IGNORED

Phil Mickelson...what's up?

TN94z
Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

brocks, you're reaching on this one, reaching really far.  Phil was having fun

Jeez, where did I give the impression that I don't understand that? Where did I give the impression that I thought he was a bad person? He's my second favorite golfer, and he's by far my favorite when it comes to the way he treats the public. And he was obviously trying to please his fans, as I said in my first post on the subject. All I said was that *I* wouldn't have done it because there could have been some kind of freak accident, and I'm getting ten times more grief for it than for all the controversial stuff I said about religion in the Chik-Fil-A thread. Go figure. [quote name="Elvisliveson" url="/t/61141/phil-mickelson-whats-up/18#post_755431"] Sometimes, instead of digging in your heels, you have to perform a self assesment and figure maybe you were misguided if 3 people are questioning your logic. Maybe that 4th poster was right and you do get off on being argumentative. [/quote] Nice to hear from the Voice of Reason, but nobody here has questioned my logic in any meaningful way. One implied I was crazy, you called me a sycophant and then doubled down by positing a secret agenda to smear Phil, and then some guy showed up out of the blue and said I was an instigator. Please show me the Aristotlean logic in any of those responses. Life is too short. You guys have fun, I'm hitting the hay so I can get up early and watch the golf.

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

I sense an impending thread hijacking by Tiger sycophants.

LOL, he's not nuts, he just has an agenda. We all know a certain golfer who did something reckless and  irresponsible, so his fanboys try to paint every other popular golfer in the same light no matter how ridiculous their logic might seem to those who don't have that axe to grind.

So no agenda and you did forget to take your meds? Sorry, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

Come on, you have to admit your toddlers comment was a bit silly and quite a reach. You were obviously trying to take a nice gesture and make it something else that no one else saw.  And you do seem to have Tiger on the brain in the majority of your posts.

Looks like YOU are the only one trying to direct this thread in that particular direction.  Three shots at it and no one took your bait,  Too bad, so sad.  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by brocks

He obviously meant well, but it wasn't the smartest thing he ever did. So many ways something bad could have happened.

Imagine if the ball had hit an unexploded bomb in the pool or if the father had been teaching a three year old how to shoot and the ball had hit the trigger.

An absolute MIRACLE that nothing went wrong. Badly wrong. Hopefully the PGATour will have pulled him aside and explained the abject stupidity and culpability of this stupid act. Ban him from the PGA is what I say. Send him packing. Give him the option of saying he withdrew because of arthritis. Whatever. GET HIM OUT. He must be used as an example.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Like Phil I have psoriatic arthritis.  Since I know how pain and psoriatic lesions from the disease can ebb and flow I think that he might just be having problems that cause him to not be able to play as well as we all know Phil can play.  In saying that, if he falls out of the top 8 in the Ryder Cup rankings due to poor play I don't think that he should be a Captain's pick since if his play is arthritis related I don't see it getting much better in the short term.  If he's being considered after falling out (if it happens) I hope that he would be honest about his health prospects with Captain Love.  I'm still rooting for him, though.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Looks like YOU are the only one trying to direct this thread in that particular direction.  Three shots at it and no one took your bait,  Too bad, so sad.  LOL

Hey everyone look, the club president has chimed in. Noticed you're using sycophant tactic #3, "we didn't actually mention a certain someone by name, so it's your problem". And then end it with tactic #7 "so sad".

You realize by responding, you were taking the bait (as you call it), lol. And I have full confidence that you'll continue do it, so I will state right now that I'm done here. You and. Brocks can make all the passive aggressive statements about Phil, me or whoever else you feel is a threat your idol. I prefer to just call it exactly what it is.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I like how they call people fanboys, while simultaneously going into mama grizzly mode and attacking anyone who makes even the mildest criticism of Phil.

This was a great thread back in the day when it was about what's up with Phil...

I guess I'm setting myself up to be called a Tiger fanatic (which I am, and which somehow means I must automatically despise Phil) but it seems like Phil's struggles have more to do with Phil's mechanics than his health issues.  A lot of his missed opportunities have been inside 20 yards.

nike.gif  VR-S Covert 10.5*

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

vokey.gif SM 50*, 54*, 58*

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

• Administrator
Originally Posted by ClayHbg

This was a great thread back in the day when it was about what's up with Phil...

This thread started three days ago.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

This thread started three days ago.

You totally missed the sarcasm....

nike.gif  VR-S Covert 10.5*

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

vokey.gif SM 50*, 54*, 58*

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

• Administrator

You totally missed the sarcasm....

Yeah, probably because it doesn't translate well to written text, which is why and :P are often used. That and I've only skimmed this thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It looks like Phil just hurt his wrist or forearm hitting a shot out of a hazard.  I'm sure this won't help if his arthritis is bothering him.

Joe Paradiso

Phil sightseeing today..............hitting it left then right then left. Jeez.......he's sooooooooooooooooo good at scrambling though.

Anyone else hitting it so poorly would have given up already but not Phil.

ive grown to like phil more in recent years.  i used to hate him, being the tiger fanboy that i am.  but he has become more likeable and has toned down his FIGJAM attitude.  i think hes probably in pain, and just really out of sync.  he has been all over that island today.

Colin P.

ive grown to like phil more in recent years.  i used to hate him, being the tiger fanboy that i am.

I've never understood that attitude. Sure, if he and Tiger are battling down the stretch, root for Tiger if you're a Tiger fan. But Tiger and Phil have battled down the stretch only a handful of times. Any other time, you might as well root for Phil if he's in contention, because the more wins Phil gets, the better Tiger looks. Less cynically, I've always enjoyed watching him play, and today was a great example. He was way off his game, playing a brutal course with the wind picking up, and he somehow managed to shoot one over. His short game really is a thing of beauty.

He's fun to watch, but he's also painful to root for.  Even the commentators, I think it was Brian Katrek (sp?) said 'it would be nice to see Phil just tee off with an iron and play his 2nd shot from the fairway ' in a frustrated tone after watching Phil hit his driver into trouble.

His short game is amazing, but he is at risk of getting cut because of his tee shots.  He needs to go back to his driving iron and leave the woods in his car, especially if the winds keep up for the rest of the tournament.

Originally Posted by brocks

Less cynically, I've always enjoyed watching him play, and today was a great example. He was way off his game, playing a brutal course with the wind picking up, and he somehow managed to shoot one over. His short game really is a thing of beauty.

Joe Paradiso

I've never understood that attitude. Sure, if he and Tiger are battling down the stretch, root for Tiger if you're a Tiger fan. But Tiger and Phil have battled down the stretch only a handful of times. Any other time, you might as well root for Phil if he's in contention, because the more wins Phil gets, the better Tiger looks.

It's because Phil was the number 2 guy to tigers number 1. Kind of a "my guy can beat up your guy" even if they never really meet for a fight. Also like i said, it was the perceived FIGJAM attitude he had.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

He's fun to watch, but he's also painful to root for.

Extremely well put.

Michael

Originally Posted by mchepp

Extremely well put.

Second that. I used to root for him all the time (especially being left handed) but disappointment after disappointment led me to just watch him and wait for the bad decision(s) to ruin his chances.

I used to say I go into the woods with 2 golfers in my head; Greg Norman and Fred Funk. Greg is always trying the hero shot and Fred is just vanilla recovery stuff. Who got to hit the shot depended on how I felt that day. Now I say I go into the woods with Phil and Jim Furyk but I guess Jim can collapse too.........

Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!