IGNORED

Protocol when finding clubs on course.

KingG
Note: This thread is 4269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I have the clubhouse in my contacts list and will consider calling them next time, but for now I just pick it up, put it in my bag (with my wedges since I'll always notice a stow away there) and drop it off at the clubhouse/proshop after 9 or 18 depending on whether I found it on the front or the back. It's not rocket science.

That's a good idea, though what I meant was to call in case you get home and realize you still have the club.

I've never forgotten to turn in a club, but did pick up a headcover one time. In that case, I just brought it back the next time. It was an old beat up one, so I'm sure nobody collected it.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Last club I found on the course I gave it to the marshal when he came around..He went ahead and asked the groups out in front of us if it was theirs. Probably saved some time as the person who had lost it would have had to backtrack to inquire about the club.

• Upvote 1

Happened to me twice, both time it was a wedge left near the green. Turned them into the clubhouse. Both times, the club was claimed before I was done my round (both times the wedges were left on 9th green, so I would just pop into the pro shop with it before going to the 10th tee. The second time, a guy came looking for it and I told him where it was.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Call me a cynic but I don't trust others to always do the right thing.  After all, clubs get stolen in and around the clubhouse do they not?  So I always pick up stray clubs and hand them in to the clubhouse at the first opportunity, unless of course someone comes by asking if we've seen a lost club at which time I hand it over and accept their grateful thanks.

I've left a few clubs in my early years playing the game and someone has always done the right thing.  Must be lucky I guess.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Let the clubhouse know you have found a club. Our course has carts with GPS and there is a way to report a lost or a found club. A ranger comes by and gets the club from you and finds the rightful owner.

For my own clubs, I have labels on the shafts with name and email address so anyone who finds it later can notify me. Since getting labels years ago, I've never left a club. Come close a few times on a par 3 where you bring a few clubs up to the tee box.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

While on the course give it to the Marshall that way your not trying to hurry up catching someone in front who forgot it, or call the starter and they will send someone to come get it.

I've actually left my PW once, and the group behind rode ahead to us to check if it was mine. I was very grateful.

I've also found someone's wedge once, and as someone had mentioned, I left it near the exit section of the green.

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Our course has carts with GPS and there is a way to report a lost or a found club. A ranger comes by and gets the club from you and finds the rightful owner.

Now that is creative.  Bravo to that GC.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

If I find a club I will always pick it up and ask the group in front of me when we will surely catch them if they lost a club or somebody always comes back looking for it before we I have a chance. I have never gotten through the 18 with the club still but I would be sure to leave it in the club house.

I am a cynical so I will usually quiz the person if I find say a vokey I will say, "anybody lose a wedge?" they will look through their bag and be like oh yeah thats mine. then I ask them what the specs are on the wedge or what kind is it? I just don't trust people anymore.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I have found 3 in the last 6 months when people take a wedge and putter and then leave the wedge behind after finishing the hole.I pick it up and carry it in case the owner comes back looking but if they don't just drop it at the pro shop saying which hole I found it on so they can be sure of who owns it when they come looking.

I find wedges around the greens constantly. I always put it in my cart, not my bag, and turn it into the pro shop afterwards. I don't put it in my bag simply so I don't forget to turn it in.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart

I find wedges around the greens constantly.

You may want to size up your briefs there, Chris.

In the bag:

I have always left the clubs  (moved them to easy view)   but now I'm second guessing myself.

Two weeks ago I left my 55* on the course my mother lives on  (walked out and played 6-7 holes towards one evening,  playing multiple balls/practicing etc....  not very 'structured'  )

I thought my kids pulled it out of the bag when it was in the basement because they emptied a dozen balls from the pocket of the bag,  but when I couldn't find it anywhere,  I called the course,  and sure enough they had it.

My mother picked it up from the pro-shop for me,  but it's over 3 hours away,  so I've been playing without my 55* for awhile....   It's an adjustment!

Originally Posted by Fore Left

I thought my kids pulled it out of the bag when it was in the basement because they emptied a dozen balls from the pocket of the bag,  but when I couldn't find it anywhere,  I called the course,  and sure enough they had it.

That strikes too close to home for me. I've finally realized that the certainty with which I believe the kids must have taken something of mine and lost it is directly proportional to the odds that it's in my pants pocket in the hamper, in the glove compartment, or some other place that can only implicate me.

In the bag:

I will always pick them up if I find them and since I always stop at the clubhouse after a round...I turn it in if no one asks for it before then.  The times I've found stuff, though, I haven't went more than a couple more holes before someone comes back asking if we found it.

As for being cynical of someone coming back to ask for a club...I'm pretty sure there are zero people on a golf course who would go out of their way to drive back HOPING someone else lost a club and that they would also run into the person who found said club.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I usually look for a name tag and scratch it off before anyone can see and then sell it on ebay.  just kidding.

keep it with me during the round and hopefully someone will come back or something.  If they don't I leave it at the pro shop or with the cart guys.  If there is a number on the club, I'll call it and leave a message as to where I left it.

What would you want to happen if it was one of your clubs?

I always pick them up then drop them off at the clubhouse. If they're left out there they may not be spotted by the person coming back looking for them - he didn't know where he lost them. They may be picked up by someone who isn't quite so honest. They may be left out overnight in the rain, and th shaft fill with water...

At the end of the day, replacing a club isn't cheap and would you want to be in the position that it was you needing to splash the cash.

Note: This thread is 4269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!