IGNORED

Protocol when finding clubs on course.

KingG
Note: This thread is 4248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I always give it to the first ranger that I find because likely the person that left the club is a few holes ahead and the ranger will likely run into them making their rounds.  More than likely the person that left the club is gonna realize it within a hole or two because it was probably a wedge that was left and they will likely need it again within a hole or two.

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Do you assess penalties to yourself for extra clubs in the bag?

In The Rules of Golf, there's a ruling on that.  If I recall, you don't have to take the penalty.

having left a nice cleveland wedge on a course and not getting it back :(

...i am determined to return any clubs i find!

Originally Posted by dsc123

I dont understand why anyone would leave it.  If the guy realizes it, he's going to backtrack and ask every group he passes if they found it.  So by leaving it there, you're just making him go further to get it.  If he doesn't realize it until after he leaves, then he's going to call the clubhouse.  I can't imagine a circumstance where it is beneficial to leave it.  Why not pick it up and leave it at the clubhouse if he doesn't come by?

A lot of people don't feel its there problem.  I know im not there to make sure everyone remembers there clubs.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I will do what most do (I think), and what the OP intended to do (why don't you believe him?) and pick it up and turn it into the pro shop at the end of the round if its not claimed by the owner during the round.

Because if it happened to me, that is exactly what I would hope somebody else would do.

My thoughts exactly.  Do unto others and all...

I've found many wedges around a green.  I always pick it up and every time but one I've had the owner come back for it.  One time I found one late in the round, I think on 17, and the owner never came back for it.  It was an almost new, nice brand 58˚, and I turned it in to the pro shop.  Though the guys there seemed frankly surprised I was turning it in, which might be some evidence that more people than you'd like to think would declare finders keepers at the end of the round if no one had come back to claim it...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TomK82

A lot of people don't feel its there problem.  I know im not there to make sure everyone remembers there clubs.

You sound like a nice guy.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

You sound like a nice guy.

and he can't spell "their" either...

• Upvote 1

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by TomK82

It's not a "problem" and those people are scumbags.

It would ruin your day, wouldn't it, if you put a club in your bag and handed it in at the proshop?

Of course you aren't there to make sure everyone remembers their clubs, but part of being a decent human being is to spend 15 seconds doing something to help a fellow golfer.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I think a safe bet is to pick up the club, bring it to the clubhouse because 9 chances out of 10 the person who forgets to club will just go to the clubhouse the next day or whatever the case may be.

Originally Posted by Dohaney

I think a safe bet is to pick up the club, bring it to the clubhouse because 9 chances out of 10 the person who forgets to club will just go to the clubhouse the next day or whatever the case may be.

It's not only a safe bet, it is the one and only protocol.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dohaney

It's not only a safe bet, it is the one and only protocol.

What if the club isn't forged? Do we still have to pick it up?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I carry an old, worn out glove in my bag just for such occasions. Also useful for removing goose "leavings" from the green.

• Upvote 2

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Of course not.  Anyone who sullies the golf course carrying cast irons or wedges deserves to lose them!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

The question doesn't arise, because if the marshalls are doing their job, and the assistant pros have done their pre round bag inspections (known in the trade as a "pre-bag"), those players are weeded out and removed anyway.

only time I've never had someone backtrack to retrieve a club was when I found one on the 18th green. Turn it into the clubhouse

Actually found a wedge on a green today...... Never even made it to the next tee box before the owner came back to us looking for it. We caught them and they let my buddy and I play through 2 holes later. Karma, or just mutual respect and common sense etiquette? Either way it worked out well for all. Btw.... 2:45 for 18 holes. Nice.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 4248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!