IGNORED

Should Tiger drop Nike?

Note: This thread is 4250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone who has played Nike clubs over the last 2-3 years knows their equipment is right up there with the top manufacturers.  Most of the equipment out there right now is pretty comparable when it comes to quality.

nike.gif  VR-S Covert 10.5*

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

vokey.gif SM 50*, 54*, 58*

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

Apple doesn't own an aluminum mine. They bought the rights to pretty all the production from a mine in Australia. Apple is a good example of how the modern production world works. They make nothing. It is all subcontracted out to asian ODM.  The kicker is that Apple is big enough that these ODMs will do things like build plants just for apple.

Now if your told me that samsung owned an aluminum mine, I would be not be shocked.....

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

You're right....these guys could buy a starter set at Wally World and still shoot under par in most PGA events. Not sure who owns what foundry, but it doesn't really matter. Companies like Nike get whatever they want regardless of who the subcontractor is, and if Nike doesn't own a foundry, it's only because they consider it cost effective not to. They could afford to buy one if necessary.

Very few companies control the supply side of their products the way a company like, say, Apple does. Apple bought an alluminum mine to ensure they had adequate control over supply and quality for their iPad cases. Now THAT'S supply-side control.

Originally Posted by x129

Apple doesn't own an aluminum mine. They bought the rights to pretty all the production from a mine in Australia. Apple is a good example of how the modern production world works. They make nothing. It is all subcontracted out to asian ODM.  The kicker is that Apple is big enough that these ODMs will do things like build plants just for apple.

Now if your told me that samsung owned an aluminum mine, I would be not be shocked.....

That's what I get for quoting one internet source and not doing my own research. Apparently Apple's commitment to take the bulk of production from whatever mine was key in keeping the cost of the iPad down.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Note: This thread is 4250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!