IGNORED

What's your take on course/yardage markers?

formula428
Note: This thread is 4276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. What type of yardage markers do you prefer (if you only had to choose one)?

• Yardage sticks (on the sides of the fairway)
    • Yardage sticks (in the center of the fairway)
    • Cart path paint/markers
    • Markers within the fairway (not visible until you're within 10 yards)
    • I don't use fairway yardage markers, just my phone's GPS...
    • What's a fairway yardage marker?

Rangefinder is the best way to go. Absent that, I prefer the 150 pole in the middle of the fairway and sprinkler heads with yardages to front/middle/back.

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart

I only use my phone but I'm starting to question its accuracy sometimes. Every so often I'll pop it out and it seems to be significantly off and have to close the app and start it again to resync with the GPS.

I use Golfshot GPS.  But I'll verify the yardage with a marker in the fariway (or rough) - make note of the difference in yardage posted on my GPS when I'm directly over the yardage marker on the course... And then walk over to my ball with my phone.  So...

If my GPS says:

115yds to the front,

123yds to center,

135yds to back...

And the sprinkler head says

116yds to front,

127yds to the center,

133yds to back...

I know when I go over to my ball - to have a small change in the numbers.  +1 to front... +4 to center... -2 to back.

I used to not do this... But one day I missed the green.  And was scratching my head as I knew I hit the club 95yds.  But I ended up 10yds short.  And found the GPS could be off as much as 10yds from the nearby sprinkler.  So now I just check to see how close the GPS is to the sprinkler so I know if I'm getting a fair number or not.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With regard to many courses, the poll isn't necessarily relevant because many courses utilize all of the above!   Plus you forgot to mention the large fairway yardage placards also used to mark yardages in increments of 25...IE... 100-125-150, etc, etc...they can usually be seen from some distance too.

With that said, I just use a laser these days

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I prefer my rangefinder. I dont even look at course markers anymore.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

With regard to many courses, the poll isn't necessarily relevant because many courses utilize all of the above!

Also the OP mentioned using a Phone's GPS.  But today, many golf courses have GPS on their carts. That option wasn't in the poll.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I'd be okay with just 100, 150, 200, 250 markers in the center of the fairway.  I like having a more prominent marker at 150 --- the course I usually play has the 150-stakes in the center of the fairway.

I kind of like the way some courses will plant bushes at the edge of the fairway at 150 instead of a plastic stake -- kind of neat.

I appreciate yardages on the sprinkler heads, but I'm happy to pace off distances from 100, 150, 200  -- my game is inconsistent enough that my paced-off yardage is more than good enough.

I think I would like a yardage book, but I've never used one.

I *hate* when the only yardage markers are on the cart path.  (I also walk almost exclusively -- it's connected.)

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

With regard to many courses, the poll isn't necessarily relevant because many courses utilize all of the above!   Plus you forgot to mention the large fairway yardage placards also used to mark yardages in increments of 25...IE... 100-125-150, etc, etc...they can usually be seen from some distance too.

With that said, I just use a laser these days

I do on new courses and they're handy when you spray to an area where there are no markers, but I consider accurate pacing and distance estimation a golf skill just like hitting a bunker shot.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I do on new courses and they're handy when you spray to an area where there are no markers, but I consider accurate pacing and distance estimation a golf skill just like hitting a bunker shot.

exactly.......a good example why lasers are a valuable too even when playing familiar courses.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 4276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!