Sign in to follow this  
MGNJ88

Leaving for golf trip to Ireland on Sunday and compiling a "to bring" checklist

Note: This thread is 3027 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 posts / 3192 viewsLast Reply

For all the guys in my group. I have most of the obvious items like clubs, shoes, balls, clothes, rain gear, etc...anybody been over there before and have suggestions for what else we need to pack ? Thx

Originally Posted by MGNJ88

For all the guys in my group. I have most of the obvious items like clubs, shoes, balls, clothes, rain gear, etc...anybody been over there before and have suggestions for what else we need to pack ?

Thx

Ginger Repellent

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For all the guys in my group. I have most of the obvious items like clubs, shoes, balls, clothes, rain gear, etc...anybody been over there before and have suggestions for what else we need to pack ?

Thx

Like 6 extra towels including some for yourself, maybe extra shoes if you doubt the waterproofness of yours, rain cover for bag, umbrella, maybe some under armor to keep you warm in the wind, and extra (waterproof) gloves if you want to wear them. New grips are a good idea if yours are slick, and I think a fresh wire brush in case of some mud/embedded grass. Handwarmers in the bag are good to have, and a camera.

Also bring a small lawnmower and a sense of humor. Just leave the Irish accent at home, some people start to pick it up or attempt to imitate it. Being American is fine and it won't get you laughed at.

And bring a box of tissues because I promise one of you will probably be weeping with all the wind. Have fun!

Nope, if you need it here you will need it there, just thinking about the open championship... It can get cold even in the summer, or it can be 90 degrees. be ready for anything... remember that Ireland is known for their Wool goods and Aran sweaters... if you live somewhere other then FL where we only get 2 days a year cold enough to wear one, you may want to pick one up...

Have fun and enjoy being able to tee off at 7 pm.

Thx

I don't know how you feel about the food over there, but maybe some pepto or something? And maybe some of the adapter plugs for your electronics.

I'm told not much boozing happens out on the course. We plan on taking caddies at most courses too. Later on at the pubs we may indulge a wee bit !

All the course websites say a proof of handicap is required so I got a card. Never used it, ever. So, I'd say bring proof of handicap if you happen to have it.

Bring a contingency plan for what to do if your clubs arrive late.

It's windy - bring one of those clip things that clip your hat to your jacket collar. A heavy duty one, not some wimpy one.

Bring a shag bag. Some of the "ranges" out there you need to provide your own balls and you retrieve them yourself so mark them.

I looked for anything on the interwebs to simulate driving stick shift on the right side, but never could find anything. Bring a good driver (of cars).

I'm told not much boozing happens out on the course. We plan on taking caddies at most courses too. Later on at the pubs we may indulge a wee bit !

Our definition of a "wee bit" and the Irish definition of a "wee bit" is vastly different. x a million!

• Read Tom Coyne's book "A Course Called Ireland" - it will give a you a good perspective of what you're going to run into
  • Get rid of all the extra stuff you might carry in your golf bag - caddy's there think of golf as more minimalist than we do, and they won't appreciate having to carry any extra weight
  • Bring some Immodium or equivalent - Never know when or where you might pick up a little intestinal bug
  • Ambien - Don't want to use it much, but ensuring you get a good night sleep the first night or two will do wonders for getting you acclimated to the time zone
  • Skip the alcohol on the flight over and drink water often on the flight - it helps a lot with the jet lag
  • Earplugs - those older hotels found throughout the isles aren't as good at soundproofing as you'd like
  • Extra socks beyond what you think you'll need - you'll walk a lot there and need to take care of the feet; changing socks mid round will help, especially if it's wet out
  • Most important is to bring a sense of patience and humor - things will go wrong on your trip, and you need to be mentally prepared to not let them spoil a great time.

Don't know how long you're staying, and this may sound crazy, but..... I went with 15 other guys to Scotland for almost a month. I packed two large suitcases with clothes and stuff. One of the guys gets there and I notice he's only got one average sized suitcase.i made a comment about having to have clothes cleaned frequently. Turns out he went to Target and bought about nine pairs of $10 khakis, wore 'em twice or whatever, then trashed them. Then he had room to bring stuff back. After hauling those big bags all around Scotland, I finally saw the wisdom of that move.

Note: This thread is 3027 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!