IGNORED

Please Help! - Do I need new irons or can this be fixed?

Note: This thread is 4232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good Morning All, hoping that someone can help me.  Here is the issue:  I am unable to hit my 4, 5, 6, and 7 irons consistently at all.  Many times I will hit them and the ball hooks left.  I tried weakening my grip so the ball would not go left as much.  I'm at the point now where I cannot weaken my grip anymore as it already feels very odd striking the ball with such a weak grip that I am losing quite a bit of power due to such a weak grip and the way the undersides of my forearms now have to come down to strike the ball.

I believe that the issue is with the "offset" of my irons.  I just started golfing on June 2nd of 2012 and bought my irons brand new from Dicks.  I did not get fitted for them, just tried hitting several different models and settled on the TaylorMade Burner Plus Irons with steel shafts.  It seems that the offset is so extreme that it is forcing me to have such a weak grip and not able to hit many of my irons (note:  I do not have this issue with the 8, 9, PW, or AW).

On the course yesterday someone mentioned that the offset was huge and that this could be the reason for my struggles.  I never thought about this before.  Could this be the case?  If this is the case is it possible to either bend/change the offset myself or have a professional do this?  Or is it because I purchased max-game improvement irons and am ready for maybe just game improvement or regular irons?

Any feedback/advice is greatley appreciated.  Thanks,

BJ

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I should also mention that I do not hit my 5 or 6 iron further than my 7 iron usually.  In most cases the 5 and 6 iron travel the same if not less distance than the 7 iron.  I usually hit my 7 iron 150-160 yards or so.

I've checked my alignment and set up and it seems fine, it's just that with the 4,5,6, and 7 irons I have to have the ball placed almost back to my right foot (I'm right handed) and even then many times the ball hooks left.

If you just started playing on 6/2/2012 then it is unlikely that you have an equipment problem. Although most golfers do love to blame their equipment for their bad swing results. You have learned this in a short period of time.

There are many excellent articles on TST about ball flight direction. The ball starts in the direction of the clubface and curves based on your swingpath. A single digit handicapper could both draw and fade the ball with your clubs even with the offset.

I would suggest taking a swing lesson from a qualified instructor before you invest any more money in equipment to learn more about your swingpath and clubface control.

Originally Posted by 2thetee

If you just started playing on 6/2/2012 then it is unlikely that you have an equipment problem. Although most golfers do love to blame their equipment for their bad swing results. You have learned this in a short period of time.

There are many excellent articles on TST about ball flight direction. The ball starts in the direction of the clubface and curves based on your swingpath. A single digit handicapper could both draw and fade the ball with your clubs even with the offset.

I would suggest taking a swing lesson from a qualified instructor before you invest any more money in equipment to learn more about your swingpath and clubface control.

Since you just started playing, you should get your clubs fitted for the correct lie and length so that your clubs are NOT an excuse. The offset is not really a problem but ill-fitting clubs could train a bad swing. Just have someone who knows what they are talking about fit you clubs to your body. This is done with a tape measure not by hitting balls. Is your hook a result of a bad swing? Most likely. But if the clubs don't fit your body and INTENDED swing, they how can you be sure.

If your clubs do not fit, you most likely can have the lie bent to fit you. As for length, for now, choke up if they are too long. If they are too short, you may have an issue. But get fitted.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I am not BLAMING my clubs at all.  I just want to know if it's possible to have clubs bent to change the offset on an iron or if that is not possible and the only way to change the offset is to get a new set of irons with the desired offset?

I certainly wasn't saying you were blaming your clubs. My instructors often say you need to have clubs that fit so that you know the clubs are not to blame.

As for bending clubs to reduce offset, I think that is beyond normal club adjusts of lie and loft. If you want less offset, time for new clubs. Change length --yes. Change lie -- yes. Change loft -- yes. Change offset -- I don't think so.

Perhaps there are some more mechanically inclined guys who have changed the offset on irons. I do not recall seeing that as an option at the few places where I have had clubs adjusted.

IMHO, lie, and length matter most.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

RRC is suggesting you get what is called a basic static fitting. This fitting checks the length of your shafts, the lie angle, and your grip size. Also, you can get an idea of what shaft flex you need according to your swing speed.

In the early going, you want clubs which won't hurt your game. If the clubs don't match your body size and stance, it will be difficult to make progress.

After you have been playing awhile and your swing stabilizes you might consider more advanced fittings. But for now, static is all you need, because your swing will differ quite a bit from day to day until you find  your groove.

And, you will find your groove a lot faster if you heed 2thetee's advice and take some lessons. I worry you may be ingraining a lot of bad habits in your swing if your efforts so far have been self-taught.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!