IGNORED

My Swing (Jetfan1983)

JetFan1983

Golf Day #22

Do not attempt to adjust your playback speed. That's me swinging sloooowwww to try to hit the sequencing I want. Honestly, maybe I should practice like this more. Easier on the body too.

This is the PGA National range if anyone was wondering. I know I told Erik recently I can't hit off mats, but I only practiced driver and I only swung super slow*.

It was the Junior Honda Classic today so it was fun seeing all the best juniors in the state hit some balls. Crazy how good these kids are. 

Pretty excited though that I have a practice speed here where I can kind of swing how I'm envisioning. Certainly I'm not hitting all the spots I want, but this is way better than the crap I do when swinging even half speed let alone full speed. I'm going to make sure to incorporate this kind of "crawl before you can walk" kind of practice now.

*Some good news here. Turns out my elbow pain that flared up in September wasn't my old tennis elbow (which I successful rehabbed a while back) but actually the bone bruise I suffered back in May. For some reason it started hurting again after hitting off the sim at the PGA Superstore. It's calmed down now. Doc says these kinds of bone bruises take several months to go away, so I should avoid mats for the time being.

• Thumbs Up 3

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Appreciate all the thumbs up on my posts here, guys! Definitely encouraging!

Just a quick update here because I improved my driver posture a bit today. unnamed.jpg

This feels like I'm setting up for a wedge. Definitely an awful feeling but I can see how this is better than the straight standing up thing I was doing in the previous post. This is going to take some getting used to, but already I can see how setting up with my torso tilted more towards the ball is better for several things during the actual swing. 

Here's a slow DTL 8-iron from yesterday where I'm trying to just... swing better I guess you could say. 

Here's a 56 from today:

Swinging this slowly has been interesting. I worked out today too and have hit balls three days in a row, so that part of this is really positive. 

Here's a couple drivers. Lots to like relative to what I normally do at full speed. Interesting to see some things I still struggle with even going this slow too. 

The big achievement today was that I hit balls three days in a row and that I improved my posture with driver. I know I'm only swinging super slow, but I think this kind of a practice is an interesting upgrade on mirror work in a lot of ways. Still love mirror work though!

PS- I tucked my t-shirt in to make it easier to see my hip turn. Definitely not trying to look like Urkel here 😄

• Thumbs Up 2

Constantine

Swinging slow take a lot of patience for me. You’re doing it quite well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Swinging slow take a lot of patience for me. You’re doing it quite well.

Thanks, Scott! Hopefully as I increase speed, more and more of the good will carry over to the real thing over time. We'll see! 🤞

Constantine

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Thought I'd do a quick update. I've only practiced twice since my last post due to battling some golfer's elbow, but rehabbing that is going well. The massage gun works great against it, plus stretching, isometrics and eccentrics. Using my therabar, gripper and three and four pound weights mainly. The elbow feels a lot better already and it hasn't even been three weeks yet. Promising. 

I still do mirror work daily and I'm still hitting the gym, but I lowered the weight I do for my upper body stuff by like 30% to take some pressure off the tendon. But overall, staying as active as possible seems to be the ticket out of this problem.

I did get to the range the last couple days though, so I thought I should share some stuff from today's session. 

Hitting a gap wedge here. It sounds like I'm saying I'm going to raise the exit point. I think I did that to help keep the club from tipping out from 4 to 6. Regardless, I'm happy with this DTL vid. I'm speeding it up a bit more too here and the sequence is more or less still there. 

I decided it was time to try an-course full swing just to see how it's going. I'm pretty happy with everything here up to like A7.1. Then my usual post impact crappiness with my arms and shoulders showed up. That's unsurprising since that's always my on-course swing thought and I wasn't using that here. Still, it's promising how everything looks all the way up to impact. 

After that I just went back to my slowed down, developmental tempo swings where it's much easier for me to focus on pieces. Arms/Shoulders much better here post impact. 

A new piece I wanted to mention I'm working on adding, mostly in mirror work, is trying to get my trail leg to do something good in the downswing 😄. It's very "dead legged" I like to say, and I would prefer if it was a lot more like Tiger Woods/Justin Thomas. In mirror work I'll feel the weight coming out of the heel immediately when the downswing starts, I'll feel the knee flexing again, and I'll feel the right hip turning downward. All this of course is to facilitate my weight shift/overall turning stuff. I don't think about it at all while actually hitting balls, but it's nice to see a little bit of that is trickling into my slowed down swing with driver.

But yea, otherwise, I'm really happy with how I'm progressing. I do feel I'm improving. I still haven't forgotten all the great lessons I've had from the years 2010-2016, and it's a blast to finally get to apply the information I've gotten from Erik, Mike, James Hirshfield and Brian Creghan. 

Today was golf session #26 since my mid-June return.

Edited by JetFan1983
  • Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

• Administrator

Not too shabby.

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets