) 2062525.67

6. Peter Hanson (Sweden) 2022431.76

7. Luke Donald (England) 1885170.56

8. Martin Kaymer (Germany) 1871797.49

9. Nicolas Colsaerts (Belgium) 1735223.95

10. Lee Westwood (England) 1692029.78

World points list:

1. McIlroy 468.81 points

2. Donald 363.46

3. Rose 322.33

4. Westwood 280.27

5. McDowell 262.62

6. Sergio Garcia (Spain) 200.85

7. Hanson 189.32

8. F. Molinari 186.07

9. Lawrie 181.49

10. Kaymer 172.26

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Going to be fun to see how the Americans match up this year. I'm interested in seeing if Tiger and Phil on US side and Kaymer on Euro can find their swings when it's game time.

One shot at a time.

The U.S. team seems to have so much more pop and just depth throughout. Especially if Phil can play to his ability or even halfway there. Too many question marks and gaps on the Euro team. But I guess at the end of the day its all about how you perform than just the names on the paper. I think the Captain's picks will be extremely beneficial for Europe. Poulter and Sergio playing nicely right now would be huge additions on that team. Euro's top 3 are pretty stellar though.

Originally Posted by mvmac

European team as it stands according to Reuters

European Ryder Cup points standings on Monday: European points list:

1. Rory McIlroy (Northern Ireland) 4050288.10 points

2. Justin Rose (England) 2602910.21

3. Graeme McDowell (Northern Ireland) 2375790.52

4. Paul Lawrie (Scotland) 2088718.02

5. Francesco Molinari (Italy) 2062525.67

6. Peter Hanson (Sweden) 2022431.76

7. Luke Donald (England) 1885170.56

8. Martin Kaymer (Germany) 1871797.49

9. Nicolas Colsaerts (Belgium) 1735223.95

10. Lee Westwood (England) 1692029.78

World points list:

1. McIlroy 468.81 points

2. Donald 363.46

3. Rose 322.33

4. Westwood 280.27

5. McDowell 262.62

6. Sergio Garcia (Spain) 200.85

7. Hanson 189.32

8. F. Molinari 186.07

9. Lawrie 181.49

10. Kaymer 172.26

Top 5 from the Euro list, then the next 5 not already qualified off the World points list. Garcia is locked in from the World Points list. Colsaerts is out at the moment.

Only 3 major champs on the team and one of those is Paul Lawrie - just imagine the embarassment of losing to a team with that few majors between them. It may need DL3 to go all Hal Sutton on us though - which I can't see.

The European roster is all but wrapped up with one week to go. Ian Poulter could leapfrog Martin Kaymer into the last automatic slot with a good week at the Barclays, and so could Nicolas Colsaerts at Gleneagles, there won't be enough World Ranking points at stake this weekend for anyone else to play their way onto the team. Furthermore, it is doubtful that a European golfer can make a compelling argument that he should be included on the team in place of one of those three aforementioned players.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!