IGNORED

Driver for Beginner...

Note: This thread is 4166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks for letting me join the community! I am a high handicap golfer who really enjoys the game. Now that my baseball days are over, I have to find something else to stay active. I am really having trouble getting off the Tee and I am at the point where I need to hit a driver to improve my score. After spending countless hours researching, I have narrowed my search down to a few clubs and I would like yalls opinion.

Nike VRS 2012 Driver: I recently bought the 3 wood since I got it brand new for 110 bucks! I have only hit it a few times and when I do hit it, I really like the club. My previous 3 wood was a Callaway X which went with my old X18 irons. I like the Nike 3 wood much better than that but my research showed that the Driver ranked highest for the mid handicap golfer. I can get this for about 150 bucks or maybe less.

Taylormade RBZ (not tour): Havent hit this club but loved my Dad's old TM woods. It ranked highest in some places for high handicap players and then some it didnt. Overall, it was one of the highest ranked drivers.An employee at DIcks said this would be the driver he would recommend. I can get this club for about 190 bucks.

Callaway Razr X Black (not fit): It ranked highest for maximum high handicapper and has amazing reviews everywhere. Dicks employee said he would not recommend this for high handicap golfer. I can purchase this for about 115 bucks!

Another one that I saw was the PING G20 or something like that...I havent researched it to much.

When your give your opinion, take money into consideration but not how expensive it is..if that makes sense. I am looking for a club that I can use for a long time to come and right now, I cannot get off the Tee with my very old Big Bertha! I cant really explain what I am doing wrong because I am so inconsistent. Well, I take that back, there was a period where I was hitting it about 220 yards, very low flight and a bad left to right spin kind of inbetween a draw if that is the right term (fade?) and slice (or hook). I just started playing that and most of the time I would end up in the fairway.  I really do appreciate yalls help and look forward to seeing what you have to say!

The loft, shaft length and flex, the grip size and to some degree the head size is vastly more important the the name on that driver.

Loft. More loft is better. 9 and 10's abound but are probably worse performers than 11

length never over 45" and better to choke up than to err on being too long

Flex is far more critical in graphite than steel. regular is a safe bet  until proven otherwise

Grip size: Too small can be disastrous. Too big can be a tad off.

Head size Bigger is better unless you have very good precision striking ability.

After all that

I have tried Taylormade and no way for me.

I find Callaway to allways deliver. I would go with the Razer X if I were loaded with$ Rather I would get a used Hyper X on ebay. That club is killer.

My son in law has a Ping that I gave him and it delivers  as well.

I also HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that you watch Jim Hardy's DVDs the Plane Truth for Golfers. Test drive some of his stuff on youtube http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqISzGxtQ5HQAD1X7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBrc3VyamVwBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQD?p=plane+truth+for+golfers+hardy&vid;=F572F6CF3F690ADC8EE1F572F6CF3F690ADC8EE1&l;=&turl;=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fvideos%2Fthumbnail.aspx%3Fq%3D4556458472308770%26id%3Db22dbca8bc0d55a7b49bf048a66c2c61%26bid%3D4Y7cCmk%252fz%252fZy9Q%26bn%3DLargeThumb%26url%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww.youtube.com%252fwatch%253fv%253di5ot8ZzKE80&rurl;=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Di5ot8ZzKE80&tit;=Jim+Hardy+-+One+Plane+and+Two+Plane&c;=4&sigr;=11akeoq3c&fr;=yfp-t-701

If it would have been available 20 years ago I would be an expert by now.

I was looking at 10.5 regular flex. When it comes to head size, for some reason, I do not like the super large heads on drivers. How does the RBZ compare to the Razr in that size? Also, would you recommend anything over 10.5? Thank you so much for taking the time to help!

Roll will determine the 10.5 issue. Tournament (hard short fast) course roll more. So lower loft can exploit. But higher loft will get more carry.

Wishon - Search for Perfect Golf Club page 186

70 mph swing speed difference between 11 and 19 loft is 11 yards (145-156 carry)

90 mph swing difference between 9 and 13 degrees loft is 7 yards  (206-213 carry)

etc etc

So yes over 10.5 can have some advantage

A 10.5* adjustable driver can be taken from 9.5 to 11.5 degrees.  I'd say that (with shaft matching) covers 90+% of amateur golfers.  You could have a 9.5* X-flex shaft or 11.5* senior flex for the golden years.  All of this would be at your disposal with a wrench and possible shaft change. Seriously, 10.5* in a "stiff" factory OEM shaft and adjustable head is an excellent combo for anybody.

Well since the RBZ is adjustable the Razr X one that I am looking at is not, it may be best to go with the RBZ. Anyone know if the RBZ has a big head for a driver or how it compares to the Callaway Razr X Black head?

Originally Posted by homedepotfan

Well since the RBZ is adjustable the Razr X one that I am looking at is not, it may be best to go with the RBZ. Anyone know if the RBZ has a big head for a driver or how it compares to the Callaway Razr X Black head?

I find a LOT of useful information at the manufacturers' websites.  You can get right down to the nitty gritty on lie angle, shaft length and weight, cubic centimeters.....etc

After researching more...I think its down to the Ping G20 and the Callaway Razr X. Those two seem to score the highest for beginners. With that said, I am still considering the Rocketballz RBZ (not tour) and decided to not purchase the Nike VRS since I have the 3 wood. Any thoughts on the G20 vs Callaway Razr X Black (not fit). My swing speeds is roughly 78-85, I know that is slow but I used to have a very diff upright swing but in order to find my game again (high 80's, low 90's) we switched my swing plane and slowed it down. So, would yall recommend a regular flex or stiff? I assume I would get regular just like it comes from the factory. I dont want to customize until I get that consistency back. For all I know, I may go back to my original swing.

I use a Callaway driver, it's forgiving, easy to hit, and with your swing speed, it will definitely fly for you.

I'd pull the trigger on the Razr.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

If your cant get off the tee with your Big Bertha and the flex isnt too stiff for you, then Id say you might be better off invest money in lessons instead of a different driver.  The best driver in the world isnt going to do you any good if you dont know how to swing it properly.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Its about 12 years old and actually may be defective but I was able to get off the tee until I lost my swing. I am planning on taking lessons but  also money does not matter to me so I plan on buying one of them regardless. So, with that said, do you have one you recommend out of the two?

Its about 12 years old and actually may be defective but I was able to get off the tee until I lost my swing. I am planning on taking lessons but  also money does not matter to me so I plan on buying one of them regardless. So, with that said, do you have one you recommend out of the two?

Go try both and decide for yourself, its the only way to know which one you will be happier with.  There is no best driver out there that everyone is going to get the best results with, all these companies make great clubs so it really comes down to what one fits you best and which one you prefer.

Newbie here.  I played (not very well) 15 years ago, and had a starter set from Dicks  (Ram FX irons), MacOne D, 3W, 5W.  Took five years off (life, family, etc.) and started playing again this year.  Broke the D and 3W at the shaft above the hosel approx. 2 weeks apart, so I was too looking for a decent driver and 3W to get off the blocks with.

After reading quite a bit on this forum, I went to Taylormadegolf certified pre owned.  For $129 (I'm a lefty, so I got the discount), I got a Burner Driver and Burner 3W.  Hit them the first time this Saturday and couldn't believe the distance and control.  3W, carried approximately 210-215.  Driver about the same, but less control.  Will need additional time on the range with her.  As for fairways hit, I was 6 of 14 (which is personal best).

For 129.00, to see what will or won't work for me (before dropping several hundred or thousand)... I think the certified pre-owned is one of the best bargins out there.

Patrick

After researching more...I think its down to the Ping G20 and the Callaway Razr X. Those two seem to score the highest for beginners. With that said, I am still considering the Rocketballz RBZ (not tour) and decided to not purchase the Nike VRS since I have the 3 wood. Any thoughts on the G20 vs Callaway Razr X Black (not fit). My swing speeds is roughly 78-85, I know that is slow but I used to have a very diff upright swing but in order to find my game again (high 80's, low 90's) we switched my swing plane and slowed it down. So, would yall recommend a regular flex or stiff? I assume I would get regular just like it comes from the factory. I dont want to customize until I get that consistency back. For all I know, I may go back to my original swing.

You should stay with a regular shaft with your current swing speed. Even with your old swing speed of low 90s a regular flex would fit you.If you are really stuck between the G20 and the Razr X get on a launch monitor and find out which one you hit better.

Titleist 14 way stand bag
Driver: Titleist 910 D3
3wood: Titleist 910f
hybrid: Ping I20
4-Gw: Ping I20

56 Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM4

60 Wedge: Cleveland CG10

Putter: Scotty Cameron California Fastback

Well, I went to a golf store today and swung about 4 different drivers. It was very tough to get a good feel since I hate swinging clubs indoors. I tried the RBZ, Ping G20, Cobra and Callaway Razr X Black (non fit) and I really wanted to like the RBZ the most but that wasnt the case. I didnt care for the Cobra and that only left the G20 or the Black. After hitting them both for a little while and honestly, not really focusing as much as I should have been nor was the employee for that matter, I chose to go with the Callaway. It was also his favorite club and cheaper than the other two by $140 bucks! Everywhere I looked, the Razr X Black (non fit) has 5 star reviews from the media, critics or customers. I feel like I made the right choice for where I am at in my game. Once I learn how to hit the driver and get back to my high 80's score, I can search for a more expensive driver if I need it. I will post an update to let yall know how I feel about the club as time progresses. My bag now consists of:

Callaway 2012 Diablo Edge R Irons or Callaway X18 Irons

Nike VRS 2012 3 Wood (LOVE IT and would have just got the driver but wanted to switch it up) and the Callaway X 3 wood

Jack N 5 Wood

Odyessey Putter

Callaway Razr X Black Driver

and my two favorite clubs are a cleveland 3 and 4 hybrid.

I also have about 6 different types of balls. I googled best balls for high handicap and it seemed like the 2 core (or whatever its called) were the best so I purchased some highly rated Callaway models, a nike model and then I have some cheaper balls and the more expensive Titliest.

Last but not least, I managed to find a brand new Callaway Upro MX+ the 2012 model for $140 bucks after shipping on Ebay from a dealer I purchase through a lot. It's an amazing golf gps system and nothing compared to their horrible past products. I think you will really see the reviews take off once the 4.0 update is released which includes shot tracker and will enable you to keep track of every club you used on every shot so you can learn your distances and look at past history when in a similar circumstance.

Thank you so much for all your advice guys and I look forward to being part of the community as I try to find my game again and this time stick with it. My baseball days are over so I must find a new hobby to succeed in!

• 3 months later...

I tried the RBZ driver a couple of times, and sprayed the ball all over the place. I did much better with "other" drivers on each day.  Be aware that the RBZ shaft is 46.5" long. A shorter shaft would help you with control. Overall, people seem to like the RBZ FWs better than the driver.

I would say hit all three on a launch monitor and see which one gives you the best performance data. It you can hit some outdoors shots, all the better. If you have moderate rather than high swing speed, try out a 10.5* and a 12 degree driver - you lost distance on drives if you're not getting the ball up high enough.

And, don't forget about the shaft, which is half the club. Things to consider:

• Flex: this how much the shaft bends during your swing, and whips forward on downswing. Average male golfers tend to use Regular or Stiff. Be aware that there's no industry standard for the different flexes - the performance varies from company to company. Good indicator = clubhead speed with shaft.
  • Weight: A lighter shaft will give you more clubhead speed, but could cost you control if it's too light.
  • Kickpoint: The point on the shaft at which most of the bend occurs. A low kickpoint helps give you a higher launch; high kickpoint helps give you a lower launch (I know, it's tricky).
  • Torque: This measures how much the shaft twists to help you square the clubface. Torque 3.0 is average; lower torque (such as 2.4)  twists less, higher torque (such as 4.5) twists more. Too much torque could encourage a hook, too little makes the shaft feel like a broomstick.

The clubhead and shaft combo are easier to figure out if you work with a good fitter. You might ask around among your better golfing friends for recommendations.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!