IGNORED

Looking for new clubs

Note: This thread is 4253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's that time of year...well maybe not this year with all this heat...that the season is approaching an end.  With only 2 more months to go until the season is over it's time to look into a new set of irons.  I currently own a set of Nike VR split cavity irons and am looking to upgrade.  My price range is $700-$1000 before any discounts and trade in.  I'd like to hear some reviews from members that may have gotten clubs earlier this year and can still say their clubs are great.  I've read many reviews already but in my opinion the majority of reviews are written shortly after a purchase and not after an extended ownership of the clubs.  I'm currently stationed in SD and don't have access to any good golf stores.  I'll be going on vacation to Minneapolis at the end of next month and would like to be able to possibly trade in my clubs and purchase a new set of customized irons from Golfsmith.  So that I'm not in the store for hours like when I purchased these irons I'd like to go in with my mind set on 3 or 4 different sets to try out and decide on.  Let the reviews begin!  Thanks in advance

If your looking at staying in the cavity back irons, I suggest looking at the Ping G20s or possibly AP1s.  If your moving up to forged, then look at others like Ap2s, Mizuno MP series or Ping I20s.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

I love the irons in my signature. At the beginning of the season, I  went to look at Mizuno JPX 800 Pros and got the Cobra AMPs instead and haven't regretted it for a second. I actually hit these further than the notorious TM Burner 2.0 irons I gamed last year. They make a forged CB version too if that's more your style.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18

If your looking at staying in the cavity back irons, I suggest looking at the Ping G20s or possibly AP1s.  If your moving up to forged, then look at others like Ap2s, Mizuno MP series or Ping I20s.

Not sure the G20s are an "upgrade" and the i20s are certainly not forged.

Which irons did you personally purchase that you recommend, as per his query?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I got the Mizuno JPX 800 irons (Not the pro version) about a month ago and love them.  My first two rounds with them have been great and I am hitting them way better than my old Ping G10s.  To be fair to the G10's I had the JPX 800s fitted and not the G10s but I like the look and feel of these irons a lot better.

I would go get fit for sure when you decide to purchase your clubs, I got to try a lot of different sets during the fitting and the JPX 800s felt the best to me and produced the best results on the launch monitor.

Mizuno is coming out with new JPX 825 and JPX 825 pro irons fairly soon so I would highly recommend hitting both those sets. I have also heard the JPX 800 HL irons were pretty nice too but I have never tried those ones.

Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18

I currently have forged irons and will get another forged set.  I like the split cavity back design, it has the right amount of forgiveness to playability.  I'm looking into blades, maybe something in the Titleist line.

I'm stealing the thread a bit, because i'm also going to buy new clubs soon. I was thinking about gettting either titleist ap2, mizuno mp59 or nike vr pro combo anyone can convince me not to buy one of these or to buy anything similiar instead? I will get fitted once I've decided which clubs to try out. Other brands I consider is cobra and taylor made. Thanks

edit: Right now I use a set of old Titleist 775cb.

Hello, Here are my two cents.. I have had the Titleist AP2 710s for almost two years now and the thought of new irons for me seem totally ridiculous. Just for fun I keep changing the grips on these. You cannot go wrong with these. It's the comfort level that I developed with these that made my swing very consistent and now I'm committed to my iron set:-) Also, at your handicap you should be able to make the most of these. Just get the right shaft and lie angle... In other words, get fitted. Good Luck!

Originally Posted by dbwood

I haven't tried them but they what may be a sleeper deal right now are the Cobra S3 pro forged.  Good reviews on the internet, (I know, I know).

thanks saw a couple of reviews and they seem nice, will definitly try them before final decision.

if your looking for blades id go with taylormade mb, titleist 712, or mizuno mp69. all 3 are basically the same club with a different style/color/finish/name on them. i am a fan of the cobra irons tho, i have hit the amps before and surprised the hell out of me as to how good they feel. i also like the adams pro a12. might be the best clubs adams has produced thus far. small muscle back irons with incredible feel, they are also forged.

We Have similar handicaps... I bought titelist AP2s with +1/2" Dynamic Gold SL with dritec grips +1. I would suggest not buying anything advertised a lot as most game improvement irons have too much offset for players who draw the ball... Which is most players under a 10. I personally didn't like the R11s because of the offset. Although they were easy to hit well I hooked them. Best advice is to get fit.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Not sure the G20s are an "upgrade" and the i20s are certainly not forged.

Which irons did you personally purchase that you recommend, as per his query?

I currently have G5 Ping Irons, but will be getting new irons next season, I have been swinging some demo AP2s and love them, which is what I'll probably get next season.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Originally Posted by DufnerDip

if your looking for blades id go with taylormade mb, titleist 712, or mizuno mp69. all 3 are basically the same club with a different style/color/finish/name on them. i am a fan of the cobra irons tho, i have hit the amps before and surprised the hell out of me as to how good they feel. i also like the adams pro a12. might be the best clubs adams has produced thus far. small muscle back irons with incredible feel, they are also forged.

I've been looking into the Titleist 712's and Mizuno.  I've owned TM in the past and had a bad experience with the clubs followed by TaylorMade themselves so I won't look into those clubs.  I've heard great things from people who own TM so apparently it was just me.  But as a big company you should never upset a consumer...they remember those things!!!

Originally Posted by Motown88

I've been looking into the Titleist 712's and Mizuno.  I've owned TM in the past and had a bad experience with the clubs followed by TaylorMade themselves so I won't look into those clubs.  I've heard great things from people who own TM so apparently it was just me.  But as a big company you should never upset a consumer...they remember those things!!!

Thats very true but whats good for one person isn't the best choice for another. Between the 712's and the Mizuno MP 69's, I think Mizuno would win. To me they just feel better and if I can remember correctly, I hit them about a month ago, but Mizuno definitely felt better and seemed easier to hit. Titleist blades are, once again in my perspective, had a slightly shorter heel to toe than the Mizuno and TM. I think you would enjoy either one whatever you decide.

Let us know how you like whatever you choose!!

Note: This thread is 4253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!