IGNORED

For a free drop...can I place it on the fairway?

Note: This thread is 3193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My question is, certain rules in golf allow for a free drop.  For me, this particularly often applies to the cart path and next to a yardage stake that isn't movable.  Under the "free drop" may I place the ball (no closure to the hole) on the fairway, or must it be in the rough?  Or, is it where the ball is nearest to?  I.e, if the ball is on the cart path, which is "in" the rough, it must be placed in the rough.  Likewise, if the yardage marker is in the center of the fairway, the ball is placed in the fairway.  But how about on the edge of the fairway/rough...?

1) You must drop the ball not place it.

2) You must determine the nearest point to your ball where the is no interference to the ball, your stance and the line of your intended swing. This may be on or off the fairway or in the rough. Whichever is the nearest but not nearer the hole. You should use the club which you would have used if there had been no interference to simulate the stroke you would make to determine this spot.

You may then drop within one club length of this point not nearer the hole. The club used to measure may be any club in your bag.

See

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-24/#24-2b/1

for a full explanation and

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-25/#25-1b/2

for some helpful diagrams.

The above answer is correct---the difference between dropping and placing is very important.

In answer to your question about rough versus fairway, there is no distinction between these when choosing your drop point. The only restrictions are that you may not drop in a hazard (bunker or water hazard) and you may not drop on the putting green. Otherwise, any point within the one club length of the nearest point of relief may be selected.

Originally Posted by zeg

The above answer is correct---the difference between dropping and placing is very important.

In answer to your question about rough versus fairway, there is no distinction between these when choosing your drop point. The only restrictions are that you may not drop in a hazard (bunker or water hazard) and you may not drop on the putting green. Otherwise, any point within the one club length of the nearest point of relief may be selected.

To be clear, note that there are situations where one may drop in a bunker (if the ball came to rest in the bunker and they're taking relief from casual water or taking an unplayable lie), just not when taking relief from an immovable obstruction.

Some other exceptions.

DROPPING ON PUTTING GREEN ALLOWED (one stroke penalties)
24 Relief from Obstruction (Ball Lies in Bunker)
25 Relief from Abnormal Ground Condition (Ball Lies in Bunker)
26 Relief from Lateral Water Hazard (Ball Lies in Hazard)
28 Ball Unplayable (Ball Not in a Bunker)
As far as dropping in a bunker I can also think of this being allowed when taking relief under the water hazard rule, taking relief from an unplayable outside a bunker, and stroke and distance under rule 27.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

To be clear, note that there are situations where one may drop in a bunker (if the ball came to rest in the bunker and they're taking relief from casual water or taking an unplayable lie), just not when taking relief from an immovable obstruction.

Correct, I was referring specifically to the case described where the issue is just that the ball was in the rough.

Note: This thread is 3193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • Of course.  Almost all of us strive, through research and training and other methods, to stay alive.   Military or not.  But in the military you must be willing to put yourself in harm's way to protect your country.  The result could be your death.  When you go in you know this.
    • Debunking mRNA Vaccine Misconceptions—An Overview for Medical Professionals mRNA vaccines are designed to withstand many variants.  It is literally impossible to say what variants will arise though. To the third, why would that matter on whether you take it or not? If you take more, you take more.  I'd assume the first two questions are the key for you, the third is more curiosity.  Would the third be a make it or break it moment?  If anything, it could be yearly.  But the more people vaccinate, the less likely it is we'd need to take more.
    • I've been in a scenario similar before, except I was the player who went over the time and it was an assistant coach who found my first ball as I was addressing my provisional.  Yeah, it really sucks to find the first ball after it's already been declared lost. Knowing that you could have avoided the two strokes if you'd just looked "right over there" instead, but the ball was lost and now at least you aren't out the $4 of a nice ball (assuming you pay for balls, I know many high school/college golfers don't during school tournaments). There was no discussion or arguments on the course, I just told him to toss me the ball and continued to play my provisional, but after the round he pulled me aside to tell me I should have just played the original ball since it was found before I hit the provisional. In all honesty I probably would've scored worse from the position of the original ball (deep in a bush requiring a drop that still would leave me in a bad position), and the ball was already lost. A lost ball stays lost, and if you find it after it's no different than coming out of the woods with an extra couple balls left by earlier golfers. I've also had the coach/caddy of another player in summer tournaments try to twist the rules against me as some kind of "gotcha!" at the scoring tent (where he wasn't even supposed to be allowed) over an event that happened very early in the round. I had pointed out to his player that you can't play from inside of an ESA like you can with other lateral hazards, and apparently that upset him when the player agreed with me rather than him so he claimed I looked too long somewhere on the front 9 for my ball. I hadn't looked for that long, I found it before the other players even started playing their golf balls, but he got himself worked up enough that I just withdrew and left without signing my scorecard or dealing with any of that hassle. This was a guy who made a big deal on the first tee (and multiple other times throughout the round) about being a PGA Professional and that we should all listen to his advice (against the rules) because he was a pro. Those incidents, among others I've encountered along the way, have led me to believe that the people who want to bend the rules are most often the people not actually playing in the event itself, but those who are "indirectly participating" as a caddy/coach/etc. There are no consequences for them directly, if caught the blame lands on the player, but if their players do well they can take the credit. They also usually know enough about the rules to be dangerous, either from intentional or unintentional misinterpretation.
    • After having a golf simulator for 2 months my golf scores have stabilized tremendously. Previously I used to play in the mid to high 90s. My last 3 scores has been 89, 89 and 90 on tough courses. The biggest improvement is that I have completed a golf wedge matrix with 1/3, 2/3 and full swing distances and now I am able to hit the greens over 80% of of the time within 30 yards to 90 yards. This limits most bad holes to bogeys.  There are stretches of 9 holes that I have only 2 over. However, my slices and pulls sometimes resulted in big numbers on a few holes. With the golf simulator, I can see clearly that I still have an out to in swing. When I consciously pretend to have a glove under my right arm pit I hit the balls really well with no pull or slice in practice. However, on the course my pulls and slices often come back which results in double bogeys or even triple bogeys when I lose my balls. I am really optimistic. With the simulator and instant feedback I think I will be able to resolved my out to in swing problem in a few months.
    • Define long term. Because we are past the sixth month you wrote about. Vaccines aren’t new. The vaccine is proving to be pretty damn affective against the current variants and the more people get vaccinated the fewer future variants we will have. This vaccine is not going to stop every coronavirus ever. It’s not a SARS vaccine for example. Or a MERS vaccine. Waiting to see that given the evidence we have now is willful stubbornness. And the answer to your final question is that it will vary but even if it’s one year like the flu vaccine then we can have a lot more of a return to normalcy that you so crave, and fewer dead people, in the meantime and sooner. Look, you showed your hand when you called it an extended “clinical trial.” You don’t know what you’re talking about so you are pretending that you are waiting for more information when all of the information you should need as a member of society is out there. Vaccines are not new science. Even this type isn’t new. At the end of the day what you think are “reasons” are actually just excuses. I’m a contrarian. But I’m also not a moron. I understand and read the science. The data. You’re willfully not doing so, or willfully setting such a high bar to clear that you’re able to justify your inaction. It’s also your duty to protect others, which you are failing to do right now. If I could take a pill that had all the same data and information as the current vaccines that guaranteed to 95% effectiveness that I would never seriously injure someone else in a car accident I would take it immediately. Even though the odds of that are also pretty low.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. MasonAsher2014
      MasonAsher2014
      (25 years old)
    2. Ryoung3555
      Ryoung3555
      (57 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...