IGNORED

To Golfers Who Score in the 70s - What's Your Story?

gr8golf

LOL, like I said, I was within 3 feet of 4 more, so 11 of 14 isn't bad.  BEsides, didn't you get to play with @mchepp , he doesn't miss many fairways either.  We'll have to start lobbying the captains now to be sure we can play in the same group next time.  Or even better, come visit DC, we can make arrangements to play at my home club, and probably with @jsgolfer at his.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 HDCP here, id say 3 of every 4 round are in the 77-80 range with the occasional 75/76 and 81. my strengths in order are: putting/ scrambling/ driving/ wedges/ irons

1) Ive been playing all my life, my dad has been a scratch golfer for 40 years.

2) I grew up on a hilly mountain course, learned all kinds of lies, how to get the golf ball around the course, never learned on the range

3) I was an erratic driver until 2 years ago. You'll never break 80 consistently making short game mistakes. up and downs should be expected.

4) 3 putts are not an option. I might have 1x 3 putt per round. they are like soda's, empty shot that you don't see but count just as much

5) I take roughly 3-4 lessons a year. only way I've broken through plateaus are to fix, practice, and repeat.

6) I practice 2 times per week, play at least once. anytime I get to play 9 I will. My practice area has prov1's so I know my distances pretty well

7) you've got to make birdies. if you are trying to shoot in the 70 on average you should be making 2 birdies minimum per round. too hard to try and keep your score low with pars.

I like odd numbers so I'll stop there.

LOL, like I said, I was within 3 feet of 4 more, so 11 of 14 isn't bad.  BEsides, didn't you get to play with @mchepp, he doesn't miss many fairways either.  We'll have to start lobbying the captains now to be sure we can play in the same group next time.  Or even better, come visit DC, we can make arrangements to play at my home club, and probably with @jsgolfer at his.

Absolutely, anytime any TST'ers are in the No. VA area, drop me a line, you're always welcome to come play Springfield if I'm available.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Apparently 9/18 GIR isn't enough for me to shoot in the 70s, lol... I shot 85 yesterday with 9/18 GIR, the penalty shot didn't hurt me so much (salvaged a bogey), but two doubles and 2 3-putts did... Plus my scrambling stunk yesterday... 2 out of 9 scrambling...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

[QUOTE name="DaveP043" url="/t/60861/to-golfers-who-score-in-the-70s-whats-your-story/252#post_1203225"]   LOL, like I said, I was within 3 feet of 4 more, so 11 of 14 isn't bad.  BEsides, didn't you get to play with @mchepp , he doesn't miss many fairways either.  We'll have to start lobbying the captains now to be sure we can play in the same group next time.  Or even better, come visit DC, we can make arrangements to play at my home club, and probably with @jsgolfer at his. [/QUOTE] Absolutely, anytime any TST'ers are in the No. VA area, drop me a line, you're always welcome to come play Springfield if I'm available.

My parents live half an hour from the Springfield CC. So, watch out for me, I might take you up on that!;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My parents live half an hour from the Springfield CC. So, watch out for me, I might take you up on that!

Keep in touch when you're coming to the area.  My club is about 45 minutes drive from Springfield, and is completely different, as @jsgolfer can attest.  Playing both of them back-to-back would make an interesting combination.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

My parents live half an hour from the Springfield CC. So, watch out for me, I might take you up on that!

Definitely keep in touch.

Keep in touch when you're coming to the area.  My club is about 45 minutes drive from Springfield, and is completely different, as @jsgolfer can attest.  Playing both of them back-to-back would make an interesting combination.

Most definitely, you need to be a mountain goat to play Stoneleigh. :surrender:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Definitely keep in touch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP043

Keep in touch when you're coming to the area.  My club is about 45 minutes drive from Springfield, and is completely different, as @jsgolfer can attest.  Playing both of them back-to-back would make an interesting combination.

Most definitely, you need to be a mountain goat to play Stoneleigh.

Cool.

Jerry, my cousin lives in Alexandria. I might have to drop in on you as well. :-)

I have yet to play golf in VA. I just played a municipal course near where my parents live in Potomac.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Cool.

Jerry, my cousin lives in Alexandria. I might have to drop in on you as well.

I have yet to play golf in VA. I just played a municipal course near where my parents live in Potomac.

Cool.

Jerry, my cousin lives in Alexandria. I might have to drop in on you as well.

Not a problem, drop me a line. In fact I will be playing at Springfield this afternoon, leaving in about 45 muinutes. :-D

What course did you play, Falls Road?  You were surrounded by several awesome private courses in Potomac.

-Jerry

A lot of hard work getting consistent with the driver is about 70% of it the rest is a good short game. The the real key is a good mental attitude playing aggressively and fearless without beating yourself up about misses. It's mostly physical though it takes hard work to get consistent off the tee that's what 70 shooters do now what I'm working on is becoming a consistent 60's shooter that's about approach shots primarily. It's more of a science than anything % of fairway hit's good putting and some par saves will amount to a 70's shooter because you should make a birdie 6 pars and a bogie and maybe on the back 4 bogies the rest pars.

A lot of hard work getting consistent with the driver is about 70% of it the rest is a good short game. The the real key is a good mental attitude playing aggressively and fearless without beating yourself up about misses. It's mostly physical though it takes hard work to get consistent off the tee that's what 70 shooters do now what I'm working on is becoming a consistent 60's shooter that's about approach shots primarily. It's more of a science than anything % of fairway hit's good putting and some par saves will amount to a 70's shooter because you should make a birdie 6 pars and a bogie and maybe on the back 4 bogies the rest pars.

Majority of it is a good long game.

If you want to compare low amateur to a high handicap. A low handicap saves 4.3 strokes on putting, 15 strokes on long game, 6.5 strokes on short game and 1 stroke on sand shots.

http://www.columbia.edu/~mnb2/broadie/Assets/broadie_wscg_v_200804.pdf

Actually, Fairways Hit is highly overrated. Statistics has proven that. Check out the book Every Shot Counts and Lowest Score Wins. They will tell you that long game matters more than any other par when you differentiate between low handicap versus high handicap.

If you want to shoot in the 70's. Hit a lot of greens , don't take penalties, stay out of bunkers, get up and down half way decent and sink a few putts. Primarily hit a lot of greens.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 HDCP here, id say 3 of every 4 round are in the 77-80 range with the occasional 75/76 and 81. my strengths in order are: putting/ scrambling/ driving/ wedges/ irons

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat. My strength in order (best to least) are: irons, wedges, scrambling, driving, putting. My last round was strange: Front nine 5 FIR, 4 GIR for 39. Back nine 2 FIR, 3 GIR for 37. I only made one putt over 4 feet all day (an 8 footer). My putting sucks, but I haven't 3-putted in several rounds, which is a miracle in itself. A lot of my non GIR are from the fringe with a putter or a simple chip shot. All but one missed fairway was from first cut or short rough. I'm hooking my driver too much. It's hitting the fairway but rolling to the first cut or just beyond, so it's still very playable. Slope is only 123. I think the biggest thing is having a good up and down game and keeping the ball in play. Since almost every shot is miss, you have to make playable misses.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

If you want to compare low amateur to a high handicap. A low handicap saves 4.3 strokes on putting, 15 strokes on long game, 6.5 strokes on short game and 1 stroke on sand shots.

Actually, Fairways Hit is highly overrated. Statistics has proven that. Check out the book Every Shot Counts and Lowest Score Wins. They will tell you that long game matters more than any other par when you differentiate between low handicap versus high handicap.

If you want to shoot in the 70's. Hit a lot of greens, don't take penalties, stay out of bunkers, get up and down half way decent and sink a few putts. Primarily hit a lot of greens.

An 80's shooter has lot's of penalties hazards etc.. He said he it 9 out of 18 greens should be good enough to shoot a 78 maybe. You can't get up and down if you don't hit the fairway in fact you can't do anything if you don't hit the fairway the hole is essentially lost to par without getting lucky. Hit the fairway miss a green make a bogie then the next hole birdie followed a few bogies and do it again that's a 78. Of course putting and hitting greens matters but mid 80 guys usually spray it off the tee.

I average 80's, roughly 82, and maybe have a penalty once every four rounds if that. I also don't hit many fairways, sometimes intentionally. I scramble fairly well because I am always near greens and I make more pars than bogeys. It never comes down to birdies when I break 80. With rare exception it's about GIR and nGIR.

Dave :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

If you want to shoot in the 70's. Hit a lot of greens, don't take penalties, stay out of bunkers, get up and down half way decent and sink a few putts. Primarily hit a lot of greens.

An 80's shooter has lot's of penalties hazards etc.. He said he it 9 out of 18 greens should be good enough to shoot a 78 maybe. You can't get up and down if you don't hit the fairway in fact you can't do anything if you don't hit the fairway the hole is essentially lost to par without getting lucky. Hit the fairway miss a green make a bogie then the next hole birdie followed a few bogies and do it again that's a 78. Of course putting and hitting greens matters but mid 80 guys usually spray it off the tee.

I suppose this depends upon why they shoot mid-80s. I do happen to spray off the tee, but I get some really nice ones as well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
You can't get up and down if you don't hit the fairway in fact you can't do anything if you don't hit the fairway the hole is essentially lost to par without getting lucky.

Sorry, but that makes no sense at all.

Hitting the fairway is nowhere near that important.

I wrote a book you should check out… It was my avatar for awhile, but for now just go here and look (and buy?): http://lowestscorewins.com/.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You can't get up and down if you don't hit the fairway in fact you can't do anything if you don't hit the fairway the hole is essentially lost to par without getting lucky.

I rarely hit fairways (30% or so right now - equal misses on both sides - I'm working on it) and I have no trouble making pars often without "getting lucky."

I rarely hit fairways (30% or so right now - equal misses on both sides - I'm working on it) and I have no trouble making pars often without "getting lucky."

Yep. Depends on the course you play. If it's US Open rough, then par is tough. If there are a lot of those tall wooden things, it get tough. But not impossible. The toughest course I've played is the Doral Blue Monster from the tips with 5" Bermuda rough. If you miss the fairway, you hit a provisional. If you find the ball, it's a SW sideways. Par is gone. But most courses aren't like that.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs