gr8golf

To Golfers Who Score in the 70s - What's Your Story?

429 posts / 111761 viewsLast Reply

2 minutes ago, LMoore said:

Lowest score wins is on the "to read" list. What is ESC?

Every Shot Counts. Did you buy a copy of LSW off Amazon or something?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Already know my wife got it for me for Fathers Day. I know it is available through Amazon, so I imagine that's where she got it.

20 minutes ago, LMoore said:

Already know my wife got it for me for Fathers Day. I know it is available through Amazon, so I imagine that's where she got it.

Okay. Except I hope she got it from lowestscorewins.com. 😄

Let me know when you read it so I can get you the badge. Hopefully she's not cruel enough to make you wait until June.

Being married for 32 years, we've past trying to outdo each other for Mother and Father's Day. The book actually came up when we were corresponding prior to your trip to Augusta. The price is the same, just free shipping as an Amazon Prime member.

As for waiting, I usually read a book a week, Father's Day will probably net 3-4 books, but I'll read Lowest Score Wins first and contact you directly.

There are days when my ball striking is off but I putt well and I'm in the mid 70's.  Other days the opposite; ball striking is good but my putting is off... again, mid 70's.  When ball striking and putting is good I'm low 70's.

Of course there are the days where neither is good and I get a taste of the 80's.  Not my favorite taste...

2 hours ago, LMoore said:

The price is the same, just free shipping as an Amazon Prime member.

It’s $29.95 from us, shipping included. We are the only people printing them.

If someone on Amazon is selling it, it’s being re-sold.

Just FYI.

I’ll find out this evening if she indeed has ordered it. Easy to send back. Thanks 

I posted on this topic thread a couple weeks ago about my experiences, and long journey, to breaking 80 (with my lowest round at 73, thus far). However,  I thought about what other information, other than my experience getting to sub-80 rounds and what was key to that, would be helpful to the prospective reader of this thread who may be trying to get closer to 80 or break 80 for the first time.  

I think it's helpful to hear that the ability to break 80 doesn't mean that you are now precluded from having bad rounds. Yes,  a "bad" round for someone who cam break 80 is probably better than the majority of golfers' good rounds. But I think it's important to not get down on yourself after you break 80 and then find yourself with a score in the high 80s or even low 90s.

I'm a 6 handicap (or even closer to a 5) with my scoring range over the past two years of 73 to 88. My scoring average is probably around 81 for all my rounds the last two years, but that's different than my handicap (which, in simple terms  is the average of my better half of scores). If one looks top the PGA Tour, scores generally range from 63-77, with scoring averages around 70 or so (which is right in the middle of that range). I am stating all of this because I know I was often really upset after and during a bad round, thinking something like,  were my sub-80 rounds flukes, and/or did I lose my entire game and will I get it back? Yes,  when you break 80 for the first time, yes,  that's a great accomplishment.  But don't put tremendous pressure in yourself now that your did it.  Enjoy the success,  and just keep doing what you were doing top get you to your first sub-80 round (,i.e., practice,  practice,  practice).

In the last 3 years I have shot a low round of 68 and a high round of 94.  Out of 130 rounds during that 3 years I have had about 20 rounds in the 70's(1 in the 60's), 100 rounds in the 80's, and about 10 in the 90's.   

For me shooting in the 70's, is basically eliminating catastrophic mistakes, duffs, chunks, and 3 putts.  Generally speaking I cannot make it through an entire round without having at least one or two catastrophic mistakes which is why I tend to shoot in the 80's more then the 70's.  When I do shoot in the 90's it is because I have exploded a few holes, something is seriously off in my swing and mental thought process and the course is difficult.  If the course I am playing is not terribly difficult, I can almost always keep it under 90 no matter how poorly I am playing.  But, when playing on a challenging course I can really suck.  I am a 7.5 handicap also.  Hope that helps keep things in perspective.  

31 minutes ago, Nutsmacker said:

In the last 3 years I have shot a low round of 68 and a high round of 94.  Out of 130 rounds during that 3 years I have had about 20 rounds in the 70's(1 in the 60's), 100 rounds in the 80's, and about 10 in the 90's.   

For me shooting in the 70's, is basically eliminating catastrophic mistakes, duffs, chunks, and 3 putts.  Generally speaking I cannot make it through an entire round without having at least one or two catastrophic mistakes which is why I tend to shoot in the 80's more then the 70's.  When I do shoot in the 90's it is because I have exploded a few holes, something is seriously off in my swing and mental thought process and the course is difficult.  If the course I am playing is not terribly difficult, I can almost always keep it under 90 no matter how poorly I am playing.  But, when playing on a challenging course I can really suck.  I am a 7.5 handicap also.  Hope that helps keep things in perspective.  

that sounds exceedingly familiar

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

From Amazon:

Sold by Deal Trader and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Also didn't realize it came in a DVD series

Lowest Score Wins DVD

Don’t buy that. It’s not legal.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Don’t buy that. It’s not legal.

That's impressive, it looks like they managed to infringe upon two different copyrights at once!

I've played for about 12-13 years, I'm 25 now, and this has been the first year I have routinely shot in the 70s (over the past 15 rounds my average is 78.9, worst round being 82, best 75). This winter was the first time I've worked with a coach and been focusing on lowering my scores. I am now actually working on my game, not just showing up to play. I shot in the 80s for about 6-7 years as a hobby golfer in my teens/early twenties. 

My biggest takeaway has been this. If you want to get better, work with a coach. Started this year at a 7ish handicap, at 4.6 right now.

Just read through this whole thread, great topic and a lot of helpful advice. I have yet to shoot under 80 but its a goal of mine. 

I agree 100% with the points about the long game being more important. I only got a handicap this year for the first time its a 17 at the moment and the only way it will drop is if I start finding fairways and striking irons a lot better. My short game is fine, I very rarely putt more than 36 times a round and my play around the green is solid i think, but its my long game by a long way that needs the big improvement if I am to break 80.