IGNORED

Should Tiger drop Nike?

Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Exactly, anyone thinking Tiger just goes to the Golfsmith rack and picks up his clubs is mistaken.  The shafts and grinds are completely customized for him.

Originally Posted by Spyder

One thing many people don't realize, is that the clubs that these professionals are using are not the same clubs that you are using. They often receive prototype or "one-offs" engineered specifically for them. They are tailored from head to toe from the shoes, to the clubs, to the hat. I think the only thing that they're using that you would have access to off the shelf would be the ball.

Tiger is definitely not using some stock VRS off the shelf of Golf Galaxy. He could, but he's not. You definitely cannot compare your 3 wood experience to what the professionals are using.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker

Tiger is simply a billboard for Nike; so is Michelle Wie. As long as these people get camera exposure, Nike is willing to pay the price and custom-make equipment to their specs. Nike even knows what kind of clothes Tiger will be wearing at next year's Masters, so they can get them into the pro shops on time. If you fall off the radar (like David Duval), Nike has no use for you and you will be dropped. With the exception of Tiger and Wie, it looks like Nike is getting very little exposure at the top of the leader boards of late. Most of the logos you are seeing are Titleist, Ping, Cleveland, Calloway and TaylorMade. The "swoosh" has gotten less visibility as of late.

Correct me if im wrong, but are you saying Tiger/Nike has not been well represented at the tops of leaderboards? He has more wins than anybody else on tour and has contended in all of the majors. As long as Tiger is playing, Nike is benefiting. Wie is the same way. The cameras always show her whether she is playing good or bad. People watch the PGA tour for Tiger and the LPGA for Wie amongst others. She's not playing well but she's still pretty fun to watch.

Driver:  907 D1 (10.5*)

3 Wood:  Burner Superfast 2.0 (15*)

Hybrid:  Idea Pro Gold (21*)

Irons:  VR Pro Combo CB (3-PW)

Wedges:  VR Pro (52*,56*)

Putter: Method 004

Ball:  Penta

Originally Posted by bhp1404

Quote:

Tiger is simply a billboard for Nike; so is Michelle Wie. As long as these people get camera exposure, Nike is willing to pay the price and custom-make equipment to their specs. Nike even knows what kind of clothes Tiger will be wearing at next year's Masters, so they can get them into the pro shops on time. If you fall off the radar (like David Duval), Nike has no use for you and you will be dropped. With the exception of Tiger and Wie, it looks like Nike is getting very little exposure at the top of the leader boards of late. Most of the logos you are seeing are Titleist, Ping, Cleveland, Calloway and TaylorMade. The "swoosh" has gotten less visibility as of late.

Correct me if im wrong, but are you saying Tiger/Nike has not been well represented at the tops of leaderboards? He has more wins than anybody else on tour and has contended in all of the majors. As long as Tiger is playing, Nike is benefiting. Wie is the same way. The cameras always show her whether she is playing good or bad. People watch the PGA tour for Tiger and the LPGA for Wie amongst others. She's not playing well but she's still pretty fun to watch.

Could he be saying that the bulk of the guys in the Nike ads are overrated undarachievers, Tiger notwithstanding, while some of the their other good players are rarely ever shown? e.g. Schwartzel, Pettersen, and Pettersson, etc.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:

If you read my post more carefully you will see that I said "With the exeption of Tiger and Wie.....". This year, Nike has gotten little exposure from their other players (unlike a year or two ago, when just about everyone on the leaderboard seemed to be wearing the "swoosh"). If it were not for Tiger and Wie, the Nike logo would have little exposure on tour.

Quote:

Quote:

If you read my post more carefully you will see that I said "With the exeption of Tiger and Wie.....". This year, Nike has gotten little exposure from their other players (unlike a year or two ago, when just about everyone on the leaderboard seemed to be wearing the "swoosh"). If it were not for Tiger and Wie, the Nike logo would have little exposure on tour.

I apologize for paraphrasing your post because I got it dead wrong. Did you miss the PGA Championship? Are you going to catch any of the Wyndham today on the golf channel?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Clambake

Yeah, that flop shot to win at Memorial was a piece of amateurish garbage.....

I didn't know wedge game = short game; I was referring more to the 157th ranked player in birdie percentage from <125 yards. That shot at memorial wouldn't have been necessary had he hit his wedges closer to the pin. But yea, let's just point out one shot in the 100s he hits as definitive. Let's just do that. Keeps it simple for the simple-minded.

Originally Posted by jgreen85

I didn't know wedge game = short game; I was referring more to the 157th ranked player in birdie percentage from <125 yards. That shot at memorial wouldn't have been necessary had he hit his wedges closer to the pin. But yea, let's just point out one shot in the 100s he hits as definitive. Let's just do that. Keeps it simple for the simple-minded.

Wasnt it like a 8 iron from 190. I beleive it was a par 3 that only one person had birdied all day.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

wrt irons:  tiger uses Miura irons forged for him wiht DG shafts. This is not an issue

Putter:  15 years with Scotty Cameron Putter.  switching made no sense.  Should never make decision when your upset.  Unfortunately, now that he switched, moving back would hurt nike.  But he should switch.

Driver: Never used anything else and did fine til now.  he doesnt need distance, just accuracy.

Once his head is straight and Sean Foley & he get his swing where he trust it, the equt wont matter will it?

Putter:  15 years with Scotty Cameron Putter.  switching made no sense.  Should never make decision when your upset.  Unfortunately, now that he switched, moving back would hurt nike.  But he should switch.

He has switched back to the Scotty several times since he originally put the Nike Method in his bag. I think the fact that he's consistently gone back to the Nike over the last few years (and has been using the Nike this entire season, IIRC) is indicative of where his comfort is. If he honestly thought the Scotty would help him win a major, I don't think he'd hesitate to put it in. I don't think Nike would object much to him putting the Scott back in either if he really thought it would make a difference (a Tiger with a major is way more valuable, no matter the putter).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

wrt irons:  tiger uses Miura irons forged for him wiht DG shafts. This is not an issue

Golfing urban myth number 1. Why do people make this crap up?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Because many golfers don't like Nike clubs and refuse to believe one of the best golfers in the world uses them.  And I think they know it annoys you Shorty

Originally Posted by Shorty

Golfing urban myth number 1.

Why do people make this crap up?

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Because many golfers don't like Nike clubs and refuse to believe one of the best golfers in the world uses them.  And I think they know it annoys you Shorty

Quote:

Golfing urban myth number 1.

Why do people make this crap up?

I've read several times that his Titleists were forged by Miura which was the next best thing to his Mizunos, but in reality they were probably just made wherever Webb Simpson gets his irons - Titleists but not currently available.  Didn't Nike scoop up a ton of top guys from MacGregor and elsewhere when they got started? Nike golf equipment was 100% garbage in the 80s but those were soft goods. Back then if it had a swoosh it was basically disposable.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I've read several times that his Titleists were forged by Miura which was the next best thing to his Mizunos

That's right.

A decade ago.

Unfortunately, for some reason, people who know nothing persist in saying Tiger uses (as in present tense) forged (there's a hint) Miuras.

In the same way that someone recently went on and on about his mock collars, which he hasn't worn for five years.

So...newbies who have hit a iuke 3 wood once and didn't like it say "Tiger doesn't use Nike anyway, he uses forged Miuras" and the myth persists for another decade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I've read several times that his Titleists were forged by Miura which was the next best thing to his Mizunos

That's right.

A decade ago.

Unfortunately, for some reason, people who know nothing persist in saying Tiger uses (as in present tense) forged (there's a hint) Miuras.

In the same way that someone recently went on and on about his mock collars, which he hasn't worn for five years.

So...newbies who have hit a iuke 3 wood once and didn't like it say "Tiger doesn't use Nike anyway, he uses forged Miuras" and the myth persists for another decade.

Remember how huge his first Sunday reds were? A lot of people probably think his shirts are 4 sizes too big too, even though they're cut very well. Still though, those new VRs are pretty GD ugly, no?!?

A little off the subject, but I can remember Gary Player "playing" black fiberglass shafts made by Shakespeare (the fishing rod company) in the late 60's. These were heavily promoted as high-tech game improvement shafts back then, and were the forerunner to today's graphite. The truth was that Player hated the shafts, and soon replaced them with metal shafts which he had spray painted black. So I'm sure that today just about every forged iron set you see on tour is custom ground to the player's specs, and not mass produced for the public. Tiger is playing Nike irons that you cannot buy.

A little off the subject, but I can remember Gary Player "playing" black fiberglass shafts made by Shakespeare (the fishing rod company) in the late 60's. These were heavily promoted as high-tech game improvement shafts back then, and were the forerunner to today's graphite. The truth was that Player hated the shafts, and soon replaced them with metal shafts which he had spray painted black. So I'm sure that today just about every forged iron set you see on tour is custom ground to the player's specs, and not mass produced for the public. Tiger is playing Nike irons that you cannot buy.

Another myth.

The overwhelming majority of profesional players' irons and heads are EXACTLY what the average player buys. They take a bit more care with weighing them and setting them up, but irons, generally speaking, are not "custom ground". Some wedges are.

No. Nike should drop him. Haven't bought a Nike product since his ordeal and won't

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!