IGNORED

Chip grip

turtleback
Note: This thread is 3586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For those of you that use a different grip for putting than you use for full shots, which grip do you use for those little chips from just off the green, the regular grip, your putting grip, or something else?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I'm chipping and pitching, I use the same grip I use for full shots.......an interlocking grip.

.........but I may use a putting style stroke depending on the shot.  IE......if it's a fairway lie and I intend to hit a chip and run......the stroke is very similar to a putting stroke, but I don't use a putting grip.........a putting grip will work, but I don't use it.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Putting grip.  The stroke is pretty much the same as a putting stroke, so using a putting grip makes the most sense to me.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Putting.

Driver -- TM Burner 2.0 9.5º

FWs -- TM Burner 2.0 15º / 18º

Hybrids -- TM Raylor 19º and 22º

Irons -- TM Burner Plus (4i - PW, AW, SW), TM Burner 1.0 LW

Putter -- Scotty Cameron Mallet Phantom 2

Bag -- TM Stratus 3.0

Ball -- Top Flight Gamer V2, Titleist DT Solo

• 1 year later...

For those of you that use a different grip for putting than you use for full shots, which grip do you use for those little chips from just off the green, the regular grip, your putting grip, or something else?

I don't even change my grip for putting.  I'm in the simpler is better camp. :smartass:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I am sorry I misread the question... I chip with my normal interlocking grip, I do change my grip pressure... Thumbs are still extended down the shaft...

I'm going to try and start chipping and pitching with the reverse overlap! It feels so comfortable and I have so much more control, or feel like it anyway.. I'll report back on results.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

To me a chipping stroke is pretty much the same as a putting stroke. Both are an "arms only" type stroke for me. With that, I use the same grip on both strokes. Heck, I even use the same grip, and stroke on longer chip shots that some folks might call a short pitch shot. The loft I might use is determined by the shot at hand. The only change I do make when chipping is that I raise the heel of club up of the ground a little to avoid it hitting the ground. Yes this puts the toe down a little, which again I don't let touch the ground prior to striking the ball. Actually when raising the heel up, the pitching club will sit some what level, just like the putter does. Only when I have a distance, shot, and/or ball lie that requires me to break my wrists in the back swing, do I change my  to the Vardon grip.  Just a few thing less to worry about.  You can google "Paul Runyon Chipping" for a better idea.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Chipping is all based off of feel, and I prefer not to think of it as a putting stroke... When I chip or work with someone on chipping a teach them to let the bounce of the club to do its job, and to keep there left arm traveling towards there target...

Bryan

I use the same overlapping grip for chipping as my full shots. I putt with a reverse overlap.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I mix it up on chips depending on the shot. If I'm only a pace or two of the green I'll use a reverse overlap grip but use an interlocking grip just as often on chips. I find I play my chips equally well with either grip so I don't worry about it much

Henry

I been using interlocking with a LW for most of my short game shots around the green.

For those " little shots" just off the green, which I define as within 15 paces of the hole, I generally will go to my putting grip which is reverse overlap ,

If the lie is in deep rough around the green within 15 paces to the the hole, I will ten finger grip and still use a putting stroke but hit it off the toe.

In the middle of the summer seems like the grass grows lush around the greens now and need to learn to play those tricky shots with rought around the greens.

Note: This thread is 3586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!