Jump to content
IGNORED

Poorly run golf courses...I witnessed one last Friday.


Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Slightly off-topic yet still has to do with courses/time.  I haven't been to a course that uses both 1 and 10 to tee off but wouldn't there be a logjam at 1 when groups from the back nine are ready to play the front and also when those who teed off on 1 are headed to the back nine?  Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, if I understand this right, it boils down to you being ticked off that the course allowed a large group of golfers out ahead of you? And that they furthermore became upset when you "made an execu

Wow man.  With all due respect I have no idea what that says..

You should not have gone to hole 10.

Originally Posted by Spyder

You have a point in that most Starters/Rangers act like they personally own the course or wrote the handbook in regards to the flow of the course and pace of play.

I personally never have experiences like this while out on the course though and I guess I may be in the lucky minority. However, I do know that I start off cracking jokes and being overly polite and friendly to people - regardless of the look on their face, or their attitude when I approach them. The nastier they seem to be, the nicer I am. Though, I often will be even more friendly in a sarcastic way.. but the point is that I roll with the punches (if there are any) and make crappy situations better by doing so. I'm just a strong believer that you put yourself in certain situations and it is up to you to get out of it.

If I were him, I would have never even gone out further past he point of being asked if I could be jumped by someone who skipped a hole. I would most definitely tell them "No, I'm sorry." and explain that I play at a fast enough pace to not be a burden to anyone behind me. It takes a lot to get me fired up because I don't let things that I can't control piss me off and I don't understand how/why other people function in their daily life doing the opposite. Not that the OP is like this (I don't know them obviously), but I would make a call to the club house and see if I can get a fresh 6 pack on ice delivered to me  and make the best out of it. When you're waiting 10-20 minutes per tee, your game is probably going to be effected adversely anyway. Cracking a few cold ones at that point would be how I choose to kill the time while minding my business.

Also, $20 is a fairly cheap rate. I hate to say it.... but how much are you expecting when you play 18 holes @ $20.00 and some change?

+1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by kymonopoly

Slightly off-topic yet still has to do with courses/time.  I haven't been to a course that uses both 1 and 10 to tee off but wouldn't there be a logjam at 1 when groups from the back nine are ready to play the front and also when those who teed off on 1 are headed to the back nine?  Thanks

Usually, any course who tees off both 9's does it early in the morning and then has a break in tee times to get things back to normal and allow for the groups coming off the back to make their way to the front without it being backed up.

The ones who'll be coming off the front 9 won't have any problems because it'll be just like the normal course of play.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by kymonopoly

Slightly off-topic yet still has to do with courses/time.  I haven't been to a course that uses both 1 and 10 to tee off but wouldn't there be a logjam at 1 when groups from the back nine are ready to play the front and also when those who teed off on 1 are headed to the back nine?  Thanks

As mentioned usually happens early in the morning and in my experience is offered to people coming in that just want to play 9. They get them out before anyone is making the turn. They also put us out on the back when the ladies league is out, it's a 9 hole league. On those days playing 18 means playing the back twice. I'll ask to tee off 10 once in a while just because I usually play the front. I only have time for 9 during the week. They will let me if they can fit it in but ask that I let anyone making the turn play through that may catch me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've learned many golf lessons the hard way........

One lesson:

When playing an away course (especially if not playing at the crack of dawn).........is to ask if there will be any events or groups on the course when making the tee time .  If you ask, they will tell you........

This same lesson should apply to spring and fall aeration!!! .....if you don't ask, they will not tell you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This same lesson should apply to spring and fall aeration!!! .....if you don't ask, they will not tell you.

Good courses will volunteer that. Unfortunately, those courses are too few and far between! When I find one though, they get a lot of my business.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All the courses I play post info about aeration, repairs, tournament and league play, whatever on their website. Recently played a course I've not been to and they had an alert on their site that a few greens had been damaged due to vandalism. Because of that they were offering discounted rates. Some of the places that require an on-line profile to book a tee time send email alerts about course issues. Comes with the coupons and other spam.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know that I ever called a course to book a tee time........and they offered up the fact that they just aerated days before.

May be a regional thing, but it's actually common enough that I'm not surprised when it happens down here. I agree though, always best to ask in spring/fall. Tip off is often dramatically reduced rates......

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

All the courses I play post info about aeration, repairs, tournament and league play, whatever on their website. Recently played a course I've not been to and they had an alert on their site that a few greens had been damaged due to vandalism. Because of that they were offering discounted rates. Some of the places that require an on-line profile to book a tee time send email alerts about course issues. Comes with the coupons and other spam.

i just got a facebook update that a local course is aerating and they'll be making the twilight rate the standard rate for the next few weeks to make up for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by David in FL

So, if I understand this right, it boils down to you being ticked off that the course allowed a large group of golfers out ahead of you? And that they furthermore became upset when you "made an executive decision" and decided to jump in front of other players out on the course. Finally, they only credited you with the actual amount you paid for the round in the first place.

Wow. How dare they?!

Originally Posted by ApocG10

This is what I get out of it. He was too impatient to wait to play, and is upset that the world does not cater to him. You jumped to a hole you should not have been playing. Your position on the course is directly behind the people in front f you. I dont see whyt they nmeed to inform yu a team is practicing. You did not even wait to see if they were keeping pace, you just made an 'executive' decision and jumped to a hole you shuld not have been on, and got angry because it was pointed out to yu. To me, I dont see how the course was poorly run, or why you think you deserved more than your full refund.

You both are wrong.

I wanted a later tee time and they forced me to go 12:46.  OK, fine, that's the way it is and I accept.  I'm upset because I get there and WAS NOT TOLD about the large groups (walkers!) and the mess on the Front 9 when I paid.  For the record, I've been told almost every time at other courses when something like this goes on.  I decide to stay and accept it, or leave, or ask to play the other side of the course.

So, I play the first hole.  I move onto the second hole, and THEN I find out about the giant mess from the other golfers (NOT the staff!).  I make the mistake of playing the Back 9.  I'm not sure if I was actually "kicked off" but my friend just wanted to end the hassle and get our money back.  So, we go back to the clubhouse and the pro KNOWS it's a big mess out there.  We we're the only ones who got refunded.  Yet he STILL collects new players' money and sends them off to join the mess, which they'll later figure out in about 20 minutes.  The starter also KNOWS it's a mess, but he's wandering around the course trying to sort it out, so no one was even at the Back 9 when we tee'd off.  We got reported by the 4-some behind us, who apparently had exclusive rights and "could not be held up at all" in the eyes of the pro/course.  Total chaos, and insulting too!

I'm sorry, but I just think it's a cheap way to collect peoples money, especially when they KNOW it's a disaster all-around.  It pisses me off even more because I had the day off and could have went anywhere, but I really like(d) this course.  Key word:  Liked.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You both are wrong. I wanted a later tee time and they forced me to go 12:46.  OK, fine, that's the way it is and I accept.  I'm upset because I get there and WAS NOT TOLD about the large groups (walkers!) and the mess on the Front 9 when I paid.  For the record, I've been told almost every time at other courses when something like this goes on.  I decide to stay and accept it, or leave, or ask to play the other side of the course. So, I play the first hole.  I move onto the second hole, and THEN I find out about the giant mess from the other golfers (NOT the staff!).  I make the mistake of playing the Back 9.  I'm not sure if I was actually "kicked off" but my friend just wanted to end the hassle and get our money back.  So, we go back to the clubhouse and the pro KNOWS it's a big mess out there.  We we're the only ones who got refunded.  Yet he STILL collects new players' money and sends them off to join the mess, which they'll later figure out in about 20 minutes.  The starter also KNOWS it's a mess, but he's wandering around the course trying to sort it out, so no one was even at the Back 9 when we tee'd off.  We got reported by the 4-some behind us, who apparently had exclusive rights and "could not be held up at all" in the eyes of the pro/course.  Total chaos, and insulting too! I'm sorry, but I just think it's a cheap way to collect peoples money, especially when they KNOW it's a disaster all-around.  It pisses me off even more because I had the day off and could have went anywhere, but I really like(d) this course.  Key word:  Liked.

Yep. Exactly how I understood it the first time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The course is trying to make money. They make money with green fees.

You paid $20.

This is nuts.

You didn't even run into the group out front, you assumed you would be held up by the "mess". And by mess, I mean group of other golfers on the public golf course.

You got your money back, STFU. You might want to pick up a different hobby.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by David in FL

So, if I understand this right, it boils down to you being ticked off that the course allowed a large group of golfers out ahead of you? And that they furthermore became upset when you "made an executive decision" and decided to jump in front of other players out on the course. Finally, they only credited you with the actual amount you paid for the round in the first place.

Wow. How dare they?!

I agree. They offered a full price credit for the cost of the round, that's all they had to do. The muni course I play all the time is also the home course for area high schools and sometimes gets backed up with kids. When one side of the course is slammed, the staff is really good about letting us start off/move to the back 9 if we ask. Just deciding to jump ahead is most likely what pissed them off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by formula428

I move onto the second hole, and THEN I find out about the giant mess from the other golfers (NOT the staff!).  I make the mistake of playing the Back 9.  I'm not sure if I was actually "kicked off" but my friend just wanted to end the hassle and get our money back.  So, we go back to the clubhouse and the pro KNOWS it's a big mess out there.  We we're the only ones who got refunded.  Yet he STILL collects new players' money and sends them off to join the mess, which they'll later figure out in about 20 minutes.  The starter also KNOWS it's a mess, but he's wandering around the course trying to sort it out, so no one was even at the Back 9 when we tee'd off.  We got reported by the 4-some behind us, who apparently had exclusive rights and "could not be held up at all" in the eyes of the pro/course.  Total chaos, and insulting too!

I'm sorry, but I just think it's a cheap way to collect peoples money, especially when they KNOW it's a disaster all-around.  It pisses me off even more because I had the day off and could have went anywhere, but I really like(d) this course.  Key word:  Liked.

I don't understand how you can say it was a "mess" you didn't even see the high school golfers.  For all you know they might have been playing at a reasonable pace.  They might have only been planning on playing the front 9 in that case you might have been slowed up a little when you caught them on hole 5 or 6 but by 9 you would have had the back 9 wide open to you.

How dare that 4 some think they had the exclusive right to not have some random 2 some jump in front of them because they wanted to.  You sound like the type of guy that wouldn't mind at all if a group jumped in front of you and inconvenienced you because they wanted to.  The fact that they saw you means that the back 9 was not wide open.  Before you say "it was wide open in front of us they wouldn't have seen us after the 10th hole."  They must have seen the group in front of them sometime during the round otherwise they wouldn't know that you were not the group that was supposed to be in front of them.

It amazes me how many times a twosome will ask to play through when the course is full and there is nowhere to go.  If a foursome clears the green and gets to the next tee box and the 2 some can hit their approach shots chip and putt out and get to the tee before the 4 some can hit drives. Chances are the 4 some had to wait for the group in front of them, or they should be drug out in the street and shot for incompetence.  Don't ask to play through unless you can see that their is no one in front of them.  I know when I play with 3 friends when the the course is backed up we might linger on the tee together, rather than hit our tee shots the instant the group in front is out of range and than stand over our second shots with our hands on our hips waiting for the green to clear.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with most of the folks here:  you have no position to complain.

You called for a same-day tee time, on a Friday afternoon, and were given limited options.  Unbelievable.

Other people were on the course ahead of you.  Unbelievable.

You personally decided to jump to the back nine, and the course staff told you that wasn't allowed.  Unbelievable.

They were only willing to refund you the amount of money you actually paid.  Unbelievable.

And, a good course which offers a $20 (with cart) rate at noon on a Friday in the middle of summer was crowded.  Totally unbelievable.

If you want to have the run of the course, I suggest you either buy your own, or join a limited membership private club.  Otherwise, you'll just have to accept that other people might be on the course, and the course staff might want to control how and when you play in order to accommodate EVERYONE who comes out to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • USO on Peacock now and there's just so much announcing. SHUT UP! And ads. Lots of ads.
    • Yeah and like trendy youngsters, those guys used phrases like "lack of imagination," "it has no soul," "no memorability," "it's all vanilla," "such a waste," and other amorphous sentiments. The only objective factors they pointed to was a) that the course is just really flat (in the literal sense) from the tee through the green and that b) there is only like one dogleg. I suppose those two are fair points. I haven't played it except on TW PGA Tour video games. They also said something like only 20% of the field has a chance--isn't that the case at most majors?
    • So take away the blade into the hazard and you shot 76? I don't care if that's from the Orange or Green tees that differential is either 2.5 or 4 performance.  It sounds to me aside from the one bladed shot, it was a solid round!   
    • You mean that I don't like the taste? Yeah, so? Tried some here locally. Want to see how the authentic stuff tastes.. 😊
    • I play in a 9 hole league on Wednesday with a longtime friend who...is not good. You have to use 2 of each guys drives, and we routinely take his that barely makes the fairway on 1 over mine that is a hundred yards further up because it takes the pressure off him and he plays better...well, this week he was out with injury and a co-worker joined me. I was up front with the league director and my opponents for this week (2-man scramble, match play) that I was bringing a ringer. (Last I checked he was a +1...he varies between scratch and +2)  It became a running joke to the point that on 8 when I sunk a putt, I did a fist pump and said "contribution!" laughing and they said, "yeah that is what...1 drive and 1 putt for you?" cool guys we all had fun.    Anyhow, it was illuminating to me. Hole 1 he had a natural birdie, and it was each shot that made it. His drive was maybe 10 yards longer but also 5 yards more accurate than mine. His approach gave us an 8' birdie putt, mine was on the fringe. I would have parred the hole most likely playing my own ball.  I had teed off first and went with a shorter club for a "safety" shot. After the hole, he kind of looked at me, said "you are good enough to use your driver, especially in a scramble." Lesson: I have grown used to hitting "safe" shots instead of hitting the correct shot. That leaves longer shots to the green which, while within my capability, are harder than if I hit a confident driver off the tee. I need to play with confidence.   Second hole, I thought he knew where the water was but he didn't. I had...lets be generous and call it a suboptimal drive, he rinsed his. We were left with a blind shot over a tree covered hill to a green running 45 degrees, roughly 163 to the center. I thought I had hit a pretty good shot but of course we could not see the result, he goes, we get up to the green...our balls were about 6' apart, both on the green but in likely 2 putt area. And we both did leave it where a 2-putt happened.  Lesson: actually 3-fold. First, course knowledge is very valuable. Had he taken the right line, he was likely on the green. Second, a bad shot doesn't kill the hole. After my skyball drive, we still both parred. 3rd, while not consistently, I am getting to where I can hit a shot that is within shouting distance. I think it was 4 times in the round that our balls came to rest within just a few feet of each other. Hole 3 is downhill par 3 with water behind the green. I hit what I thought was a good shot that I was happy with, landing back edge of green. He was just past the pin and maybe 12' left of it. Both likely 2 putts, but again his was enough better to be worth a half stroke.   Lesson: I did not want to look incompetent and sometimes struggle with my PW, so a 150 yard downhill shot, when I should take the PW, I go long. He hits the correct club. I made great contact and the club went where designed. Hit the correct club. Hit the correct club. Hit the correct club. Goes back to the lesson on hole 1, play with confidence and hit the correct club. I may still be mad at myself about this one.  Hole 4 he again outdrove me but it was a location I can get to length wise...but because of the creek on the right, I tend to miss further left leaving me on the hillside with ball beneath my feet.  However, on this one, the outdrive was because I massively overswung trying to hit as far as he does, lost my tempo and lost a huge amount of distance. He then hit one of his very few bad shots of the day, chunking his wedge. Mine hit the green and the slope carried it off into the fringe. We did get up and down after I chipped it close. Huzzah, contribution! Lesson:  Play my game. Play it with confidence, but play my game. I can't hit it as far as he can. I should not be taking the same club as he is, I should not try to hit his shots. I should hit mine, with confidence.   Hole 5 he stuck it to about 4' and had another natural par. Nothing to see here, it was just awesome watching the gorgeous hole. I guess the lesson is a tautology, good players play good. I occasionally stick it close on a par 3 and generally make the putt. He often sticks it close...   Hole 6, long par 5 to an elevated green. He again outdrove me by 30 yards or so, I am on right side of fairway in the rough on a hill. He is left of fairway. However, on this particular hole, that leaves a narrow shot to the green from where he was and a miss long or right is likely a lost ball, a miss left is in the forest barring a lucky bounce whereas mine had an angle that widened the green. I really wanted to take my shot, left us I think 223 uphill. But I did not want to suggest a longer shot from not the fairway. He actually suggested taking mine because of the angle. I hit my hybrid toward the left side knowing it slants right, actually got into it a bit and ended up on the fringe at the back. I was thrilled with that shot. Because he is better than me, of course he put his on the green leaving us a 20' eagle putt.  both of us came close, he a bit closer, and we birdied the hole.  Lesson: Actually it was one that reinforced something. I was not confident in suggesting we take mine, but the angle and probable outcome of the next shot mattered. Course positioning meant my miss played well and part of that was my initial line. I know anything left of the dead center fairway leaves a tight angle and even centerish is not necessarily fun. Where I am at on my approach shot matters. I need to be more aware of that. I tend to normally start further left on this hole because of how wide the fairway is but knowing I want to come in from the right...better angles have better results.    Hole 7 is another par 5. My drive was again 20 yards shorter than his, we both had really good second shots...but his was pin high, another eagle putt. Using either of ours would have been natural birdie but his was just a little better each time...fun to watch. Hole 8 he just had a titanic drive, I could not compete with. This was another one where both chips gave us about a 6' putt. I called my shot on this one, "I am going to contribute" and drained it at which point the opponents (who were 2 under themselves) made their crack. It was pretty funny.  Hole 9 we all went for it trying to drive the green that is roughly 320 out but also has a slight downhill leading to it. He missed just right going down the hill to a shortsided blind chip that is...Mickelson would enjoy it, nobody else would. This was another time I really ramped up my swing trying to match him and hit a skyball that went nowhere. We had to take mine and from 160ish out, our balls came to rest about 3' apart with his again being slightly better.    We ended up 5 under for 9 which seems good...but better was the lessons I learned. If I play my game instead of trying to hit shots beyond my capability, play with confidence, consider the angles of my misses, don't get out of sorts from a bad shot I can manage the big numbers and have, for me, a good score.  I don't have his length, his wedge accuracy, the ability to hit a draw or cut as needed, so I am not going to be around par. But I can be better than I am without improving my swing, just making better choices. I have only ever broken 80 once and shot even 80 about a week ago...8 strokes better than any other round this year. The raw ability is there, I just need to play smarter. Then I can work on improving around the wedges...put the wedge to 8' instead of 8 yards more consistently, eliminate the mishits...   This seems like one of those things I just needed to think through and type out to lock those lessons in as I have learned many of them before but they didn't stick..but hey what do I know. There is a reason I am a mediocre golfer
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. afair1
      afair1
      (18 years old)
    2. jesikalopez
      jesikalopez
      (26 years old)
    3. jpokracki
      jpokracki
      (60 years old)
    4. krupa
      krupa
      (46 years old)
    5. ppine
      ppine
      (71 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...