IGNORED

What gets you motivated to exercise?

jshots
Note: This thread is 3765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seeing so many obese people here in the states!

What the f**k? Country that needs universal health care the most is the most aprehensive to accept it! And there used to be people saying how universal health care is a bad idea because it would encourage people to be unhealthy... thing that cat's long out the bag!

Quote:
What the f**k? Country that needs universal health care the most is the most aprehensive to accept it! And there used to be people saying how universal health care is a bad idea because it would encourage people to be unhealthy... thing that cat's long out the bag!

There is no correlation between Universal health care and eating healthy. Its based on society, though even now USA way of eating is slowly spreading through out the world. Japan is getting heavier for example. What helps Europe is that they walk more, they eat fresh foods daily. We in the US are more about convenience. Thats the problem.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

There is no correlation between Universal health care and eating healthy. Its based on society, though even now USA way of eating is slowly spreading through out the world. Japan is getting heavier for example. What helps Europe is that they walk more, they eat fresh foods daily. We in the US are more about convenience. Thats the problem.

Huh.. my comment was kinda tongue in cheek, but your point is definitely well taken. Makes sense...

Do you have any friends that lift weight? Me and a buddy i've mine joined a gym about a year ago and all the motivation I needed was trying to outlift him.  Now I go religiously.  After a month or two of going to the gym it really becomes a habit.  I go by myself quite often now, sometimes for more than two hours.  My advice would be to get a gym membership with a friend if possible.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

Accountability group: My wife, her sister and I work out together five days a week. We pick up my sister-in-law and go to the gym. We do a weight routine together three days a week and do our own cardio the other two. Agree on a start time and because we are committed to share a ride, there is no backing out when the alarm rings. When my sister-in-law is out of town, it is much harder to get out of bed because no one is counting on our ride.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I want to be healthy. History of heart disease in my family. I lift or run 6-7 days a week. Plus I have a job that requires me to be outside and moving not sitting behind a desk. My advice is get a workout partner and workout first thing I. The morning. The longer you wait in the day the less likely you are to exercise. Just my $.02. Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Yeah, definitely cut the booze, don't drink a whole lot at once and don't drink large (4+ servings) amounts more than 2-3 times a month. And I love beer, but I enjoy it in moderation.

Drinks, alcoholic or otherwise, are a huge part of your diet. Drinking 2 cans of soda, or like 1/3 of a fast food cup is like a damn cheeseburger a day. Soda and other sugary drinks will kill you since they don't fill you up and have no nutrition. Plus they're so easy to grab instead of milk, fruit juice, unsweetened tea or water. Diet drinks are just as bad. Stick to a cup of coffee as your only sugary drink per day most of the time, and you're fine.

My buddy had the opposite problem as you; he had healthy snacks like granola bars and trail mix at college, a meal plan with decent food, and played intramural sports. He comes home in the summer each year, and gains 15 pounds in like 3 weeks. His parents are Filipino, and they have a bit of an unhealthy culture food wise. Lots of carbs, lots of red meat, not a whole lot of veggies, and seldom skip dessert. Plus as the firstborn son he's nourished thoroughly. He's stocky in build, so unless he works like a horse to burn it off, carbs stick to him like glue. So the white rice isn't doing him much good, nor the fatty red meat every meal.

Learn to cook fajitas or burritos. Cut some veggies like peppers and onions and pan fry them with a cover and a little oil, saute some chicken breasts in a couple tsp of oil, and add some rice and maybe beans, cheese, sour cream or plain yogurt, toss them in a tortilla with the gnarliest hot sauce you can handle. If you can master this simple recipe, which is pretty cheap and doesn't require a lot of ingredients, you'll be better off. Plus there should be leftovers, leaving you with a convenient and filling food later. The most unhealthy thing in the recipe is probably the cheese which isn't bad at all, and it has a lot of protein and nutrients but low fat. 15 minutes, easy. Imagine what you can make with a bit more work; really tasty salads, a roast chicken dinner with vegetables, pork tenderloins on the grill, fish, etc.

Protip: Cooking ability will not only make you have an easier time losing weight, it will get you laid. No joke, think of how many single guys can cook remotely well, even including grilling. Plus you'll be all buff with your good diet, and you can invite her over (while you cook dinner, it's essential that she see/smell the cooking and not just show up when it's ready) or even cook at her place. Chicks dig a talented man, it will put you in great position as a charming host, and a lot cheaper than taking her out to eat as well as allowing you to remain a few short steps from the bedroom.

How's that for motivation?

Just a nit pick on those burritos... The burrito shell is most likely your biggest foe, not necessarily the cheese. Burrito shells and wraps can be deceivingly large, as they are essentially a squooshed piece of bread. Some of the larger models that you find in delis and supermarkets can have upwards of 300 calories.

Yikes. Just make sure you're looking at those nutrition facts panels, and perhaps go for a whole wheat tortilla.

Still, I like most of what's in this post, especially ENCOURAGING YOU TO COOK! Cooking at home is indeed one of the most powerful tools for creating nutritious AND tasty food, while saving money to boot.

Sincerely

WalkTheCourse, RD :)

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

motivated by

1) not dying (cancer survivor with pacemaker)

2) better sex

3) better golf

Driver - RBZ 10.5 

3 Wood - Burner 2.0 - 15

Hybrids - Burner 2.0 3-18, 4-21, 5-24

Irons - Burner 2.0  5-P

Wedges - RAC 52 and 56

Putter -  Anser 2 

Ball -  NXT-Tour

always hated exercise.   Like to eat + wife is a great cook = overweight (about like Brendan DeJong).    Golf is the best thing that ever happened to me - playing 3-4x per week represents the most exercise I've ever gotten - finally found a physical activity that I love !     Walk 9 holes after work on a hilly course has done me a world of good - feel alot better.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

What i see in the mirror

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• 1 month later...

My First Sergeant telling me I better get it in gear at 0530 in the morning lol.

-Scott

Flight Stand Bag

RAZR Fit Driver

RAZR X HL Irons 4-PW, GW

Tech Series Glove

Black Series Tour Putter

NXT Tour Golf Balls

Originally Posted by Kapanda

Seeing so many obese people here in the states!

And what's sad is that up in Indiana where I grew up the school systems have cut Phys Ed and recess out of schools.  We used to get a full hour of PE and 3 recesses a day.  Now they don't get any PE gym time and only 1 recess at the end of the day.  They are also cutting most after school sports programs because they can't afford them.  A salad costs $6 and a cheeseburger cost $2...  No wonder our children and adults are getting fatter in America.

-Scott

Flight Stand Bag

RAZR Fit Driver

RAZR X HL Irons 4-PW, GW

Tech Series Glove

Black Series Tour Putter

NXT Tour Golf Balls

For me its just living a healthier lifestyle.  Being in shape and at a healthy weight makes so many things in life easier, gives you more energy, makes you feel more confident and happier.  In many ways, I would compare a person's body to a car.  You can go through life in a Ferrari or a Yugo.  Which one would you prefer?

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

To reassess this,

due to the passage of Crap care (aka obama care), i must keep myself healthy or face the dreaded socialized medicine, i have a bigger incentive now :/

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!