IGNORED

Wedges: Why do so many bag a 52*, 56*, 60*?

Note: This thread is 3333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by BrokeLoser

Haha..that's to funny...the 60* hype / gimmick...most would be better off leaving it at home so they aren't tempted to hit it and ruin their score...much like a driver.

I guess you leave that driver and 58 out of the bag, then, when you play...

:-)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I've decided I'm officially in the market for a 50*, 54*, 58* set....Now I just need to figure out which set to get and where to get them...Suggestions?

I am looking for some new wedges as well and really want to try SCOR.  The only problem is there is nowhere I can actually try them before I buy and I am not really comfortable with that.

Haha..that's to funny...the 60* hype / gimmick...most would be better off leaving it at home so they aren't tempted to hit it and ruin their score...much like a driver.

There is not going to be a huge difference between a 60* and 58*.  I don't see any reason why a high handicapper should shy away from using one, I have one and its one of my favorite clubs.

You should be able to hit flop shots just fine with a 58 though.

To the OP, you are on to something with that. If I had the money and were out buying a new set of wedges I would definitely want to test out my distances. I'm currently using a 60, a 56 and a 52. Like you said. The problem is that I have a huge gap in distance between my 52 and my PW. And of course I am ALWAYS right in the middle of the two. Also like you said.

I started with a 56, just because I felt like everybody had a 56. Then I wanted a 60, and felt like i should get a 52 because that was another 4 degrees different. Not really the best approach.

:whistle:

It don't matter if you have a 58 and can thread a neddle but everyone else uses a 60. You are not trying to cover some ground with an acceptable degree of spacing/accuracy These clubs are used (hopefully) to score big.

There are a few thoughts to consider though.

1) Are all the wegdes under consideration the same length?

2) Are all the wedges ie 58 vs 60 the same swing weight? Total Weight?  It may matter to you an individual.

3) Does a 60 give you fits but as little as 2 degrees allows you to get the club to work?

4) Is the 58 bounce set up like a fairway while the 60 has much more/less - that is  each is designed for a different purpose.

5) Are you awesome with a piching wedge and don't even need a gap wedge.

My PW is 46˚.  I play 54˚ and 60˚ wedges.  Thinking of adding a 50˚, but I do alright even with the 8˚ gap now.

My best golf buddy has a 44˚ PW and plays a 50˚ GW and 56˚ SW.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Ha.  Yeah.  If you're dogging the 60˚ as all hype inappropriate for most amateurs, you better not be bagging 58˚!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Yep, just like you should.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 Superquad 9.5* & Callaway Diablo Octane 10.5*

3 Metal: TaylorMade R11 15.5*

Irons: Ping G15 stiff, steel AWT shafts 4-PW

Hybrids: Adams #3 - 20* & #4 - 23*

Wedges: Callaway Forged X-Tour 52* & 58*

Putter: Odyssey 33" White Ice #1

Originally Posted by jshots

To the OP, you are on to something with that. If I had the money and were out buying a new set of wedges I would definitely want to test out my distances. I'm currently using a 60, a 56 and a 52. Like you said. The problem is that I have a huge gap in distance between my 52 and my PW. And of course I am ALWAYS right in the middle of the two. Also like you said.

I started with a 56, just because I felt like everybody had a 56. Then I wanted a 60, and felt like i should get a 52 because that was another 4 degrees different. Not really the best approach.

I've talked to people, avid golfers, who think the only wedge lofts made are 52*, 56* and 60*

I think we've all made the mistake a time or two: "If he needs that club I must need it as well."

Bah, I don't understand the hate on the 60°. I'm not what you'd call a great golfer, but I use a 60° for most of my short game play. Sure, I occasionally blade one, but I also occasionally bladed my 56°, and my 54°, and my 52°. When I don't blade it, I find I get as good or better results with it as I did with the others. After all, on most chips I'm delofting anyway, so there's really very little extra risk of sliding under or blading the ball.

The only situation where it gives me trouble is on full or nearly-full strokes from either serious hardpan or a fluffy teed-up lie. Again, those are problematic with any of my clubs, and my distance with the 60° is limited enough that I don't often find that situation. If I do, I can play less than a full stroke with a longer club. Having a slightly lower-lofted wedge just to take a full swing with isn't going to help me very often.

Personally, I don't find much difference in playability between about 56° and 60°. I think a novice would be better served grabbing whatever loft they've got and practicing with it rather than fretting over a few degrees.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by mdl

Ha.  Yeah.  If you're dogging the 60˚ as all hype inappropriate for most amateurs, you better not be bagging 58˚!

Never said the 60* was "all hype"...read back through. Like a driver; the 60* is a great club for people who know how to play it.

It's no secret a 60* wedge or 58* for that matter is a tough club to hit...for anyone.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched a guy hit shots back and fourth across the green skulling the ball each time with a high lofted club.

I suppose the humor may have been missed in my reference in that post...or maybe you're the aforementioned player and it struck a nerve....haha

Yep, just like you should.

Hey, I made a smart move by getting short game instruction from Zach Johnson's short game guru.

If you can't hit the club, take your own advice and leave it at home.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Does anyone have any popcorn? I'm enjoying this exchange.

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

RBZ Clone 54* Apollo Black Steel Reg Flex

Custom Bionik 504 set for crossgrip

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

Z Star XV or  TP Black LDP to show off

If you can't hit the club, take your own advice and leave it at home.

I never said I can't hit the club...this thread wasn't / isn't about who can hit what.

We're talking about wedge selection; what and why

This was a great thread before I tried to be funny and accidentally offended some folks...sorry

I never said I can't hit the club...this thread wasn't / isn't about who can hit what.

We're talking about wedge selection; what and why

This was a great thread before I tried to be funny and accidentally offended some folks...sorry

No problem. That's why smilies are used.

I've found the reason most people can't handle any club around the green is that they have poor fundamentals. It has nothing to do with the fact that the club is a wedge -- it's that around the greens they go weird -- they use their arms so much that they get away from the body, the weight shift is everywhere, they have no rhythm, and they are stiff. It's just that they pick up a wedge around the greens and we tend to blame it on the wedge. But the problem is the player, not the club.

As to wedges, I once did 4 degrees of separation, but have no problem with 5 - I think Phil M does 50, 55, 60 at most times, or did...

Originally Posted by iacas

I play 48, 54, 60.

I have a 6* spacing as well although it is 46, 52, 58.

I used to carry four wedges at 4* apart but finally figured that for me, it's easier to take a little off a wedge than a longer club.  I then filled in the gap between my # 3 hybrid and 3 wood with a 2 hybrid or sometimes a 5 wood.

Regarding gaps and such, it depends on how you hit them.  For me, a 49 (PW), 53, 57, 60 combination gives me a true sand wedge and a true lob wedge.  I'd love to go 54/60 and like I said earlier in this thread, I am trying to work a 53/58 into service, but in both sets (Ben Hogan forged and Scratch respectively) the lob wedge seems to be a compromise between a sand wedge and a lob wedge. I could likely get two aftermarket wedges and pair them together, but it seems with 3-wedge sets they each have a distinct purpose and distance - after having them tweaked/bent to my personal preference.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think everyone is going to use them for different purposes. I rarely use my 60* for full shots I generally use it around the greens or if I'm under about 80 yards and have to go over a bunker. My PW is a 51* so I only carry a 56* and a 60*. I don't like how strong the new lofts are so I have my TM MB bent to the old school iron specs. They also don't have a gap wedge with the set so I wouldn't have to shell out another 140 for the vokey wedges i got now

This is just me, but I hit my PW 130 max, and my 56* SW 110 max, but I don't need a GW because I can also hit my PW 115 if needed.

Likewise, I don't need a LW because I can hit my 56* anywhere from 0 - 110. I also don't have any problems opening her up a little and hitting nice soft high floaters (unless it's buried).

For me, wedge play is all about feel and creativity.

dak4n6

Note: This thread is 3333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!