IGNORED

Americans and Brits Shouting!

Jimmy3putts
Note: This thread is 4210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I don't mind going to a football or hockey game and having people cheer or even throw out an emotionally charged profanity every once in a while.  What I find annoying is that the people yelling stupid phrases at golf events aren't emotionally connected to what's going on, they are just yelling things to bring attention to themselves.

I understand what you're getting at. I just can't be upset about something that I cannot control so I don't let it bother me. It's like the guy who waits until he is 200 feet away from his exit on the highway to cut through 2 lanes of traffic with no blinker. It is equally as annoying as the guy who wears his Rickie Fowler-esque puma outfit to the mall or a restaurant. You can't teach common sense or control what those who lack it are doing, so I can't concern myself with it or let it bother me.

The exception, for me, is if I paid to attend the event and it was going on. At that point, I would be in the right to say something if I chose to... but I probably still would just laugh and shake my head.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Well there has to be a distinction. "You da man" has been a staple for many years. Certainly one could say that "Mashed Potatoes" smacks of disestablishmentarianism.

Of course!  There is totally a difference, but it still cracked me up.

And I think you are going to win this months Sand Trap award for longest word!  They have an award for that, right?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok ok ok, I apologise to all you Americans over there for my aggressive and rude approach. You lot really are a pretty good bunch and I was wound up by one particular nob and responded with stereotypes of my own when he said we were all a bunch of unemployed ........

Sorry and I will try to be more friendly in future.

However, the "Get in the hole" plonker still needs a kick in the nuts.

I think someone should scream out, "SCRAMBLED EGGS!!!!!"

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

I'm old enough to recall fans only applauding winners in tennis and sitting quietly when someone hit a ball out -- except at the Italian Open where they cheered everything; even double faults. The cheering then moved to the US events and British events were the last where fans applauded every point.

But shouting out has not become common in the tennis events I watch on TV. And it is amazing that fans are quiet during points in tennis and pre-shot stuff in golf.

My daughter played high school tennis and the coach would come and admonish team members and parents if they cheered a bad shot by an opponent.  Alas, the coaches of some of the teams they played did no such thing, but our coach kept it classy.

Was it just me or did anyone else hear them yelling, "Bangers and Mash!"?

Damn Americans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy3putts

Actually it is called "The Open".

Pedantic nonsense driven by the decline of Britain from the greatest power in the world to a third rate country.  If calling it the British Open was good enough for Bobby Jones and Jack Nicklaus (which they both did in their respective books), it is good enough for me.

Originally Posted by CraiginKSA

Oh, and go ahead and make a crack about how fat we are, we'll go ahead and own that.  If we weren't so fat we probably would have rolled into London and taken every single medal offered instead of just dominating the games (as we always do) and making it our own personal curb stomping of the rest of the world.

Americans are fat and stupid.  Yet we just won the Olympics, as you said, and we just landed something on Mars.  LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey71

I think someone should scream out, "SCRAMBLED EGGS!!!!!"

You can hear waitresses yell it out every day,

At Denny's.  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

I'm old enough to recall fans only applauding winners in tennis and sitting quietly when someone hit a ball out -- except at the Italian Open where they cheered everything; even double faults. The cheering then moved to the US events and British events were the last where fans applauded every point.

But shouting out has not become common in the tennis events I watch on TV. And it is amazing that fans are quiet during points in tennis and pre-shot stuff in golf.

Along this line, I watched some of the Olympic volleyball, when we got a break from the damn gymnasts doing the same stupid routines in the same stupid  events for the seventh consective day.  Now I've never liked that "team peppiness" crap that women's volleyball has adopted over the past decade or two where the entire team has to hug, pat, butt-slap, congratualte and physically console each other after every freakin' point.  But now the men are doing it too, and it is utterly ridiculous to see them hugging each other like a bunch of teenage girls all trying to prove who is the "nicest" and "friendliest."  And even worse, in pretty much every Olympic volleyball match I saw, mens or womens, the receviing team ran to the center and gave themselves congratulatory hugs when the other team hit their serve into the net. Think about that - the other team made a purely unforced error that had nothing whatsoever to do with any skills or judgment displayed by the receiving team, and the receiving team celebrated.  That traditionally has always been a sign of poor sportsmanship - to celebrate the opponent's unforced error but somehow the teams themselves are doing it in volleyball these days.  That would be the equivalent of a pro golfer and his/her caddy yelling "YESSS!!!!!" and hugging in celebration when the other golfer hits into deep rough or a bunker on the 4th hole of the second day of a tournament.

Guys who yell stuff after or during a tee shot at a pro tournament are self-absorbed attention hounds and ass-clowns.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Spyder

Quick, off-topic but somewhat related, history fact.

The United States of America entered World War II in December of 1941 and practically gave London back to England with the help of allies, literally shortening the war unquestionably and nearly single handed. We also have leased many Naval Destroyers to the UK and gave thousands upon thousands of tons of warfare equipment, industrial infrastructure, machines used in trade-skill, railroads, aircraft, etc. The least that you could do is "allow us" to play your invitation only sport, I suppose.

Don't be so hard on "us Americans" for having some fun and freshening up an otherwise snooty sport with a few laughs and shouts. Hearing "Mashed Potato!" in your country is a hell of a lot better than the German you would hear, no?

I don't really want to get into an argument on this but I hate to inform you that, yes, the U.S. helped immensely but in actual fact Stalin's legions had already broken the back of the German Army in Russia. The rest of the Allies (all of them) only just stopped them annexing all of Europe. Just to stir the pot a bit, was that the real reason why Uncle Sam joined the European theatre ?

Maybe you could have come up with the A-bomb in time w/o our help and initial work....but then again, maybe not.

Thanks for the materiel but we did pay you for it after all - in fact, I think we only finished paying for it (with interest I imagine) a few years ago - one might have thought you'd have given the odd destroyer etc or two to us?

The U.S. did not "practically give London back to England" as there's no way the Nazis would have succeeded with any invasion w/o compromising all their other theatres.

If the U.S. had not bothered to give us the pleasure of their presence then, if anything, I suspect it'd be Russian we'd have had to put up with as our first language don't you think?

We've been mutual allies through many scrapes, for the better as a rule I think, does it matter whose dick is bigger?

Now, can we all agree that the OP is a WUM? There are idiots in all Countries (inc. the OP) - some of them even shout shite during golf tournaments.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

TO ALL FOREIGNERS I WILL END THIS NOW: i am done. i can't keep getting updates from this thread. why do you all constantly just hate on america if we didn't pull all of your asses out of the crap you people get into you would all be dead. If we never had entered world war 2 you would all be eating sauerkraut and speaking german instead of drinking tea and making fun of america. so next time you walk out of your little east london flat remember who got you there. america

Originally Posted by Jimmy3putts

Ok ok ok, I apologise to all you Americans over there for my aggressive and rude approach. You lot really are a pretty good bunch and I was wound up by one particular nob and responded with stereotypes of my own when he said we were all a bunch of unemployed ........

Sorry and I will try to be more friendly in future.

However, the "Get in the hole" plonker still needs a kick in the nuts.

Originally Posted by firstorlast

TO ALL FOREIGNERS I WILL END THIS NOW: i am done. i can't keep getting updates from this thread. why do you all constantly just hate on america if we didn't pull all of your asses out of the crap you people get into you would all be dead. If we never had entered world war 2 you would all be eating sauerkraut and speaking german instead of drinking tea and making fun of america. so next time you walk out of your little east london flat remember who got you there. america

This is way off topic, I know.

I spent 5 years in England.  Loved it there.  Embraced the cultural differences.  Even though I was there with the USAF, I lived off base for most of my time there.  Got to know my neighbors.  Even played golf with one of them a few times.  Had some interesting conversations about those cultural differences.

I was also embarrassed on many occasions by other Americans who weren't as adept at embracing the fact that they were in a different country.  Some of my "friends" seemed to have a chip on their shoulder and acted as though they were somehow better than the Brits because they "we saved their asses in WW2" and "they'd be speaking German if it weren't for us", etc. etc.  One of my friends found was simply "amazed" that she could never find iced tea.  When we would go out to a pub for dinner, she would insist on ordering it anyway and then making fun of them for not having it.  I had another "friend" who constantly complained about how they do things differently, put different things on their pizza at British Pizza Huts, the chicken at KFC doesn't taste the same, etc etc.  One guy sat in the dorms and never did anything on weekends.  There's never anything to do.  I pointed out all the travel, historic buildings/castles, etc.  "Who wants to go around and look at a bunch of old rocks?"

I never had a Brit treat me badly.  I never had a Brit act condescending to me.  I was always greeted with courtesy everywhere I went, and often with curiosity after my accent was heard.  Brits know a lot more about America than Americans know about England, just so you know.  Turns out every one I ran into had to take American History in school and they must have paid attention in class.  They knew more about American politics and governmental procedures than many Americans I've known.  But I never heard them insulting us the way many of my fellow Americans insulted them and their way of life.

Having said all that, here's my point.  Arrogance is juvenile.  If you think you're better because your ancestors saved the Brits' asses in World War II, you should be equally ashamed at how your ancestors came to a country that already had a native population, planted a flag and claimed it as their own, waged war on said native population, killed off some of them with disease-infested blankets, and rounded up the remnants of that civilization onto the most useless pieces of land they could find and said "You can live here from now on."  There are a LOT of things to be proud of when it comes to America--England too, for that matter--but to think that one is superior to the other is asinine.

Sorry for the rant.

I've never been good at holding back when I think someone needs a good ass-chewing.

- Dave

• Upvote 2

Sorry, but feel I need to apologize for the tone of that post if it came across wrong.

I'm new here, and I really don't want to ruffle feathers.  My apologies if I did.

I need to worry more about my golf game than get involved with threads that have inflammatory titles like this one.

Someone remind me of that next time I shoot off my mouth, please?  :-)

- Dave

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Of course!  There is totally a difference, but it still cracked me up.

And I think you are going to win this months Sand Trap award for longest word!  They have an award for that, right?

Well if they do, I claim it.  I'm all for antidisestablishmentarianism.  :-)

- Dave

Well if they do, I claim it.  I'm all for antidisestablishmentarianism.  :-) - Dave

I completely understand its just all I hear all day is how much America sucks and we are a great country and also because we have people like you in our armed forces who love this country. No harm meant.

No need to apologize I found everything you stated to be quite accurate and warranted.  Welcome

Originally Posted by dave67az

Sorry, but feel I need to apologize for the tone of that post if it came across wrong.

I'm new here, and I really don't want to ruffle feathers.  My apologies if I did.

I need to worry more about my golf game than get involved with threads that have inflammatory titles like this one.

Someone remind me of that next time I shoot off my mouth, please?  :-)

- Dave

Joe Paradiso

Well if they do, I claim it.  I'm all for antidisestablishmentarianism.  :-) - Dave

Please don't. I suffer from an acute case of hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by firstorlast

I completely understand its just all I hear all day is how much America sucks and we are a great country and also because we have people like you in our armed forces who love this country. No harm meant.

I hear ya and I do understand.  I mean, with all the arguing, bickering, and petty insults being thrown around right now (I HATE election years) I think a lot of us are tired of hearing about what sucks in this country.  The negativity from both sides is hard to ignore.  Add to that an inflammatory thread title and a few comments that probably weren't very well thought out (ahem) and I can see why you reacted that way.  So no harm taken.  Just know that Jimmy's initial comments certainly don't represent anything I heard, saw, or felt when I was there, that's for sure.

I've been out for so little compared to how long I was in (22 years active, retired now for 18 months) that I still feel like I'm in.  I could step back into my job and still do it as well as I did it last year (or so I think).  I do miss it, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  And every time I get thanked, I turn it right back around.  It's the thankful people, the ones that actually appreciate the military, that make it all worthwhile (and I'm pretty sure anyone who has served who has been thanked by someone feels the same way).  You guys make it easier for us tolerate the idiots (like the funeral protestors from that church whose name I won't even mention).  So thank you!  :-)

Please don't. I suffer from an acute case of hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

Hey, that's no fair!
I thought mine was the longest word ever (remembered that from high school English class back in the 80s).

Guess I should have Googled first eh?  :-)

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!