IGNORED

How Many Is Too Many?? Golf Balls That Is!

sportsnut
Note: This thread is 4267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many do most of you keep on hand? I think I may be leading the league in number of golf balls on hand. Started playing last year and with the number of balls lost during a round I was buying balls like crazy that were as cheap as possible. At the same time I was buying good mid level balls (Gamer V2, Wilson Staff Zips, Srizon Ad333) so I would be able to have them on hand as I progressed, again bought on sale at really good prices. So the long and the short of it is I must have between 20 - 25 dozen on hand with the vast majority of them good mid level balls which is what I currently use on the course except for playing water holes, when I pull out a used one or a cheapo. This year  my losses are max one or two if any during a round, and they are kept in a dehumidifed room so they should last. Is anyone close or do more people do this than I would imagine?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no where close to how many you have.  I do have about 6 dozen Nike One Tour's, but mostly because they are no longer sold so I have a stock pile of them before I can't get them anymore. If I could still buy Nike One Tour's than I'd probably have no more then 2 dozen at a time.  The only time I can see myself with more golfballs would be if I lived somewhere such as a lake where I could just shag old beat up balls in the lake for fun.

Right now i have been playing with 1-2 dozen golf balls, mix of TP blacks and Penta's..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I happen to have 6 dozen Penta's on hand, and the only reason I have that many was I bought them late last year when TGW had a deal on them, buy 2 dz get 1 free.  I normally buy what I think I will need for the year at the end of the season or as the new season begins.

Being a little anal and OCD ( or as I like to put it CDO, has to be in alphabetic order), I used to buy 4 dz at the begining of the season, all the 4's in a box, 3's, 2's, 1's and then when I got to the 1's I would buy 4 more dozen.  But with as many quality balls available and sales being run all the time I don't bother with that stuff.  Plus I have been playing custom number Taylormade balls for a couple of years now!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I had 4 dozen on hand...2 dozen Pro V1x that I won in a tournament and 2 dozen Nike 20X1x that someone gave me. I used a dozen of the Nikes and traded the other box for some more Pro V1xs. I am down to 2 sleeves. Time to restock!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I usually buy them a dozen at a time, and usually replenish when I have one unopened sleeve left in my bag.  I usually have a half dozen used ones in the bag too, and I will usually keep a ball until I lose it, which could be 4 rounds or more.  Even though I start competition rounds with a new ball, once the game is on I'll replace a lost ball with one of the used ones.  Modern balls are nearly indestructible, and even a small scuff doesn't bother me for casual play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Have a 100 ball bucket of AAAA Callaway Tour I(s), close to full 50 ball bucket of AAAA Titleist NXT Tour and 4 dozen new Callaway Black Hex Tour that I just picked up during their $27.30 special.  About 80% of the balls in the buckets are course worthy, the rest will get thrown into a shag bag for chipping and putting practice.   I'm planning to save the new Callaways for "good swing" days on my home course since I still lose 4-5 a round on new courses, especially if I'm using my driver.

Joe Paradiso

I have 3 dz Callaway HX Chrome, and 1 dz ProV1s.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have multiple buckets and milk crates full of golf balls in my garage. My old man is a ball hawk and when we're waiting on a group up ahead you'll see him wandering in the woods/weeds looking for golf balls. It's like he has a radar for them too, because he never doesn't find any. Because I'm slightly OCD i've gone through most of them and tried to organize them by quality and type.

Originally Posted by sportsnut

How many do most of you keep on hand? I think I may be leading the league in number of golf balls on hand. Started playing last year and with the number of balls lost during a round I was buying balls like crazy that were as cheap as possible. At the same time I was buying good mid level balls (Gamer V2, Wilson Staff Zips, Srizon Ad333) so I would be able to have them on hand as I progressed, again bought on sale at really good prices. So the long and the short of it is I must have between 20 - 25 dozen on hand with the vast majority of them good mid level balls which is what I currently use on the course except for playing water holes, when I pull out a used one or a cheapo. This year  my losses are max one or two if any during a round, and they are kept in a dehumidifed room so they should last. Is anyone close or do more people do this than I would imagine?

I have six dozen Top Flite Gamer V2s on hand, but as my game improves I lose fewer balls each round than I used to, so I'm set for a while.  I got them at a really good price, so I use them on every hole, water or not.    If I had 300 balls on hand like you do I'd definitely want to use a better performer, at least one that gives me reproducible distance, on water holes.

Originally Posted by Motown88

I have no where close to how many you have.  I do have about 6 dozen Nike One Tour's, but mostly because they are no longer sold so I have a stock pile of them before I can't get them anymore. If I could still buy Nike One Tour's than I'd probably have no more then 2 dozen at a time.  The only time I can see myself with more golfballs would be if I lived somewhere such as a lake where I could just shag old beat up balls in the lake for fun.

On the subject - I have 10 - 12 dozen of the Nike Ond Tour D...for the same reason.  They quit making them.

Somewhat on topic - I also stocked up on Bridgestone 330's that were on sale for 20$ a dozen.  14 boxes to be exact.  I "thought" they would be pretty much the same ball as I had been playing (Nike Tour D's), but I was gravely misstaken.  I lost 10 yards off my driver/3 wood and 5 yards off my irons.  I am going to beg them to take them back.  They were on clearance and I bought the rest of their inventory.

This sucks!  I wish Manufacturers would stick with the same ball each year and make minor adjustments if needed.  If you look at Nike's website and click on individual players it shows that over 50% play with the Tour D's not the 2000 x's s's or whatever the crap they are called.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Modern balls are nearly indestructible.....

I'll have to take your word for it.  I never have one long enough to really test that.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by RGoosen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motown88

On the subject - I have 10 - 12 dozen of the Nike Ond Tour D...for the same reason.  They quit making them.

Somewhat on topic - I also stocked up on Bridgestone 330's that were on sale for 20$ a dozen.  14 boxes to be exact.  I "thought" they would be pretty much the same ball as I had been playing (Nike Tour D's), but I was gravely misstaken.  I lost 10 yards off my driver/3 wood and 5 yards off my irons.  I am going to beg them to take them back.  They were on clearance and I bought the rest of their inventory.

This sucks!  I wish Manufacturers would stick with the same ball each year and make minor adjustments if needed.  If you look at Nike's website and click on individual players it shows that over 50% play with the Tour D's not the 2000 x's s's or whatever the crap they are called.

I saw similar distance losses, but I don't see any freaky long ones either and that was why I switched to them. I find it's a 1/2 club shorter than the Gamer and Penta. I can live with that.

I have a few dozen balls. The ones I don't play, I'll give away eventually. Of the ones I will certainly use, I have 2 and half dozen. Losing 5 or 6 balls in a bad round is pretty easy. I might go a couple rounds and not lose any.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I normally have a dozen on the golf supplies shelf in my garage, a dozen or so in my bag, what's left from a dozen in my car trunk, minus what I may have lost on the course (I'm usually good for a loss of 2-3 per round) and a batch of maybe 3 dozen shag balls for the back yard.

I usually buy them a dozen at a time, and usually replenish when I have one unopened sleeve left in my bag.  I usually have a half dozen used ones in the bag too, and I will usually keep a ball until I lose it, which could be 4 rounds or more.  Even though I start competition rounds with a new ball, once the game is on I'll replace a lost ball with one of the used ones.  Modern balls are nearly indestructible, and even a small scuff doesn't bother me for casual play.

Exactly this except that I start every round with a new ball. Replace any lost balls as I go with used ones.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

That's a pretty general statement, I wouldn't expect golf balls to last forever but you're statement makes it seem like they have a relatively short shelf life.  What's the half life of a golf ball core?

Originally Posted by Pakoh

The cores dont last forever... they degrade over time.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!