IGNORED

Americans and Brits Shouting!

Jimmy3putts
Note: This thread is 4183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Monte the Bear

OK, that made me laugh. We're getting hammered by a better team anyway. Time for a bottle of red.

Fair enough. Cheers.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
On American's arrogance - I like America and Americans and the further away from a major city you get, the nicer the people are. It would be good to see you guys travel a bit more maybe, but generally when I ask people over there why they don't travel, it's because they don't see the need to own a passport.

Honestly, I see more arrogance from the Euro side of the pond.

While I will admit that Euro golf crowds are tamer than American crowds, they are not without their share of idiots and their number is increasing, just like it is on the American side.  On the other hand, Euro football crowds are among the most rowdy, vulgar and downright violent crowds in the world.

I was once on a train in Italy.  My wife, being very sensitive to the "ugly American" stereotype was horrified to see a loud group of Americans get on the train at a resort stop.  The Americans were laughing and joking and having a good time.  My wife was very embarrassed.  I pointed out to her that the Americans were only holiday and enjoying themselves, as they should.  Conversely, the Italians on the train were primarily traveling to work.  They had no reason to be anything but engrossed in whatever book they were reading.

It's similar to Europeans being horrified that most Americans are only familiar with one language. Guess what?  It's neither that we're too dumb or don't care.  It's just that it's simply not necessary for the vast majority of our country.  English is spoken most places in the world.   For the most part, the only people we interact with speak English.  Our country is 3000 or so miles across.  If we had dozens of countries within a few hours of our doorstep all speaking different languages, you can bet the Americans would be far more familiar with other languages.  You can argue that Europe is somehow superior because of your geographic realities, but it's geography and necessity that cause it, not because of some superior European intellect.

I really enjoy traveling in Europe, and face-to-face, most Europeans are wonderful people.  However, their superiority complex on the Internet does not do them any justice.

Originally Posted by wadesworld

Honestly, I see more arrogance from the Euro side of the pond.

While I will admit that Euro golf crowds are tamer than American crowds, they are not without their share of idiots and their number is increasing, just like it is on the American side.  On the other hand, Euro football crowds are among the most rowdy, vulgar and downright violent crowds in the world.

I was once on a train in Italy.  My wife, being very sensitive to the "ugly American" stereotype was horrified to see a loud group of Americans get on the train at a resort stop.  The Americans were laughing and joking and having a good time.  My wife was very embarrassed.  I pointed out to her that the Americans were only holiday and enjoying themselves, as they should.  Conversely, the Italians on the train were primarily traveling to work.  They had no reason to be anything but engrossed in whatever book they were reading.

It's similar to Europeans being horrified that most Americans are only familiar with one language. Guess what?  It's neither that we're too dumb or don't care.  It's just that it's simply not necessary for the vast majority of our country.  English is spoken most places in the world.   For the most part, the only people we interact with speak English.  Our country is 3000 or so miles across.  If we had dozens of countries within a few hours of our doorstep all speaking different languages, you can bet the Americans would be far more familiar with other languages.  You can argue that Europe is somehow superior because of your geographic realities, but it's geography and necessity that cause it, not because of some superior European intellect.

I really enjoy traveling in Europe, and face-to-face, most Europeans are wonderful people.  However, their superiority complex on the Internet does not do them any justice.

You would have a point regarding the European football crowds if we were discussing football. We are not. I once watched NFL in Cleveland in the Dog Pound...what was that about obnoxious fans? BTW and FYI, probably the worst sets of Football fans in the world are located...in the Americas, in Argentina. Go watch a Boca Juniors game and take same diapers and kevlar.

You were once on a train in Italy, were you? Good for you. By all accounts, Mussolini had them running on time once, but then you guys showed up and messed it all up (that's a joke by the way). Loud Americans wisecracking...we've all met them. Don't see so many of them about these over here.

About your language...basically what you are saying is that because you only interact with other English speaking persons, you can't be bothered. Look, that's arrogant. The French for example. According to BW, a bunch of *******s, legendarily rude and obnoxious, especially in Paris. But go take the time and be bothered to at least learn how to speak a few things like 'hello' or 'can I get a coffee' or 'where's is your john?'...you'll be amazed how much they appreciate it. When you speak in English to people who are in their country, you are imposing your arrogance and ignorance on them. This is why they laugh at you. Try to converse with them and at least they can see you have tried. And ya know, you have Canada to your North (large parts of Quebec speak French only) and Mexico and Latin America to your south, where Spanish and Portuguese is spoken. You really have no excuses other than "I cannot be bothered. I'm too fat and lazy and this couch is too comfortable".

Please. In three weeks time (if you have not started a war with another set of Arabs), I'll be in the Middle East on business. In a place where, believe me, they dislike Westerners. But I've taken the time and trouble to learn the customs and some of the language. I'll be fine.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

When I travelled extensively through Europe throughout my 20s, the common thing was for the nicer Americans I met to travel with a Canadian flag stitched on their backpacks so they would not be confused with Americans.

A typical comment I overheard on a train - "We had a problem in Paris because noone spoke English." Not - "We had a problem in Paris because we don't speak French".

The worst thing I ever heard though, from an American  travelling through Italy by train past a magnificent river in a ravine - "You know what  - that's a purdy little stream down there, but you what? I wouldn't wash my Goddamn feet in it."

Stereotypes like these linger, but I wouldn't presume to characterise a whole nation because of them.

Try standing in a queue when Germans are about and see if you aren't in the same queue in 4 hours' time.

I have always found the French to be the friendliest of all, if you are prepeared to smile when you talk and not assume they understand English slang with an American accent. For example:

"Give us some more napkins over here" or "Give us more of these breadsticks" in a provincial area whwere almost nobody speaks English and none speak mumbled American.

But you know what? - the most offensive of all to me is the pompous arrogance and pretentiousness of people like Peter Allis and those who refer to Wimbledon as "the Championships" in that self-consciously understated way - as if it were still 1890.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Monte the Bear

Please. In three weeks time (if you have not started a war with another set of Arabs), I'll be in the Middle East on business. In a place where, believe me, they dislike Westerners. But I've taken the time and trouble to learn the customs and some of the language. I'll be fine.

Monte, in this very long thread you have finally given us an example of real truth with these three sentences. There are pompous *******s on both sides of the pond.

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

The frustrating part of this is that a a few sensationalized bad apples and media manipulation keeps people hating other people because of their cultural differences or decisions by governments which almost always revolve around monetary gain verses actual compassion. The government and media portray an event in the way they want the people to respond and hate just continues. I know there are great nice people everywhere but if you continue to live in the past and completely believe that the history you were taught is complete truth, you end up with ignorant azzholes with access to the internet.

On this side of the pond, it appears to me at least that U.S. is expected to do "A", and it was not enough, not soon enough or too much but this also pertains to a lot of the U.S. citizens as well.

Just because your "perception" or information you have received tints the glasses you are wearing doesn't me it is true. It is impossible to have a intelligent argument with some one who hates in a broad spectrum.

I'd hate to interrupt by saying something actually on topic, but I heard a new one during the Ryder Cup........

"BOOBIES!!!!"

I actually chuckled, and my 9 year old came in from the next room and said "Did they shout Boobies?", which made it even more hilarious.

I think it's generally stupid, but the first time you hear a really good new one, it's actually funny.  Kind of like that damn Maroon 5 song.  The first time I heard it, I liked it.  When I can't turn on the TV or Radio without hearing it, I absolutely hate it.  I regard the yelling in the same manner, the first time is funny, after that, it's annoying.

Quote:
You really have no excuses other than "I cannot be bothered. I'm too fat and lazy and this couch is too comfortable".

Seriously?

Why write all that?  Why not just write "I hate all Americans?"

I think you did a great job of illustrating my point however.

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

The frustrating part of this is that a a few sensationalized bad apples and media manipulation keeps people hating other people because of their cultural differences or decisions by governments which almost always revolve around monetary gain verses actual compassion. The government and media portray an event in the way they want the people to respond and hate just continues. I know there are great nice people everywhere but if you continue to live in the past and completely believe that the history you were taught is complete truth, you end up with ignorant azzholes with access to the internet.

On this side of the pond, it appears to me at least, that U.S. is expected to do "A", and it was not enough, not soon enough or too much but this also pertains to a lot of the U.S. citizens as well.

Just because your "perception" or information you have received tints the glasses you are wearing doesn't mean it is true. It is not impossible to have a intelligent argument with some one who hates in a broad spectrum.

Jeez that is what I get for typing on a 6 year old laptop...

Announcers just mentioned that when Webb Simpson shanked one, the Euro fans in attendance were on Simpson hard for several holes.  How can that be? We've been assured that all Euro fans would NEVER do such a thing.

I was watching Twitter when the final putt went down.

Not a lot of class from Euro fans:  #suckitamerica, #yousuckamerica, #europerules, #usa_overrated

Euros chanting while Tiger was trying to finish, etc.

Note:  I am NOT saying that the US would have been any better behaved had we won.  I am saying the supposed European-fan good sportsmanship is not there.

But as far as the match goes, congratulations Europe - you definitely earned that one.

Announcers just mentioned that when Webb Simpson shanked one, the Euro fans in attendance were on Simpson hard for several holes.  How can that be? We've been assured that all Euro fans would NEVER do such a thing.

Yup...just ask Colin Montgomerie.

Personally I've long ago tired of hearing all this euro-rubbish about sportsmanship, fairplay etc....

So let me get some of this off my chest here:

1. First off, Seve pulled just about every cheap ploy concievable in Ryder Cup play....he LOVED f'ing head games and gamesmanship...and Sergio has inherited some of that trait from his mentor...

2. Perhaps Phil would have been more effective in that clutch match with Rose were he less nice and supportive  and more focused on thrashing his a **   ....a bit more Tiger-style aloofness couldnt have hurt.

just sayin'

Seriously?

Why write all that?  Why not just write "I hate all Americans?"

I think you did a great job of illustrating my point however.

Because I don't 'hate' Americans. Not to thrilled with your governments both past and present, but 'hate' you? Nah.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

I was watching Twitter when the final putt went down.

Not a lot of class from Euro fans:  #suckitamerica, #yousuckamerica, #europerules, #usa_overrated

Euros chanting while Tiger was trying to finish, etc.

Note:  I am NOT saying that the US would have been any better behaved had we won.  I am saying the supposed European-fan good sportsmanship is not there.

But as far as the match goes, congratulations Europe - you definitely earned that one.

You poor boy. This must hurt you a lot. There, there.

Honestly, after all the shit Chicago sprayed at our team, cheering every poor shot or missed putt, giving McIlroy and McDowell crap on the first mornig on the 2nd hole, booing players. And historically...spitting at players wives, abusing them, dancing on greens before Olazabal putts...nah. Suck on it.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Wow.  Really?  Seriously?  Man, it's going to be hard to sleep tonight after reading that.

The same stuff will happen in Europe.

Of course we don't wear panties, nay "knickers," so we won't ask for an investigation over it, and the UK press darn sure won't report it, because, you know, those things don't happen in Europe.

BTW, how's birdman doing?

Quote:
Suck on it.

There's that Euro class!

Note: This thread is 4183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!