IGNORED

Americans and Brits Shouting!

Jimmy3putts
Note: This thread is 4210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Regardless of whether it was an American (which I don't get, judging from the accent) or not, for a Brit (whom I've done everything I can to defend in this thread, since the vast majority that I met when I lived there aren't so pigheaded as to think that all Americans act and think a certain way) to be arrogant enough to think that this kind of thing would never happen at a sporting event in the U.K. as respectable as the Ryder Cup, might I remind you of a story that came out after the London Olympics this year?  Oh, and don't you dare try to pull some crap excuse about how the Olympics don't carry the same weight as the Ryder Cup when it comes to expectations of fan behavior.

http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/cycling-london-2012/aussie-cyclists-parents-verbally-abused-by-brits-20120803-23kut.html

Originally Posted by dave67az

I hate to say it, fellas, but whomever shouted that had a very distinguishable NON-American accent.

To me, he's a yobbo of indeterminate origin.  Those types exist everywhere.

I would give them ONE warning, with name taken and entered into a yobbo database.  If it happens again at that course, that week or in the future, OUT YOU GO.

[No refund]

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

To me, he's a yobbo of indeterminate origin.  Those types exist everywhere ....

Oh I agree, he's an idiot and every country has them.  I just think it's odd that since we know for a fact that MANY people traveled from other countries to the U.S. for the RC, and since this guy's voice doesn't sound like the typical American who shouts at our PGA events (seriously, have you ever heard any odd accents shouting things like "mashed potatoes" or "go in the hole"?), I find it amazing that we just automatically ignore his accent and assume he must have been an American because no visitor would yell F*CK like that.

Oh wait...I do know of an American who happens to do some pretty good impersonations of foreign accents.  Maybe it was Azinger!

LOL

I have to say "not guilty" without further evidence.  Not obviously american I would agree but that doesn't mean much.

My uncle would say it was a "false flag" attack, but then again he believes in Crop Circles/UFOs/Chemtrails/etc etc.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Well, there were apparently Euro fans there (are we allowed to assume that some were from somewhere outside the U.S.?) as they made their presence known after the win...

'The European fans gathered around the 18th green to enjoy the moment. The departing fans taunted by one group with a chant of "10-6 and you f*cked it up".'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/sep/30/ryder-cup-2012-bubba-watson

Originally Posted by Jimmy3putts

There is a Welsh Open, a Scottish Open and an Irish Open but alas, no British Open. The so called British Open is often mistakenly called so by ignorant Americans (Nevets88) who are not bright enough to differentiate between the US Open and the one held across "The pond" in Britain, The Open Championship. We gave you this wonderful game and look what you are doing to it. You know, the same sort of people who shout "get in the hole" while standing with their super-sized coke resting on their even bigger waist lines at the tee of a par 5. Invading greens in The Ryder Cup, giving us The circus (JD), War on the Shore..... need I go on? No, I won't.

Incidently Netvets88, check out the attendance figures for this years Open Championship.

I usually try to remain restrained on this forum but I don't like getting called an ignorant American. If it were not for Americans you'd be speaking German now.

Butch

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

I usually try to remain restrained on this forum but I don't like getting called an ignorant American. If it were not for Americans you'd be speaking German now.

Another person who has not been taught history very well.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I hate to say it, fellas, but whomever shouted that had a very distinguishable NON-American accent.

Are you sure it wasn't "For you, Seve!"?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Its amazing to me how upset you people get over the spectators.

I would probably vote this as the worst thread I've seen on this forum.  It started with a discussion of "mashed potatoes", then it turned into a discussion of what the "proper" way to watch golf is, and now its completely devolved into arguing over whether Europeans should thank americans for a war that ended about 65 years ago or whether Americans are too arrogant to learn to speak french.  You've got to have something better to do with your time.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess my point is this. When Arnie dies and we are in the middle of a Ryder Cup, how great would you feel about having '**** you Arnie' being broadcast all over the world? Throw them out. Get rid of these people.

If you think that's a European voice, there's no helping you.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Originally Posted by Monte the Bear

I guess my point is this. When Arnie dies and we are in the middle of a Ryder Cup, how great would you feel about having '**** you Arnie' being broadcast all over the world? Throw them out. Get rid of these people.

If you think that's a European voice, there's no helping you.

If you think that moron who yelled doesn't have a NON-American accent, you're deaf.

If you think that moron who yelled doesn't have a NON-American accent, you're deaf.

orly?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/1001/sport/birdies-best-way-to-silence-the-yobs-209470.html

We can't all be genius's can we? Let's just agree that there's no place for this.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

orly?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/1001/sport/birdies-best-way-to-silence-the-yobs-209470.html

We can't all be genius's can we? Let's just agree that there's no place for this.

One step ahead of you, genius.  I wrote Simon today to ask whether there was a source that actually saw the supposed American or if it was just an assumption because it was in Chicago.  You will notice that though all the British papers are reporting it was an American, they admit that there's an "investigation" to determine who did it.  Does that sound to you like they know who did it and what nationality he was?

You're right, though.  There's no more place for this kind of yelling at an international event than there is verbal abuse at the London Olympics, or arrogant people who routinely stereotype people from other countries.  Hint hint.

One step ahead of you, genius.  I wrote Simon today to ask whether there was a source that actually saw the supposed American or if it was just an assumption because it was in Chicago.  You will notice that though all the British papers are reporting it was an American, they admit that there's an "investigation" to determine who did it.  Does that sound to you like they know who did it and what nationality he was?

You're right, though.  There's no more place for this kind of yelling at an international event than there is verbal abuse at the London Olympics, or arrogant people who routinely stereotype people from other countries.  Hint hint.

Actually that was an Irish newspaper. An investigation eh? Good luck with that.

At the Olympics, we had a number of incidents - they all got dealt with the culprits being thrown out and locked up. I look forward to whoever shouted this getting the same treatment...oh wait. Too late. Snap.

I'd respond to the comments regarding arrogance and stereotyping but I have to reset my sarcasm detector and recalibrate my chuckle-o-meter.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Reminds me of my last trip to England. While in London, and after having a few pints, I forgot that the custom there is not to tip waiters and bartenders. I was called a "feckin'merican" by the chap behind the bar who I had just tipped.

The icing on the cake was when I learned that I look distinctly American to the Brits when a lorrie drove 'round the corner of a London street with some yahoo hanging half out the left side window who flipped us the bird and yelled "Feck George Bush"

To use the vernacular of my southern US friends, I felt about as welcomed as a muddy dog at a church weddin'"

I've heard similar crap and disgust in just about every European nation I've visited except for Portugal and Spain, but I didn't spend enough time there to really give those people a chance to hate on me.

"There's good in the worst of us, and bad in the best of us, and it hardly behooves any of us to talk about the rest of us."

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Another person who has not been taught history very well.

here we go again, i know there were others helping... blah blah blah.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

At the Olympics, we had a number of incidents - they all got dealt with the culprits being thrown out and locked up. I look forward to whoever shouted this getting the same treatment...oh wait. Too late. Snap.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123

And, for the benefit of the disabled, I'll repeat my position. What you do this week, what you think is OK, what you allow, gets magnified in two years. That's my issue. It ends up getting stupid, childish, like that cretin who was making Hannibal Lecter sucking noises as Rose lined up his bunker shot.

And then two years after that it gets worse. To the point that it's probably going to be considered not worth playing.

I'm not worked up over the cretin's in your crowd, but I fail to see how you can just let them get on with it. That's just letting your standards of behavior fail the game.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Note: This thread is 4210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!