IGNORED

How Many Hybrids Do You Carry?

Note: This thread is 1907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently have two in my bag - Adams Idea Pro Gold 3 and 4 hybrids in my bag.  I switch between the 4 iron and 4 hybrid depending on how I am hitting each club.

• 1 year later...
I own 3 (3,4 and 5H) but I honestly like 5i over my 5H. I only have it cause it came with a set. I consistently play the 4H(23* cobra S3) and 3H(20* Callaway Draw FT) although I am considering dropping the 3H for a Baffler 5W or add the 5W and drop a wedge.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I ditched my 4i and my 5w (both of which I really like hitting), with a 4h and 2h (both of which I like slightly better even).  (it was pretty easy to give up the 4i (much more consistent), but making the right decision to swap out the 5w was very hard - one of my favorite clubs....but the 2h goes the same distance and is usable in more lies.....

Really enjoying the hybrid concept.  I just started back golfing a couple years ago after a long layoff and these were new concepts to me.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The 'long-clubs' in my bag are TM 5 HL wood; #4 and #5 hybrids.  Also have the HL 3-wood as well, but only use that on 200 yard-ish par 3s or long ones into the wind.  The #4 hybrid goes about 170, the #5 about 160.  I can usually hit the #5 more consistently than the #4 off the fairway, but both equally well off tees on par 3s.  The HL 5w will be used to eat up yards on par 5s and the long par 4s that I can't reach in two.

I've been playing hybrids for the better part of 10 years now.  Anything that might be 'easier' to hit finds its way into my hands and usually into the bag!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I normally carry a Tour Edge Exotics XRail 4W (16.5*) and 7W (21*), and an Adams Idea V4 4H (22*).

The 4H carries a club+ longer than my 4i, and basically replaces a 3i.

I recently bought a 19* V4 3H, and may use it instead of the 7W on windy days (most likely in November through March).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have 19d and 22d (3&4 hybrids) to fill gap between 3w and 5i. 10.5 xhot w/ blur shaft Xhot 3w Xhot 3 hb Xhot 4 hb Razr x black irons 5-pw Renegar 50d,54d,58d Itsy bitsy spider

Always birdies and pars, Henry The room for improvement is vast that three lifetimes could be spent roaming the fairways,carving away at it, convinced that prefection lies just over the next rise. And that hope,perhaps,is the kindest bliss of all that golf bestows upon its devotees. - John Updike

The current answer is one.

If you are reading this the day I post it, the set makeup in my signature should reflect that I'm currently carrying a 23* hybrid in place of the 4i and a 7 wood in place of a 3i.  Tomorrow it may change again.

I don't seem to hit my 4i appreciably farther than my 5, probably because deficiencies in my skills, so the hybrid fills the gap better.  Sadly, if I am not careful about keeping a pretty steep swing with it, I will hit some unexpected hooks that always really hack me off and the club will fall out of the bag for a while.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I have a Callaway X-Hot 4 Hybrid in my bag to replace my 3 and 4 irons. Actually, I just got it new and on sale for $120. Took it to the range and really liked it, very easy to hit, sooo much easier then the 3 or 4 iron. When you start seeing PGA pro's putting them into their bags, I know i'm looong over due to put one in my bag !

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

I carry a 3W, 18 degree Hybrid, 23 degree hybrid, Irons start at 5. I've found that a hybrid's don't directly translate in distance to the irons, but I've found that my distance isn't going to be too precise from over 200 out anyway. I could honestly probably do away with the 3 wood on wide open courses

3h 17* & 4h 21* I also have a 2h I don't carry around, but it is an 18*.... Ya, I'm not sur why, but it came with the first set I bought from a lady that sold her husbands golf set... (She said he knew, but now that I think about it I am not so sure.. This another story for another time.. Maybe a thread?)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I play a hybrid iron set (Cleveland HiBore 3 )  which is hybrids 3-PW with great results. Average 10 yards more (and far straighter!) with each club over traditional irons. I'm now a 15 handicap and was a 17 before I put these bad boys in my bag early last year. However I am a senior player with slower swing speed so this may or may not be useful for you.

In any event, you are probably going to want to dump those 3i and 4i since they are far more difficult for most people to hit and don't have the distance of a well struck hybrid.

Anyway....looking at your club set up , you might consider dropping the 3 iron/hybrid all together since the 3W covers you there and in its place consider a Gap Wedge.  Looks like you have PW, SW and LW so there's a hole in your distances that the gap wedge ( sometimes called "A" Wedge  or "D" wedge depending on manufacturer ) would fill.

They are usually around 49 degrees loft and very useful from about 100 yards in. Many people also pitch and chip with them as well.   Good Luck.

One additional thought: If you like your 56 and 60 wedges it is very likely that you can also get a gap wedge from the same model line.

However you should try and demo several different ones so that you have some idea of the range of possibilities.

Enjoy the process and find the one that works best for you.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to rehash an old thread but this is a constant battle for me. My 23* 4H is absolute money. My 5W only goes 10 yards further on avg (185 vs 195) and is mishit much more often. I've owned a few 3H with little success and sold them on eBay. I resigned myself to the fact that my SS (low 90s with driver) makes hybrids less than 20* difficult for me.

I got an RBZ 3W for xmas this off season and can (pardon the language) smack the shit out of it. My hits off the deck aren't always forgiving but get plenty of distance. I was able to get an 18.5* RBZ tour hybrid off eBay for 20 bucks including shipping. It should arrive on Tuesday and I have high hopes for this club. Im very happy with my 3W and very happy with my 4H but theres a gap in there (185-215) and im having trouble finding the right club. THis club will be huge on par 5's/long par 4's/long par 3's...my Cobra Baffler 5W has had some decent days but I love my hybrids and my RBZ 3W and are hoping this will be the answer for distance with decent forgiveness.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Sorry to rehash an old thread but this is a constant battle for me. My 23* 4H is absolute money. My 5W only goes 10 yards further on avg (185 vs 195) and is mishit much more often. I've owned a few 3H with little success and sold them on eBay. I resigned myself to the fact that my SS (low 90s with driver) makes hybrids less than 20* difficult for me.

I got an RBZ 3W for xmas this off season and can (pardon the language) smack the shit out of it. My hits off the deck aren't always forgiving but get plenty of distance. I was able to get an 18.5* RBZ tour hybrid off eBay for 20 bucks including shipping. It should arrive on Tuesday and I have high hopes for this club. Im very happy with my 3W and very happy with my 4H but theres a gap in there (185-215) and im having trouble finding the right club. THis club will be huge on par 5's/long par 4's/long par 3's...my Cobra Baffler 5W has had some decent days but I love my hybrids and my RBZ 3W and are hoping this will be the answer for distance with decent forgiveness.

Let us know how it goes.  I use a 3H and a 4 Mizuno Fli Hi, which is an iron hybrid.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I've carried a 19.5 hybrid in the past, but don't currently carry any opting for a 5w & 4i instead.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I carry a 21 degree hybrid, and I use it so often that it's made my 5-wood obsolete (which is 18 degrees). It took me a while to actually like this hybrid, but now it's a very important club in my bag. Took me a while to figure out how to hit it.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 1907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!