IGNORED

Wedges: Why do so many bag a 52*, 56*, 60*?

Note: This thread is 3327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

49* and 54*. Call me weird, but I don't see the need for 4 wedges

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

RBZ Clone 54* Apollo Black Steel Reg Flex

Custom Bionik 504 set for crossgrip

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

Z Star XV or  TP Black LDP to show off

46, 50, & 56. I can hit any shot I am reasonably capable of with these. I basically learned to hit a variety of shots with 2 wedges coming up so I typically hit the 50 from almost anywhere 100 and closer and the 56 in the sand or for flops from real nice lies.

Driver, G20
Fairway, G20 3W
Fairway, G20 5W
Hybrid, i20
Irons & Wedges, i20

Sand Wedge, Eye 2

Putter, Redwood Piper S

Originally Posted by jmorg19

49* and 54*. Call me weird, but I don't see the need for 4 wedges

You dont see the need for versatility and shot options in your short game?  To make a 54* work in a flop shot you have to open the face up so wide that theres a really small margin for error.  I honestly couldnt imagine not having a lob wedge in my bag...

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

You dont see the need for versatility and shot options in your short game?  To make a 54* work in a flop shot you have to open the face up so wide that theres a really small margin for error.  I honestly couldnt imagine not having a lob wedge in my bag...

I open the face way up and get it to flop. I don't use that shot too much, but when I do, it gets the job done. Plus the 54*, I can move the ball within my stance to change the angle enough to completely subtract a club from my bag.

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

RBZ Clone 54* Apollo Black Steel Reg Flex

Custom Bionik 504 set for crossgrip

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

Z Star XV or  TP Black LDP to show off

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

...  I honestly couldnt imagine not having a lob wedge in my bag...

Defining a lob wedge is interesting.

Tidbits:

• A Golf Digest survey from a few months back said that 58* was the highest lofted wedge in the bag of about half the tour pros.
  • Several teaching pros told me that 58* is easier to hit than 60* for many golfers.
  • A high-bounce 58* (12 or above) is often considered an SW, whereas a lower bounce 58* is considered a LW, especially if it has single-digit bounce.

I grew up in the 1970s hitting greenside cut shots with a SW, and I find it somewhat more reliable than an LW. I see many golfers, however - of all HDCP levels - who really make the LW work. Also, I tend to use an 8 iron for chip shots, whereas many LW users have figured out how to chip with it too. Whatever works...

Gaijin... If we played together on a scramble team, I think we'd pretty well have the short game covered!!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

56* is good for me around 70yards out..

but that 60* wedge is what does so much magic for me near the green.. i dont know what I would do without it.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

I can do whatever I need with a 56* max loft. I play 44* PW, 52*GW & 56*SW. Sometimes I play 50*GW & 56*SW.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I have a 46° PW, then a 54° and 60° wedges. The 54° is my sand wedge and I use it for full shots. The 60° is what I use for almost all chipping and for pitches under 40-50 yards. I get about 65 yards out of it on a full swing, a bit longer if I punch it.

I've played around with a couple of other setups. Used to have a 56° sand wedge (I think it's still in my signature at the moment) and had a 52° wedge as well. It was all right, but I don't really see any change in my scores. I like the 54° sand wedge a bit better because I'm more consistent on full swings and I can hit longer sand shots more reliably.

I don't really see the need for a ton of wedges. Maybe if I had the time and inclination to work out a whole bunch of distances, but it's rare that I really find myself wishing I had a club I don't have. If anything, I suppose a gap wedge might be occasionally useful, but somehow it doesn't come up all that often.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Well, I've decided I'm officially in the market for a 50*, 54*, 58* set....Now I just need to figure out which set to get and where to get them...Suggestions?

Driver: TaylorMade R7 Superquad 9.5* & Callaway Diablo Octane 10.5*

3 Metal: TaylorMade R11 15.5*

Irons: Ping G15 stiff, steel AWT shafts 4-PW

Hybrids: Adams #3 - 20* & #4 - 23*

Wedges: Callaway Forged X-Tour 52* & 58*

Putter: Odyssey 33" White Ice #1

Just purchased a 54.12 and 58.8 from CallawayPreOwned. Both wedges showed up in phenomenal condition (bought them "Like New"). I can't fully attest to their performance, but after 39 holes (yes, 39), they've definitely improved my short game. The 54 is enough of a difference from my PW and covers the range where the PW becomes far too much. I love the 58 around the green and is by far enough loft. I would recommend those but it really comes down to personal preference. It's a place to start, I guess.

Their warehouse sale ends tonight. I paid $132 for the two clubs. You can find several options that are ridiculously cheap. Check it out!

|   Callaway Diablo Octane Driver (9.5*, graphite, stiff)   |  

|   Callaway Diablo Octane Tour Fairway Wood (15*, graphite, stiff)   |

|   Cobra Baffler T-Rail Hybrid (19*, graphite, stiff)   |

|   Callaway Razr X HL 4-PW (steel, stiff)   |

|   Callaway X-Series Jaws Chrome Wedges (54.12, 58.8, steel, stiff) |

|   Vulcan Putter   |

|   Callaway Diablo HX Diablo, Bridgestone E6 Balls |

I play a PW ('E' since it's an Apex Plus -- apparently 46), then I have a 52 and a 58 (which I rarely, rarely use).

I try to play as many wedge shots as I can with the 52, and I spend about a quarter of my range time just hitting the 52 to different distances (and despite spending all that time on it, I still have no consistency).  I'll use the 58 from the sand or if I have very little green to work with (and if I can't just bounce the ball on the green with a 9, PW, or the 52).

I own a 54 and a 60, but I never put those in the bag.  I'm just focused on learning the 52 at the moment.

My Mizuno irons bent pretty strong so I choose to play a 49* GW instead of 3 wedges.  I don't have enough shots in my bag to need three more lofted wedges.  I've noticed a lot of mid to high handicappers bagging a 60* lately.  More often than not they try to play an unecessary flop shot and end up skulling the ball into the woods.

nike.gif  VR-S Covert 10.5*

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

vokey.gif SM 50*, 54*, 58*

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

Originally Posted by BrokeLoser

Well, I've decided I'm officially in the market for a 50*, 54*, 58* set....Now I just need to figure out which set to get and where to get them...Suggestions?

Vokeys.

Ebay.

nike.gif  VR-S Covert 10.5*

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

vokey.gif SM 50*, 54*, 58*

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

I really don't care what people call a wedge - I care about what a wedge does. For the highest lofted wedge, I go for a high stated bounce wedge with lots of relief - heel, toe, and trailing edges - because it is versatile, and that is typically a 58-60.

For a 54 to 56 - it typically has decent bounce - 12 or so - less relief, and as a result, may be slightly better out of the bunker. I use it for running chips around the green, and bump and run shots. For long bump and runs, a 49. But that shot is rarely used.

Another thing - people talk about more bounce - but they're talking stated bounce. Actual bounce may be less, or more depending on the width of the sole and relief. That's why it's good to demo.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by ClayHbg

My Mizuno irons bent pretty strong so I choose to play a 49* GW instead of 3 wedges.  I don't have enough shots in my bag to need three more lofted wedges.  I've noticed a lot of mid to high handicappers bagging a 60* lately.  More often than not they try to play an unecessary flop shot and end up skulling the ball into the woods.

Haha..that's to funny...the 60* hype / gimmick...most would be better off leaving it at home so they aren't tempted to hit it and ruin their score...much like a driver.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 Superquad 9.5* & Callaway Diablo Octane 10.5*

3 Metal: TaylorMade R11 15.5*

Irons: Ping G15 stiff, steel AWT shafts 4-PW

Hybrids: Adams #3 - 20* & #4 - 23*

Wedges: Callaway Forged X-Tour 52* & 58*

Putter: Odyssey 33" White Ice #1

Note: This thread is 3327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!