IGNORED

Ways to get back into after surgery

atb5079
Note: This thread is 4241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am still recovering from wrist surgery. I am right handed and it was on my right wrist. All together it will be almost a month in between practicing/playing. Anybody have any basic tips in order to get back into it? I'm so frustrated because my game was really making progress. Should I start just with my short game and ease up into hard swings with the driver?

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I had rotator cuff surgery. Water work is ideal. I provides resistance no matter how you move. Get a section of the long floats they use for water exercises and swing it under water like a club. Ideally in a hot tub.  The wrist is a tougher thing to exercise water Is a good way.  Could even use those hand paddles (use a mitten if you live in a clod climate)

Ahh yeah not a band idea. Thanks a lot!

Had thumb surgery a few years ago -- pins and stuff, pretty bad. Injury caused by hitting a ball. Hit a drive and felt tremendous pain. Was not the worst swing I've ever made -- the ball went straight and landed about 230 out in the fairway. I am not sure what I did to rip tendons in my thumb. Surgery was not 100% success but thumb works. Not re-doing surgery and I can live with the results.

My biggest issue getting back was fear of hurting it again. I really was also afraid that because of my fear I would create compensations with my grip and swing in order to protect the thumb. I wrapped it for a while. I took a lot of short swings. I convinced myself that a good swing with proper technique would not hurt -- which has proved to be true. When I made a swing that hurt, I tried to understand what went wrong. In my case, when I cast the club, it puts odd pressure on my thumb and creates pain. (Perhaps that is what I did to cause the mess.) Five years later, bad casting still causes pain in that thumb. Talk about feedback. Mild casting is bad for my swing but does not hurt. My grip must be "perfect" to avoid pain. Thankfully, proper technique is the cure...

My advise:

Wrap it or whatever you can do to protect it as much for the wrist as for your head.

Swing slow and easy and focus of excellent technique. If excellent technique hurts, stop. Find a better wrap, rehab, or wait for more healing. Do not adjust your correct swing to compensate for a wrist in recovery.

Be careful of weighted clubs. Building strength is good but those clubs can put a lot of pressure on your hands and wrists. Remember that you are in rehab.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

The thing about my surgery was merely a cyst removed in my wrist in between the tendons. So its not like I broke anything or damaged any digits. The pain I add never even worsened or bothered me when I golfed. It was always from weight lifting and stuff at work.

Originally Posted by atb5079

So I am still recovering from wrist surgery. I am right handed and it was on my right wrist. All together it will be almost a month in between practicing/playing. Anybody have any basic tips in order to get back into it? I'm so frustrated because my game was really making progress. Should I start just with my short game and ease up into hard swings with the driver?

I'd schedule visit with a local sports medicine clinic and request a free consultation.  I'm sure they can give you ideas on what you should be doing.  Then if you feel they know what they are talking about (request references and case studies)... Then perhaps do rehab with them?  I'd think minimally you would want to go through some physical therapy before you start swinging the club??  But I'm no physician...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by atb5079

The thing about my surgery was merely a cyst removed in my wrist in between the tendons. So its not like I broke anything or damaged any digits. The pain I add never even worsened or bothered me when I golfed. It was always from weight lifting and stuff at work.

I have a cyst in my left wrist.  It's been there since I was a kid.  I've never had it removed, but it does bother me from time to time.  In particular - when I am not eating healthy - and too much physical activity.  I've thought about having it removed, but haven't.  How was the post op recovery?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I have a cyst in my left wrist.  It's been there since I was a kid.  I've never had it removed, but it does bother me from time to time.  In particular - when I am not eating healthy - and too much physical activity.  I've thought about having it removed, but haven't.  How was the post op recovery?

My recovery wasnt too bad. No real rehab required since it wasnt like I broke something or structural damage. But I actually played yesterday for the first time since the surgery. Shot an 84 which I was quite pleased with. My driver struggled a tad because it was hard to turn my hands over through impact so I had a bit of a slice on a lot of the drives and my distance from the tee was noticeably shorter. However the rest of my game was awesome probably because I literally couldnt swing too hard and so I was swinging smooth and comfortably. It was nice to get out and I will gladly take an 84 for the first time back.

I'm in recovery from spine surgery right now. My advice is to heal COMPLETELY.

Then work on getting your flexibility and strength back. Physical therapy might be a good idea.

After that is done, start back into golf slowly, putting, chipping, etc., working your way up. There's no need to rush things.

Think of this as a blessing in disguise. Spend the time working on your short game and putting, getting them to levels they have never been to before. No need to hit the driver until it's time.

Good health is more important than golf.

Note: This thread is 4241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!