IGNORED

Experimenting with the "Baseball" Grip

Note: This thread is 3252 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey nobackswing....I employ the ten finger grip in the same way as described by another poster ...all fingers are on the club BUT the backhand (left if your a rightie) thumb is under the lifeline of the righthand and both thumbs form the classic "V" pointing at your right shoulder....I've used it for a few rounds now and love it as it allows me to more easily cock my right wrist and release with my dominant right hand ....better contact, more distance and much straighter shots ...almost lost my fade!

AND better feel around the greens with wedges ...dont think I'll be changing back anytime soon!

I now use the ten finger for all clubs except putter...

I only use the interlock for putting...I find that the interlock with the lead index finger running down the putter shaft locks my wrists and keeps the clubface square thru impact...and putting is the strongest part of my game...so I'm not gonna change it.

Just to throw out a couple of items/clarifying points...

The 10 finger grip basically is the same as the interlock or overlap with the exception of where you put the pinky of the lower hand.  If the pinky of the right hand (for righties) is on the grip instead of overlapping or interlocking the left index, you are employing a basic 10 finger grip.  It is the least common grip amongst the professional levels, but there are many examples of people using it effectively at the highest levels.  One current player using a 10 finger is Scott Piercy on the PGA tour.  He is a recent winner and you can find info on him and watch his swing on YouTube if you so desire.  Jhonny Vegas also uses it sometimes (per vid and pics I have seen) but sometimes it looks like he is using an overlap also so I wouldn't call him an all-in 10 finger guy.  Art Wall (has the most hole-in-ones in history) also used the 10 finger, along with Bob Rosburg and Dave Barr.  There are others as well.

A true baseball grip has the thumbs wrapped around the shaft, at least on the top hand.  A recent example of this is Tommy Two Gloves Gainey - look at vid and pics and you'll see what I mean.  As a righty, he has his left thumb wrapped around baseball style.  This is a throwback to his baseball playing days, as he has stated in interviews.

Interlock is popular on tour - Tiger and Jack used it of course, but it has also seen somewhat of a renaissance on tour.  You can also find it employed by some of the young guns like Rory McIllroy, Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson, and Nick Watney.  Pretty sure Paul Casey also uses it.  Those are just some I know of off the top of my head.

Overlap is the most popular of the 3 grips used at the pro ranks.  Many examples like Phil, Steve Stricker, Ernie Els, Adam Scott, etc.

I think its incredibly short sighted to say any of them are better or worse than others.  Everybody's swing and body is different - its probably best to experiment then commit to what works best.  Do that which gets the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes.  Last I checked score cards do not contain a notes section where you indicate which hold you used for the round.  That being said, research is good because there are considerations to be made regarding complementary steps you can take to match with which hold you use.  I would agree with a previous poster that indicated that often times 10 finger gripper benefit from using slightly larger grips than what they might otherwise to compliment the added hand action they might get - this is a generalization though and might not work for everyone.

But that is what is fun about golf - you can spend a lifetime tinkering with all the possibilities out there.  No other game is like this, as far as I can tell.

Sorry for the novel, hope this helps someone.

• 3 months later...

The 10 finger grip changed my golf life. I never considered using it because I read and heard that it was for children, women or any body who lacks strength or has small hands. I'm a left-handed but swing from the right , 6' 200 lb former college football player with 10" hands. By using the other two conventional grips I was giving my dominant hand which happens to be my lead hand, even more dominance. So it makes perfect sense that I've always been told my back swing was way too fast and my down swing was way too violent and I couldn't for the life of me slow it down, it just wasn't happening. So after 2.5 years of golfing I switched to the 10 finger grip and I just couldn't believe how much my swing changed. My body turn, wrist hinge and downswing felt so automatic it wasn't funny. I achieved the most crisp contact with what seemed effortless power. I use this grip from Driver to chipping and I haven't looked back since.

• 3 months later...
Just to throw out a couple of items/clarifying points... The 10 finger grip basically is the same as the interlock or overlap with the exception of where you put the pinky of the lower hand.  If the pinky of the right hand (for righties) is on the grip instead of overlapping or interlocking the left index, you are employing a basic 10 finger grip.  It is the least common grip amongst the professional levels, but there are many examples of people using it effectively at the highest levels.  One current player using a 10 finger is Scott Piercy on the PGA tour.  He is a recent winner and you can find info on him and watch his swing on YouTube if you so desire.  Jhonny Vegas also uses it sometimes (per vid and pics I have seen) but sometimes it looks like he is using an overlap also so I wouldn't call him an all-in 10 finger guy.  Art Wall (has the most hole-in-ones in history) also used the 10 finger, along with Bob Rosburg and Dave Barr.  There are others as well. A true baseball grip has the thumbs wrapped around the shaft, at least on the top hand.  A recent example of this is Tommy Two Gloves Gainey - look at vid and pics and you'll see what I mean.  As a righty, he has his left thumb wrapped around baseball style.  This is a throwback to his baseball playing days, as he has stated in interviews. Interlock is popular on tour - Tiger and Jack used it of course, but it has also seen somewhat of a renaissance on tour.  You can also find it employed by some of the young guns like Rory McIllroy, Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson, and Nick Watney.  Pretty sure Paul Casey also uses it.  Those are just some I know of off the top of my head. Overlap is the most popular of the 3 grips used at the pro ranks.  Many examples like Phil, Steve Stricker, Ernie Els, Adam Scott, etc. I think its incredibly short sighted to say any of them are better or worse than others.  Everybody's swing and body is different - its probably best to experiment then commit to what works best.  Do that which gets the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes.  Last I checked score cards do not contain a notes section where you indicate which hold you used for the round.  That being said, research is good because there are considerations to be made regarding complementary steps you can take to match with which hold you use.  I would agree with a previous poster that indicated that often times 10 finger gripper benefit from using slightly larger grips than what they might otherwise to compliment the added hand action they might get - this is a generalization though and might not work for everyone. But that is what is fun about golf - you can spend a lifetime tinkering with all the possibilities out there.  No other game is like this, as far as I can tell. Sorry for the novel, hope this helps someone.

Well said. I know I can get around the course as a single digit handicap, but I have recently become frustrated with my inability to hit a draw. I stumbled upon this thread after seeing a clip from the recent matchplay event where they mentioned Scott Piercy's 10 finger grip. I am seriously considered the switch from my current interlocking grip.

• 3 weeks later...

I origanally used the overlap grip and stuck with it until the game got too expensive for me as I was in the military. When I picked up the game again several years ago I tried the interlocking grip and played airly well with it. Unfortunately I've developed arthistis in the first joint of my index and little finger on my left hand and the thumb and little finger on my right hand. When the pain became worse than I wanted to handle I went with the baseball/ten finger grip. I've found that it's much easier to adjust my hands with this type of grip but I look a little funny with the index finger and little finger sticking out. My left thumb is placed on the shaft like the overlap/interlock grip.

• 1 month later...

What a great thread.  I started playing golf last May seriously.  I play about 3 rounds per week as weather permits (I live in Ohio where we really only have a 8 month-ish season.

From last May to September, I used a 10 finger grip.  My thumbs point point down the shaft.  I started to establish my handicap 4 months in and settled in at a 16.  I played baseball at a high level through high school, college and 6 years after college.  My friends told me I picked the game up quick.

Then, wanting to start breaking 80 and shoot in the 70's, I bought lessons to fine tune my game.  I listened and did everything my pro told me to do to the best of my ability. The first thing he told me was to change my grip to the overlapping or interlocking (whichever I felt most comfortable with) because he said that I would never shoot in the 70's with my current 10 finger grip so I changed.  I finished the season last December with a 19.8 handicap.  I wasn't very happy that my handi went up with lessons.  I figured it took time.  So I practiced when I could during the winter months.  I played 6 rounds of golf this year.  My handi went up to almost 21.  Shooting high 90's and once over 100.

I finally said SCREW THIS INTERLOCKING!!!!! After my drives were flaring right right right right and when I did hit it straight I was losing 50 yards.  I was only hitting 230-ish down from 280-ish.

I have played 3 rounds this week. 84-87-86.  Pars and sometimes a birdie are now back in my vocabulary.

Needless to say I am back on track and smackin it 280+ again and my irons are better.  Yes, I get too much right hand on some shots and have developed a draw on my drives that sometimes is a hook, but now, 85% of the time, Im hitting the fairway or missing slightly  left.

Moral of the story,  I think we've all heard it. Do what feels comfortable for you.  I know I am going to keep the 10 finger and fire my pro.  I dont care if its for women or juniors.

• Like 1

Driver:  Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5* Stiff

3 Hybrid:  Taylor Made RBZ 19* Regular

4 Hybrid:  Golden Bear 4H Stiff

Irons:  4-G Titleist AP1 710 Nippon 105T Stiff

Wedges:  Cleveland CG16 52* & 56*

Putter:  PING Anser

There's always the next shot.

I am in the same boat as the OP. No matter what I try, I can't never hit 7 iron longer than 130 yards with interlock grip, but can easily hit the ball well over 130 yards with 7 iron. For some reason I have difficult time holding the grip steadily with interlock grip, especially at the top of the swing. With 10 finger grip, I can hold the grip steadily which seems to impact the down swing & impact.

I've been playing with interlock grip for about a year with no real improvement. I am thinking about switching to 10 finger grip after reading this thread. Glad I found this thread.

Glad you've found this thread so helpful, malelee21  and others.

It appears that the ten finger grip is considerably more popular and successful than one might assume- especially if one were foolish enough to ask a PGA Teaching "Pro".  LOL

I too get considerably more distance and simply make better contact with the ball.....and, well , isn't that the point?!

Fairways and greens.

Stogiesnbogies

(OP)

One more thing to add...   reason why interlock may not provide the power you need may be due to your interlock grip being wrong.

Here is a great video about why 10 finger grip or overlap may be better than interlock. I just found out that my right hand grip was wrong when using interlock grip. With 10 finger or overlap grips, I can hinge my wrist much easier.

• Upvote 1

I'm still back on track after my switch back to 10 finger at the beginning of last week. 88-91 today. I think it's safe to say I shaved off 10 strokes per round since I switched.

Driver:  Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5* Stiff

3 Hybrid:  Taylor Made RBZ 19* Regular

4 Hybrid:  Golden Bear 4H Stiff

Irons:  4-G Titleist AP1 710 Nippon 105T Stiff

Wedges:  Cleveland CG16 52* & 56*

Putter:  PING Anser

There's always the next shot.

Its funny I stumbled upon this thread at lunch today and thought it was interesting . I have always used the 10 finger grip and if I would golf 2 days in a row my pinky on my right hand would get sore around my 2nd knuckle. I played yesterday and wanted to hit a few shots in the yard and tried the interlocking grip and I liked it. I hit about 25-40 wedges with it and i hit em about the same distance and I like how it felt like both my hands were working together. Im going to take a trip to the range and try all my clubs and see how it works its I dont know why I never tried it b4 but Im going to give it a shot.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
I was an interlock player since I started over 12 years ago. 16 handicap end of last year and went up to a 20.5 this year, due to my driver being all over the place and inconsistent iron play. I searched how to hit the driver straight and Moe Norman came up, started reading about how he was known for hitting some of the straightest shots in golf, and his baseball grip. Intrigued I headed right for the range tried it out and 90% of my shots were straighter than any before. Had to try it out on the course, first time out I shot a 90, 91, and my all time record low 80. My handicap has dropped to 18, and I believe it will keep dropping. The good... I love the control much better than interlock grip, and it just feels more natural. I can feel the club head much better. Driver is very straight and wedges are deadly accurate, irons in general are more consistent and straighter. Distance is better esp when I draw the ball which happens more now with the new grip. The bad, any tension in hands can make for a terrible shot but no worse than interlock IMO. Must always keep right hand pushed up against the left if not hands can separate and try and fight for control. Highest round so far w/ bb grip 95, lowest rd 80. I can live with it and as far as all the bs about women,small hands, jnrs,etc... That's the general public going with the numbers. I agree that most pros don't use it but how many of us are pros, bottom line I've had the most fun with this grip because I've played my best golf with it and that's what we're all striving for, isn't it? Good luck and try it out!
  • Upvote 1

I totally agree with what you say, golfjunky......I too hit the ball straighter and longer with baseball grip ( top thumb folded under bottom thumb pad) and yes the game sure is more fun this way!

Cant control club as well with "traditional ten finger baseball style grip like that used by Tommy "Two Gloves " Gainey though (he has both thumbs wrapped aroung the grip just like holding a baseball bat)....I tend to hook ball too much that way.....but the "modified ten finger baseball grip works great!

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

I totally agree with what you say, golfjunky......I too hit the ball straighter and longer with baseball grip ( top thumb folded under bottom thumb pad) and yes the game sure is more fun this way!

Cant control club as well with "traditional ten finger baseball style grip like that used by Tommy "Two Gloves " Gainey though (he has both thumbs wrapped aroung the grip just like holding a baseball bat)....I tend to hook ball too much that way.....but the "modified ten finger baseball grip works great!

Between that and the Niblick, youre unstoppable!

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I guess I use a modified 10 finger grip as well not really a "baseball grip", which I've never tried that. I have all 8 fingers on the shaft the traditional way as Ben hogan teaches in 5 fundamentals of golf (left hand) ,but I keep both thumbs directly on top of the shaft or sometimes vary the right thumb just off to side wherever it ends up as I try and relax both hands and feel tension free.

Note: This thread is 3252 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!